Is anyone able to use Windows 8 for the InmarSat Firmware Upgrade???

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:15
ThreadID: 108540 Views:1796 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

Yesterday I posted details regarding the latest firmware upgrade for the IsatPhone Pro 5.6.1

You would have read, that I did 2 upgrades yesterday, both successful in around 10 minutes each.

The reason why the second one, no I do not have 2 Sat Phone, was that my friend is running Windows 8 and can not get the Update Tool to work on his computer, yet works fine on my Windows 7.

Is there anyone out there having the same issues with Windows 8??

Dean contacted InmarSat, and this is their poor reply...

Hello

Please be advised that we don’t have a drivers for OSX unfortunately

Thanks

Kind Regards,

Ashok Nachiappan
Technical Service Consultant, Technical Helpdesk
Global Customer Operations

Inmarsat
99 City Road
London EC1Y 1AX
United Kingdom

Like Dean said, " They can track that missing Malaysian flight MH370 back in March, but can't support their customers who buy their product in good faith."

Does anyone out there have an answers to get around this major issue.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:32

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:32
I tried to update it recently when we were travelling and was unable to do it on the Lap Top with Windows 8 and have only just upgraded it today on my home unit using XP Pro.
I don't think they have upgraded their drivers or are unaware that Windows 8 is the current OpSys.

Cheers
Merv
AnswerID: 535212

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:46

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 18:46
Hi Merv

Yes Dean was not able to update his at all, and it is quite poor to think that such a major playing in the Satellite Phone game can not get their drivers up to date.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819076

Reply By: cookie1 - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 21:08

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 21:08
Funny thing is I looked up the Firmware release and decided to go ahead and do it as it is an operational update rather than a feature set.

I'm running Windows 7 and only received my phone just over 2 months ago, so I installed the USB drivers and then the Firmware Update file from the CD to no avail, downloaded latest files from Inmarsat and voila, so it is obviously a slightly updated files.

Maybe this will help, does Windows 8 have a compatability mode?

cheers

AnswerID: 535227

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 22:16

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 22:16
Hi Cookie

To be honest, I never loaded the CD on my laptop, as it does not have a disc drive, and did the same as you, went to their web site and downloaded the details and it has worked for the last 4 firmware updates.

Have a look at my next reply below on what Dean was able to do for himself.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819095

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 22:20

Sunday, Jun 29, 2014 at 22:20
Well, to those that are running Windows 8, here is what Dean was able to find out for himself after a number of hours on the internet and much perseverance.

Hello again Stephen & David,

Since my last email to you both I have been trawling through the internet for a fix to my problem. Several hours later .............................
If you go into Properties for the icon for the USB Driver Install program you can then open Compatibility and I can then tell my computer to open this program in whatever version of Windows it allows. In this case I selected Windows 7 even though I don't have that installed. I then ran the USB Driver installation and it successfully installed the download in the Windows 7 format.

This is worth noting for other older programs.

What annoys me is Inmarsat are quick to say Windows 8 isn't supported with no further assistance offerred. If a nit wit like me can work this out surely Inmarsat can do the same particularly if they can find information on the flight path of H370 in March.

Anyway David you may have to do similarly and we can then leave Stephen in peace.........I shouldn't say that just yet.

I hope this will help everyone out.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 535234

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:18

Monday, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:18
Good result. Thanks for sharing the info.

I've found these drivers to be pretty sensitive to the PC config. Some of the earlier updates would work with XP and others wouldn't.

Compatibility mode can often be a get out of jail card. Another option if it still applies in later versions of Windows is to try an install in Safe Mode. That can eliminate some conflicts.

A final option is to find one of the dealers who'll do the update for a modest fee. May be worth it to keep the blood pressure under control ;-)
FollowupID: 819120

Sponsored Links