Road from Gladstone Monto road to Bruce Hghwy near Miriam Vale.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 07:09
ThreadID: 108574 Views:3675 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
Currently at Boynedale Bush camp for a few days and thinking of travelling south along Gladstone Monto road and turning onto the dirt road to connect with the Bruce Highway near Miriam Vale, providing it is suitable for caravans.
We noticed a sign on the Gladstone Monto road closer to Calliopewhich says the road through to Monto is unsuitable for caravans as it has a steep uphill section but not sure whether it is before the turn we wish to take or after.

Can someone please give me some information as we would rather not have to retrace our steps to Calliope if possible.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosss - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:43

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 09:43
Went through there before Christmas, I personally would not take my van through there, simply because of the steepness of some of the hills and the lose gravel surface.
AnswerID: 535331

Reply By: Sidetracked - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 12:06

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 12:06
We went through there at Easter. The road is dirt in some sections with a lot of new causeways, the hill climb at the sign refers to is a 2klm quite steep climb but is tarred road all the way, we idled up at about 25kls per hour transmission temp climbed a little but all ok
AnswerID: 535334

Reply By: BunderDog - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 12:24

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 12:24
It's a lot better than it was as they have done a lot work in the past couple of years, the worst section at the top of Many Peaks Range is sealed so not too bad but is quite steep near the top. Be warned though that timber jinkers also use this road so be aware.
AnswerID: 535335

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 19:25

Wednesday, Jul 02, 2014 at 19:25
Thanks to all three for your replies.

We have decided to travel, with care, on this road unless it rains during the next few days. I spoke to another camper this morning and he towed their pop top van through there a few days ago and said they didn't meet another vehicle and that he thought it was fine given our tow vehicle, a Mazda BT 50.
We have travelled on quite a lot of dirt roads so know to drive to the conditions.

regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819224

Follow Up By: Member - RUK - Thursday, Jul 03, 2014 at 18:12

Thursday, Jul 03, 2014 at 18:12
The Council is currently working on sections of this road with half sections on very steep climbs closed. You will find steep climbs and winding roads in the first section off the Boyne Valley Road when you turn into Blackmans Gap Road. Extreme caution recommended, in fact I would not tow a caravan through there.
FollowupID: 819255

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 10:40

Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 10:40
We turned off at many Peaks and came out at Old Kalpower on the Bruce Horrorway. Magic drive but very steep in places. We lost traction on one steep section with a loose gravelled surface and wife had to exit the vehicle as we slowly slid backwards towards a corner to lock the wheels. Done successfully and we powered away in 4WD low.

Regards John

FollowupID: 819298

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 10:48

Friday, Jul 04, 2014 at 10:48
Well Grumblebum, we certainly won't be taking THAT road with the van in tow!!! Sounds terrifying!
regards,
Heather

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 819301

Sponsored Links