ford couier 2.5 diesel turbo upgrade ?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 18:48
ThreadID: 108517 Views:1954 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hi all i have a 1998 ford courier 2.5 diesel non turbo and its sluggish in power. only does 100ks max. has had new head , new injector pump, new injectors , valves adjusted and compression test done and timing checked , it all checks out good. Also new gearbox. anyway i bought a turbo off 2002 model but i cant work out where the oil lines and hoses go coming off the turbo.everything else seems to bolt up no worries. im thinking i may have needed the plate on the side of the motor that the oil filter screws onto? has anyone got any pictures of these lines and where they go or can help me out thanks Mick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bluefella - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 09:07

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 09:07
G'day Michael
If no luck here, try "ford Australia forums". They cover the Ford courier.
AnswerID: 535130

Reply By: Hoyks - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 18:49

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 18:49
I looked at doing this to mine, slowly acquired all the bits, but the turbo was dodgy so it didn't get installed. I put up with it for 5 years, then bought a new BT50 ;-)

Do you have the rigid oil lines that come off the turbo? If you fit the rigid inlet tube it will align with a hole in the oil cooler that will need to be drilled and tapped to get the lubricating oil from the oil cooler to the turbo. There are other plugged ports on the forward side of the oil cooler that would be much easier to fit a flexible line with either a nipple or a banjo fitting to.

On the drivers side firewall where the water runs to the heater there are some spare plugged off branches that would be ideal to draw the cooling water from. You may need to use a T fitting for the water return.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 535149

Follow Up By: Hoyks - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 23:23

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 23:23
Oh, and for the oil return you will have to install a point for it to drain into the sump, or tap into the rocker cover and let it dump into there.
FollowupID: 819018

Reply By: Michael C22 - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 09:41

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 09:41
iv been putting this off for afew months but it might not be as hard as 1st thought. thanks for you help mate. I still may have to check out on a newer model how it was done at factory. maybe i need more pipes or hoses and fittings.
AnswerID: 535174

Follow Up By: Michael C22 - Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 17:04

Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 17:04
ok so i got all my pieces together, he gave me the thermostat housing so i can just bolt that on and i get the water into turbo spout. the water out of turbo goes into a hose that goes back into the front of the head, mine doesnt have the little spout for this but it shouldnt be hard to fit something in there i reckon or just a T piece in the hose, so that is the water side of it sorted. Now the oil side i have the metal pipe for the oil into turbo but ill have to drill n tap the plate where the oil cooler is located. this plate will have to be removed to prevent filings getting into the motor. And the oil return, well where does it go back into, on the turbo models? Sump? or tappet cover? I was thinking maybe i could buy one of those adapters that screw onto/ under the oil filter that you can connect an external oil cooler too. do you think that could work? I reckon that would be the easiest option.. will my exhaust just bolt up aswell ? anything else i need to look out for. All help and ideas would be very much appreciated. thankyou
FollowupID: 819410

Sponsored Links