Mounting a Redarc 1225 Charger

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 07:19
ThreadID: 108743 Views:2541 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I'm in the planning stage of up-grading the auxiliary battery set up my 2006 turbo diesel 100 series cruiser and would appreciate information from people who have installed the Redarc 1225 bcdc battery charger in a 100 series. I have looked through other forums with mixed results. My current set up is that the 3rd (Aux battery) is located on the passengers side behind the fuse box. Im replacing the small 55ah with a larger capacity battery and using the 1225 charger in place of the isolator.
The question is where is a good place to install the charger where it will function correctly with regards to heat, water (if mounted behind the grill) etc.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Howard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 08:11

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 08:11
Hi Howard, mine's not a 100 Series but may help. It's a Troopy.
I use two aux batteries each with its own BCDC1220.
One battery with its 1220 is in the rear of the cabin. The other aux battery is in the engine bay but its 1220 is behind the glovebox to avoid engine heat. The cables through the firewall are quite short.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536067

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 09:07

Tuesday, Jul 15, 2014 at 09:07
We always mount them on a custom made panel attached to the radiator support on the passengers side that goes across the radiator...... The BCBC gets mounted vertically behind the grill but in front of the radiator/condenser. (next to passenger side head light)

By mounting it like that you get maximum cold air flow around it and it's out the way, you can still see the display.

Make sure the bracket is made in a way to stop resonance that causes metal fatigue, attach the bracket with tree mounting points (two at top and one at bottom).

Make sure when drilling in the radiator support you don't drill into the loom behind it or pick up the original bolt holes.
AnswerID: 536073

Follow Up By: Member - Howard P (WA) - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 05:10

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 05:10
Hi Allan, thanks for the good idea but not too sure if there much available space behind the glove box - will have look when I get back to Aus.
Hi olcoolone, thanks for another good idea. Would you have a photo of the bracket set up? Reason I'm asking is that I'm currently at work in West Africa and will have hit the ground running when I get home as I will have less than 2 weeks in August to get all this done (plus a million other things LOL) before our trip up north in October.

Many thanks

Howard

FollowupID: 820174

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:24

Wednesday, Jul 16, 2014 at 08:24
I knew I should of taken photos of the ones we have done, no photos but I might be able to get a photo of one of our customers.

Pretty easy to do once you have a look at your vehicle, don't forget the relay for the solar set up, you have to use a 70amp change over type.
FollowupID: 820177

Follow Up By: Member - Howard P (WA) - Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 06:31

Thursday, Jul 17, 2014 at 06:31
Many thanks alcoolone, if you happen to get a photo from one your customers that would be great. But if not that's OK, I'll sus it out when I get home. 70 amp relay is now on the list.
Cheers
Howard
FollowupID: 820254

Sponsored Links