mobiles phones - reception

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:22
ThreadID: 10874 Views:1942 Replies:9 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
which mobile phones, preferably affordable, have the best reception as a standalone unit?

it would also be preferable that they had an easily available car kit with provision for an external antenna at a later date.

cheers, tim c
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Anne - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:31

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:31
Hi Tim,

As I understand it, the reception is dependent on the network, rather than the phone. The biggest network round Oz is Telstra CDMA, which doesn't give you total coverage, but is pretty good. I would love to be able to recommend my Nokia phone, but sadly it is no longer available. I am sure that there are others which are just as good.

How about looking for a second hand phone, there must be lots of them out there, belonging to the people who must have the latest technology.

Good luck
Anne
AnswerID: 48528

Reply By: Roachie - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:36

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:36
I had a Nokia GSM mobile (not sure of the code/model, but can find out) and a full in car kit.
I then got moved here to country SA where CDMA is the way to go. At first I thought I'd be up for a few ton to replace the in-car kit, but for once in my life the Gods were smiling down on me. They actually make a Nokia CDMA phone which sits in the same car kit. If I want even better reception, I should replace my existing broomstick GSM with a CDMA broomstick.
GSM works best in the city and CDMA (as a rule of thumb) will get you better range in the bush.
I also use a HF radio for when I'm well out in the boonies
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 48529

Follow Up By: Gazza - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 23:22

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 23:22
Folks,
I have a Nokia 6310 and a car kit and my wife has the CDMA equivalent which fits the same car kit and it's a great setup for touring. I don't need all the advanced features (camera etc) but who does?? we are still testing the Telstra CDMA coverage in remote areas but it seems pretty good so far.

If you are really concerned a EPIRB is cheap insurance if you need to call in the Rescue folks. i hav'nt ever needed to call help but as we get older I guess the need to summon help in an emergency becomes more relevant.
Gazza
FollowupID: 310640

Reply By: tdcockers - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:42

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:42
im looking at the real cheap end of the market at the moment - a nokia 3315 for $159 or a sony-ericcson t105 for $157. any thoughts?

cheerio
AnswerID: 48531

Follow Up By: Roachie - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 16:24

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 16:24
My CDMA cost me $0 up-front, but I had to sign up with Telstra for a 2 year plan. This includes something like $22- per month for the phone itself and a $10- per month usage plan. I hardly ever use my phone, but do get a few incoming calls. The $10- per month allows me to have a one hour period every day when I can ring anywhere in Oz to either a fixed or mobile phone on any network for up to 20 minutes for no charge. I can select the hour of the day that I want this to be available (I've chosen 19.00 to 20.00). It works well for me and I especially liked the upfront outlay!!!
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 310358

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:49

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:49
Most of the current phones are crap for reception..

If it doesn't have a jack for an external aerial, then give it a miss.

It seems most manufacturers are more interested in ringtones, games and cameras than they are about reception and call quality.

I have a Nokia 6385 (which had some problems that I had sorted under warranty) and it is the best phone for coverage that I have come accross, I have mates with the latest Kyocera and samsung (both of which are supposed to be the ducks guts), any my Nokia regularly outperforms them.

If you are serious about coverage, yo have to look at CDMA. It works totally differently to GSM and that is why it has greater range.

(I'm sure that I or others could explain the differences if needed)
AnswerID: 48532

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 21:26

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 21:26
I also live in country SA and have had a Kyocera CDMA for the past 2 years. Only really use it when travelling. It works well enough and has good reception. But CDMA is limited as well with reception only near to major towns. At the beginning of April there will be a CDMA/Satelite phone available and monthly connection costs around $28. Not sure of the other Sat phone costs but when you use the CDMA function it works as a normal mobile phone.Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 48566

Reply By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 21:46

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 21:46
Tim, I'also live country SA and have a CDMA Samsung model SCH-N181 with an in car kit and high gain anntenna and have had better (longer) coverage with a Nokia non CDMAunit. Features are good and number of towers off the main highways are improving but had better reception previously.
Can't comment on cost as I only pay for personal calls.I'd rather have my bum on a beach in Broome
Than be stuck here in this damn room.
AnswerID: 48569

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 22:03

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 22:03
Tim,

Have the use of a Kyocera QCP3035 CDMA phone, and I didn't think it had real good reception in some areas. Used it to send a text message when I was almost 50 kms from a cell, using only the inbuilt antenna. The receiver confirmed he'd received it, when I was speaking to him later. This is at Winton. Qld.

Don't know if a car kit is available, I'm not close enough to any cells to warant using an ICK.

hooroo...
AnswerID: 48578

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 21:14

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 21:14
CDMA is the only way to go for country work if you do not want to buy a Sat phone. Telstra are the only suppliers of the CDMA system, (I think) so you have to deal with them. You can buy phones outright for as little as $350 and then go on to any of their plans. We have one on a $10 plan. They will give you a "time payment" system with no interest to pay for the phone. If you deside to pay for it over 12 months they just divide the cost of the phone by 12 and add that to your monthly plan cost. Telstra will give you maps of each state to show the coverage both with and without a car kit. I understand you can buy an arial that you can place on your roof and plug into the phone which will give you the same extra coverage as a car kit and the arial costs about $140. The only problem with CDMA is that in places like Sydney the reception is poor to non existant, particularly inside large buildings.
By the way, Telstra have Motorala Sat phones for under a $1000.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
AnswerID: 48685

Follow Up By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:55

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:55
Richard and Leonie,
Can you give me more info on the sat phones for less than $1000. Is that now or a while ago. Who do I contact. Thanks.

Mal T.
FollowupID: 310556

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:14

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:14
Mal
I just went to one of their shops when we got the CDMA. They had two available. Both Motorala. One was about $950 the other was about $1950. I cannot remember the models but the expensive one was smaller. It did not seem to be any big deal to them, like they sold them every day of the week. The shop was in the Warriewood shopping mall in Sydney. Telstra shops in Sydney are mostly franchises and that may make a difference with the equipment and service they provide.Richard and Leonie, The grey nomads.
FollowupID: 310576

Follow Up By: Member - Mal (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:38

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 13:38
Thanks Richard and Leonie. I grew up in Dee Why and Manly so I know the area well. I am also grey and will become nomadic in August.
Thanks again,

Mal T.
FollowupID: 310682

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:16

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 22:16
Check with Telstra because now they have the Motorala 9505 available contract with $30 a month access fee. Look at their web site under country heading. Much cheaper than renting one and you have one for keeps.
FollowupID: 311069

Reply By: Redjack - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:12

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:12
Bought my son a Nokia 2280 CDMA phone, seems to work well. Has a car kit available.
AnswerID: 48714

Sponsored Links