Thermal pants? What to choose?

Submitted: Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 09:16
ThreadID: 108685 Views:1370 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey there all,
Going up to the Vic High country in a couple of weeks. We are staying in swags, and doing some big walks during the day. In some points I will be taking breaks on the walk and sitting and waiting. My question is....what sort of thermal pants should I buy? I've seen all sorts, merino, polypropylene and others. They also range from $25 up to $150! Do I need to spend heaps?
Cheers Chriso.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 09:32

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 09:32
We use Icebreaker merino wool thermals, use to have the cheap synthetic stuff years ago when there was not a big choice here in Australia.

After changing to the Icebreaker merino wool ones the difference is phenomenal, much better temperature regulation, more comfortable and does not stink after a few days like the synthetic ones.

The art is to layer to get the desired result.

Any quality merino thermals will set you back 10 times more but are well worth it.

Good quality beanie, gloves and a jacket are well worth it.

Nothing worse them being cold and wet when away.
AnswerID: 535857

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:20

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:20
Mountain designs have got a sale on at the moment.

You'll pay $70 odd for the 80wt merino thermal longs but they are worth it. polyprop overheats and you end up having to strip off. As stated you can wear merino for a week and they still wont smell.
If you don't mind the sleek look, we have started wearing our thermal cycling 'legs' out hunting with good results. They retain heat when wet, don't attract burs like thermals, and can be simply pushed down when you heat up. Lots of cool retro reflective tape for the rescue chopper to look for at night time too, or lots of nikko to black it all out for hunting......
Torpedo 7 website does NZO merino t shirts for about $30 on sale. I wear one quite literally all winter under everything - the most comfortable thing I own.
I just grabbed a mountain designs 240+ merino hoodie on sale for $180 (half price) which is a bargain for this weight gear. Once you are a convert you wont wear anything else.
Look to end up buying 3 good quality layers and never get rid of them.
Oh, and Teko merino socks rule - expensive but awesome.
AnswerID: 535873

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 18:28

Friday, Jul 11, 2014 at 18:28
thumbs up here for the merino - I paid about $40 for the sexy leggings at Rays outdoors (a top will cost the same) and I wear em at home in winter instead of pyjamas. Got a full set for all the family for cold overnighters on the road or at home. Don't know what wt they are and we haven't tried the top end Katmandhu/Mountain Designs stuff but we had previously tried the synthetics and prefer these. Can be a bit itchy until they've been washed but excellent gear.
FollowupID: 819856

Sponsored Links