Spare cable/plug under GU

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:27
ThreadID: 10875 Views:2013 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I was just under my 2000 GU (4.2, ST........but dunno whether that makes any difference to my question). I noticed there is a maroon coloured electical plug hanging down from the truck and wondered if anybody knows what it's for? It's located just above the rear uni joint, at the back of the sub-tank and has split tubing covering the cables.
Could it be something to do with an electically disconnectable rear sway bar (does the TI still have this..........the GQ in TI trim did as far as I know).

Just curious......

I was under there re-installing my 2 sway bars. With the front one, I lashed out and bought a pair of Snake Racing quick disconnects, but I know they are not "quick re-connects"......

cheers

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:50

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 15:50
Roachie,

My guess is, and I am assumeing you have a diesel, the plug could have somthing to do with the fuel pump in the aux tank. The one hanging down could be for the petrol model.

Because the system is set up to pump fuel from the aux tank to the main, they might have a different pump for diesel and petrol,this could explain the plug.

I would not worry to much about it, when they put the wiring loom to-gether they make it to suit the base model, up to the top of range petrol or diesel. One loom fits all.

If the vehicle is still working,(as well as a Nissan can) tie the cable up and forget about it

I think I might reget that dig in the future.

Wayne Always Out'N About
AnswerID: 48533

Reply By: Roachie - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 16:17

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 16:17
Thanks Wayne, I'll take your advice and leave it alone..........

There's been a couple of occasions when I've had to get 2 of Vic's blokes out of trouble in the bush; both in cruisers. They were sure glad the big datto was there to save their butts.... LOL.....
Mind you; as they were the trip leaders, it seems only natural that if anyone should come unstuck, it should be them eh?? LOLOLOL
Speaking of such.......what are your thoughts about locking the hubs up when driving on gravel/loose surfaces where a quick change into H4 might be necessary. I only ask because one of the occasions Vic's man get bogged was leading a group of us to Haddon's corner (the 15klm or so off the "main" road). We knew it was going to be difficult to get in there as a bloke mustering stock in a light plane talked to us on the radio and said we'd have strife.......we went in anyway, but leader took a less-than-perfect track at one point and went down deep. He hadn't locked his front hubs and I snatched him out backwards. In that perticular case it probably wouldn't have mattered anyway as track was bleep e, but he hadn't even given himself the option of trying to get through in 4x4.
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 48535

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 18:04

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 18:04
Roachie,
Thank you for helping the tour guides, after all we are only human with a good job.

If you have got them lock them. Noy only as you say changing from 2h to 4h on the move ,but it also stops the front tail shaft from flogging out. When it is not rotating the tail shaft will bounce up and down on the spline and will wear out through lack of use.

Constant 4WD 1 Locking hubs 0

WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 310367

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 12:36

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 12:36
Any vacancies Wayne i'm looking for a career change & it didn't take long for the regret :):):)Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 310453

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 15:16

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 15:16
Roachie,
I had a look under my 3.0 litre TD the other day and found the same wire you talk about, hangin down just above the rear uni joint, mine looked like it had made contact on a couple of occasions, I've looked at the wiring diagram to no avail so I just tied it up out of the way. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 48654

Reply By: sean - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 15:28

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 15:28
Its a spare plug. Tie is up out of the way or it will get ripped off like mine did.

Sean
AnswerID: 48656

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:07

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:07
I Don't know what it is, but I can tell you , the GU's have SO many extra plugs.

My Ti doesn't have lecky disconnects, (it does in EVERY other country mind you), but DOES have Factory Difflock . . .

The plug could be for a number of things , cause I think they use a common wiring loom.
AnswerID: 48719

Sponsored Links