Cape yorks

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 05, 2014 at 20:25
ThreadID: 108613 Views:1597 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Any one recently returned from the tip of Cape York we are about 3days out any any recent road info would be appreciated towing jayco of road. Van
Thanks mazzy1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 10:34

Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 10:34
We were up there on the last week of May and the road was good with only a few whoopies in it to keep your heart in your mouth. We averaged 80kph with the van on the back and I am glad we went when we did as according to a member on the Kedron Owners Forum in mid June that they got only as far as 75k's north of Laura and had to turn back as the road was impassable, so it was interesting to read only a fortnight after our return. I believe that the road crews are still furiously working but I think the weather is beating them. Unless it has improved 200% I would not be taking a road van up there just yet. I hope you get some more info from recent travellers. Try putting a call through to Archer River Road house they will certainly be able to give you the latest info.

Cheers

Merv
AnswerID: 535512

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 13:23

Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 13:23
Yes, and I guess one persons 'impossible road conditions' are nothing of note to more experienced travellers who drop their tyre pressures and speed and drive to the conditions. We will depart Cooktown for the Tip next Thursday and are not expecting any problems unless there is extensive rainfall before we depart.

Cheers

John and Jean
FollowupID: 819386

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 13:28

Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 13:28
I do not know what the current conditions are but have heard from someone just returned that they are very good. However the conditions are likely to deteriorate with increasing use and I do not believe a Jayco is the ideal vehicle for extensive corrugated road conditions. I would pack a good tool kit - spare screws and roof clamps etc if it is a pop-top and some Sikaflex sealant to dip any loose screws into before re-tightening.

Regards John
AnswerID: 535526

Reply By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 14:54

Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 14:54
You will have no worries, your towing a caravan up the PDR, it's just a dirt road, nothing serious about, just be wary of the numerous bleep s coming towards you. I hope you take in some of the magnificent history of the Cape, rather than be a member of a large group that think getting to the tip is what the Cape it is all about.

Cheers
Tony F8.
AnswerID: 535541

Follow Up By: Mazzy1 - Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 20:17

Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 20:17
Thanks for all the feedback I have had my jayco outback in some fairly rough terrain and have had no Mager problems always carry plenty of spares a. Nd a s I am a. Retired diesel mechanic and my travelling companion was a fitter and turner we usually manage to get out of trouble most times will see how it pans out thanks a gain mazzy1
FollowupID: 819438

Reply By: Member - OnYaBike - Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 22:11

Sunday, Jul 06, 2014 at 22:11
I am at Seisia at the moment. I agree with the comments made re road conditions. There is plenty of traffic. I posted last week that there was no fuel at Coen so consider Musgrave 120 km South or Archer River 60 km North. Someone else may be able to comment on current situation.
AnswerID: 535567

Sponsored Links