Toyota Coaster Air Con

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 12, 2014 at 18:06
ThreadID: 108710 Views:7899 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we bought a 2000 Toyota Coaster without air con, Hubby is working on the conversion to a Motorhome and now is looking to put air in the cabin only. Has anyone done this and could suggest where we could get parts/advice - we would be very grateful. We are presently travelling around Northern Rivers NSW. Thanks Joy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 21:19

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 21:19
Hi Joy,
When you say the 'cabin' are you referring to the 'front' of the vehicle ( as in driving position) or the 'rear' living area?
Aftermarket ducted air conditioning in the Coaster was a definite VERY POOR second cousin to the genuine ducted factory system that did work fairly well.
If you want to A/C the driving area it could be done, with a reasonable floor mounted unit or aroof top unit,......but you would need, what they call a cargo curtain. This is a clear sheet of heavy plastic fitted from the interior roof line, down the interior walls & across the floor, effectively separating the front 'cabin' from the rear.
If you want to put A/C in the rear (living area) I think you should be looking at a decent sized roof mounted 240v system
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 536027

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 14:13

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 14:13
Joy,

Check Red Dot roof mounted airconditioners. They are a popular brand for trucks and other agricultural/mining vehicles.

I put a similar type(different brand) in the cab of an elevating scraper once, and it was reasonably simple. Fit compressor to engine, cut hole in roof(you might need reinforcing in the Coaster roof) and fit condensor unit. Finally run hoses from compressor to roof unit and gas.

Found this website: http://www.autofrost.com.au/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=88&product_id=1323 This mob might have the parts you need if you decided to go down another track.

Good point Tony made about a curtain to restrict cool air getting back into the living area. Aircon is much more efficient doing this. A domestic split system might be the go if you wish to cool the living area as well.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536047

Follow Up By: Joy B - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 14:22

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 14:22
Hi Bob,
Thanks for your suggestions, which Mike is looking into. As I said to Tony its an expensive exercise fitting 2 air cons-, would rather spend the money on travelling. But then it will soon get too hot to do that in the Bus. Thanks anyway I'm a sure a solution is just around the corner.
regards Joy
FollowupID: 820135

Follow Up By: Slow one - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 14:54

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 14:54
I will second the red dot suggested by Bob.
FollowupID: 820136

Reply By: Joy B - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 14:16

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 14:16
Many thanks for your reply Tony, yes we are only looking for air con to cool the driving cabin, like in a car, as a rear one is being fitted into the roof (like caravan)when we get back from Melbourne. However, fitting 2 has become a very expensive exercise so we just want one for driver and passenger for now. Do you know of any models that would suit / we are also waiting for Toyota wreckers to contact us.
regards Joy & Mike

AnswerID: 536084

Sponsored Links