Free or cheap in Darwin

Submitted: Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:15
ThreadID: 108520 Views:2834 Replies:4 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Am in a caravan park in Darwin for $50 a night unpowered which I think is legalised theft. A patch of dead grass with a bus load of kids next to me making a racquet and nothing special. I want to stay here in Darwin but not at that price. Anyone know of any places with sensible prices. I don't need power or anything else for that matter. Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John and Regina M - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:46

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 22:46
Doesn't sound like theft to me.
You chose to pay.
AnswerID: 535119

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 07:52

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 07:52
No, I think you are confused... let me explain. When people say "legalised theft" they usually mean that they are being charged way too much for what they are getting. He's not saying it's actual theft...that would be silly. In this case, the poster is really asking if there are other more affordable places to stay in Darwin. I hope that clears it up. I'm sorry to say that I actually have no suggestions for alternative accomodation, do you John and Regina M?
FollowupID: 818954

Follow Up By: baznpud (tassie) - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 08:11

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 08:11
There at it again, negative response's.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 818956

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 08:53

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 08:53
Thanks for helpful answer. I actually arrived late in town and by the time I had checked out 4 caravan parks, 2 being full I actually didn't have much choice. I do think its way overpriced but seems to be the going rate up here. I personally think it's way to much but if people pay then that's fine. I will check out those other places mentioned today. Thanks mike for your backup once again lol. Cheers.
FollowupID: 818958

Follow Up By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 11:45

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 11:45
perhaps negative responses are natural when you ask a question in such a negative way?
You said everywhere was full and people were happy to pay $50 a night.. sounds like a supply and demand issue rather than theft..
Unfortunately, most things in Darwin are expensive, but if that's where you want to be, you unfortunately need to pay the going rate.
I hope you find something more affordable for you.

Cheers
FollowupID: 818966

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 12:32

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 12:32
Nothing wrong with the question or his comment in regard to pricing at all. Some might think $50 a fair price, many wouldn't, but for anyone travelling up that way it's a useful observation in any case.
FollowupID: 818968

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 12:42

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 12:42
Not sure what the go is with this site. Seems always someone wanting to have a dig. Simple question- simple answer. I don't get it. I respond and then I get into trouble. If you can't help me don't bother with the comments thanks.
FollowupID: 818969

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:26

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:26
Was that the price for two Kirk, or do you have family with you?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 819005

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 23:31

Friday, Jun 27, 2014 at 23:31
Hi Kirk

I have sent you a member message.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535123

Follow Up By: bazz - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 08:01

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 08:01
Reserve next to Berrimah prison ... traffic noise bad on road side , about 38 a night powered, don't know for unpowered.
FollowupID: 818955

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 08:34

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 08:34
I have replied privately, due to a request that it not be publicised on the internet. Yes, the powered sites back onto the Stuart Highway.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 818957

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:55

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:55
As Kirk has ascertained, by the terms of their licence they can only accept full caravans, pop top caravans, motor homes and bus type motor homes. They do not permit campervans, tents, rooftop tents, slideons, swags, sleeping in cars, backpacker vans, or caravans where the beds extend out the end with canvas.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819011

Reply By: Member - Kirk L - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 09:02

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 09:02
Ok that particular park will not allow camper trailers so I'm still interested in any " positive" replies to my initial question. Thanks
AnswerID: 535129

Follow Up By: JimDi - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:51

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 21:51
Hi Kirk,
Not sure if this will help and it might pay to ring prior to moving. We pulled intl Lee Point Park last year in Darwin to stay a few nights as we had friends staying there and we wanted to catch up. The place is run by caretakers and when I first walked into the office I was a bit taken back by the price of $50 a night plus some sort of deposit. We stayed 3 nights from memory and when we pulled up to camp next to our friends I made the comment (tongue in cheek) that their friendship was expensive. They were surprised as they made the comment that their weekly rent was nowhere near that costly.
Cannot remember what they paid but you could ring and check.
Jim
FollowupID: 819009

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:04

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:04
Thanks Jim and Di. I am actually at lee point but they didn't say anything about that. I asked and it's $250 a week unpowered which brings it down to a reasonable $35 a night. Thanks again
FollowupID: 819035

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 17:49

Saturday, Jun 28, 2014 at 17:49
Being local we don't frequent the van parks around Darwin but agree about some of the pricing we've heard about is excessive.

We drove down to Katherine and back yesterday and from the numbers of vans headed North we can imagine that getting a spot where you want to be isn't going to get any easier. Apart from the normal Dry Season influx of Southerners wanting to thaw out there's also the national Polocrosse championships being held just South of Darwin in just over a week so it could be worse than normal. We saw a lot of horse floats headed this way and while they wouldn't be wanting van parks they might have associated visitors doing so.

You didn't say how close to Darwin you want to be but there are places out of Darwin that you could try. There's Lakes caravan park at Berry Springs and Tumbling Waters a bit further out that road. With the back road from Berry Springs and coming in past Palmerston it isn't a long way out. There's a van park at Noonamah but has had some feral behaviour. It's much further away but there's Coomalie Ck van park just South of the Batchelor turnoff, but don't confuse this with the day use only roadside stop nearby. The van park had a lot there yesterday so although it's noted as closed in the "Places" section of this Forum I've added an amendment. In Camps Aust Wide it's also marked as open in their amendment's. It looked like there's plenty of space available. Further out is Adelaide River and the Showgrounds. It's not supposed to be a camping spot but there were a few that looked like they were settling in for the night at the Manton Dam Wall day use only roadside stop.
AnswerID: 535147

Follow Up By: Member - Kirk L - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:36

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 11:36
Thanks Phil. Not a bad place up here. I like what they have done with the waterfront area etc. been here years ago but just FIFO through airport mainly. As you can see from my post above weekly rate is not so bad. I'm checking out work in the gas plant up here as I heard they were screaming for fitters. Be able to afford it then lol. Thanks for info anyway. Will certainly look into it.
FollowupID: 819041

Sponsored Links