Steep Point WA

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 17:38
ThreadID: 108725 Views:1539 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has driven there of late. I am planning our WA trip next year and would like to like Steep Point as the most Western Point on the Aussie mainland, however I fear that the last section may be just to sandy. We have a 4WD of course. Are there any tours that would be available to take if we can not make the drive ourselves. Appreciate any comments or suggestions. Thanks all in advance and safe travels to all. Cheers Greg & Di
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 18:00

Sunday, Jul 13, 2014 at 18:00
Hi Greg & Dianne,
Not recently..... about 2 years ago we stayed @ Whalebone Bay (camps 7 WA 342) allow a full day (return) to get to Steep Point & to soak in the experience...make sure you sign the visitors book & hopefully the weather is good on the day u decide to go there.....enjoy

Yes there is some sand to negotiate but nothing too hard..... narrow in places...I didn't even have to lower my tyre pressures (from memory)
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 536018

Follow Up By: Greg & Dianne - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 18:24

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 18:24
Thank you for your reply I hope we are able to do the drive
FollowupID: 820116

Reply By: B1B2 - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 14:30

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 14:30
Greg & Di,
We did it last year and it is well worth the drive. A fair bit of corrugations on the way in and a couple of sandy dunes. A high clearance 4wd would be better. Fisherman were towing trailers to their campsites. There is a loop road that takes in Steep Point and continues on via the Blow Holes at Thunder Bay and back to the main road in. We met a family in a new Prado at the Steep Point sign. They had already been bogged to the axles and had to dig out. They were not prepared to do the loop on their own and asked if we could travel together, which we did. There were a few good angles on the loop track and you may get a wheel in the air. Carry a bit of recovery gear, definitely a shovel. I didn't have any trouble in my 80 series. We were staying at Nanga Bay resort in a our caravan and it was a 370km round trip.

Enjoy the Trip

Bill
AnswerID: 536048

Follow Up By: Greg & Dianne - Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 18:23

Monday, Jul 14, 2014 at 18:23
Thanks for that, I really hope that we can do it.
FollowupID: 820115

Sponsored Links