Saving Waypoints

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 08:48
ThreadID: 108720 Views:1902 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Having worked away setting out some waypoints on our trip to the Cape I awoke this morning to not be able to find either the map or the waypoints.
I'm using Windows 8.1 and have loaded the Hema Maps onto the screen.
I've managed to save one map "2014 Trip to the Cape" but there is no way I can see to save the first waypoint, in this case called "Home."
Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?
I'm working on the assumption I can save the map with the waypoints back to the mini SD card and then put it back into the HN7 Navigator.
Cheers, Trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:30

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 09:30
Hi Trevor

There are some importants things that you must remember when using Ozi, either the full version on a PC/Laptop or the great Hema units.

Firstly any saved waypoints are saved in a seperate location, where ever you have chosen to save your waypoints, and are not saved to a map.

Seeing you are using a computer to save your waypoints, you must save the waypoints in a location where you will remember where they are. If you are not sure, then create a new folder on your desktop for easy access.

With Ozi running, you can create manual waypoints on what ever map you have open, but before closing Ozi, you MUST SAVE THE WAYPOINTS TO FILE.

Once the points have been saved, it is then safe to close the Ozi programme.

To export those saved waypoints to your Hema, you must load firstly the Hema programme that will give you all the maps that you have loaded on your Hema. Once you have the programme loaded on your PC, you then load your saved waypoints onto you Hema programme, just as if it was a normal Ozi application. With this done, you will now have every waypoint that you have created on your PC now loaded onto your Hema map.

The next important step if you want to get those very same waypoints onto your Hema Navigator, is to connect your Navigator to your Windows computer with the supplied cable that comes with your Navigator. With this done correctly, your navigator will now be ready to accept the created waypoints. Using the correct tab at the top of the screens, select the tab...."send waypoints to Navigator"

With this complete, you have now sent every waypoint correctly to your top car mounted navigation unit. Once the Hema is now back in the car, you load what ever map you want to view, and providing that the created waypoints are on that area of map that you are looking at, the waypoints will be there automatically without having to load them.

But you must remember that waypoints are NEVER saved to a map, but as a waypoint file.

Everyone seems to knock the Hema Navigators, but in the end, it comes down to knowing how to use a very reliable, true remote navigation tool. Have a play and you will soon master Ozi and the use of creating and using waypoints.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536000

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:05

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:05
Hi Stephen - Thanks for that.
It is logical the waypoints would be saved on another layer above the map. I should have thought of that.
I wonder where all the waypoints from last night went?
I'll go through your instructions step by step tonight as I have to actually do some work today.
I think the navigator will work out, it just a bit mind blowing when you open it up. Very similar to Windows 8.
I wonder if the waypoints should be saved on a memory stick? That way you are not playing around with the original SD card?
Thanks again. Cheers, Trev
FollowupID: 820018

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:26

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:26
Hi Trev

The very first thing that I have done with my Navigator, is replace the standard Micro SD Card with a 32 gob card, with all the original data copied to the new card, as i have loaded a lot more maps. I then keep the original Micro card in a safe spot in the car, just in case something goes wrong with my inserted card, knowing I can go back to the original card very easy.

To keep things safe, I never work on the card in the unit, but on the computer. Once you are happy with all the waypoints created, I then connect the Hema to the laptop and transfer the data that way, and my card never comes out of the Hema. If you know what you are doing, I even add my new map files a similar way, again without having to remove the card from the unit.

My first and most important piece of advise, is to connect the Hema to your computer. Under "my computer" you will see your Hema as a new drive. Open that drive, eg drive e and copy the complete file onto a new file, USB drive or the like as a complete backup file for safe keeping.

Ruin or destroy your Hema files in the Navigator and you will then be up the creek without a paddle.

Have fun and as they say, practice makes perfect.

One you have mastered the Hema, they are a fantastic and very easy unit to use.

It makes me cross when people bag them out, when in fact they have no idea on just how simple they are to use.

Cheers and happy playing.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 820022

Follow Up By: Member - Niss42 - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 17:22

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 17:22
Is Trevor using Ozi ???

If yes the waypoints would be saved as a.wpt file, which a search should be able to locate.

Cheers,
Barry
FollowupID: 820054

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 18:23

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 18:23
Hi Barry

One would presume so, as he was talkng about waypoints for a Cape trip.

Also you do not have the option of marking a waypoint in iGo, so that would tell me that he must be using Ozi.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 820057

Reply By: Member - Phil 'n Jill (WA) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:14

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 10:14
Hi guys - I have no idea how Hema operates, but have had issues with Windows 8.1, which seems to have a mind of it's own, so just wondering if the files may have been filed away in 'the cloud' filing system or somewhere deep inside the puter where you may least expect to find it.

The only saving grace with 8.1 is a pretty good 'search' system which might help IF the file was saved somewhere.

Good luck

Cheers - Phil
Phil 'n Jill (WA)

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 536002

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 07:29

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 07:29
Trevor,

By default, all recorded files are stored in the Oziexplorer/Data directory, be it on the Hema or the PC version.

On the PC it will be OS(C:)/Oziexplorer/Data and within the Data directory you will find .plt (track file), .wpt (waypoint file) and .rte (created route file)

From within OziExplorer, there is a button on the top left side (second one in) named Load.
Click on this and you will have the option to load a Map file, load a track(multi) file, load a waypoint file, or load a route file.

The Hema Navigator will automatically load the most recent waypoint data recorded, at least until that waypoint file (stored in memory) is renamed and saved.
Then you can select one, or multiple files up to load at any time.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 536039

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 07:48

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 07:48
Thanks for the details Bill
I have run your instructions off and they are beside the keyboard.
Adding waypoints on the navigator screen is pretty easy although I have had a bit of difficulty getting them accurately positioned.
I'll master the ones on the PC screen and in a week and a day put them to the test.
Thanks again for your help - maybe yoy should write the user manual.
Cheers, Trev
FollowupID: 820093

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 08:27

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 08:27
Bill - You are a genius!!!!!! It worked
I'll put the waypoints in for the trip and then annoy you to find out how to save then to the navigator.
Thanks - Trev
FollowupID: 820096

Sponsored Links