Cape York Questions

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 17:07
ThreadID: 10877 Views:3692 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm interested to know of anyones experiences regarding the new alcohol restrictions that have been put into place in the Cape? How strict are these regulations being policed, and do they vary from place to place?
Oh and can you buy Tooheys New north of Cooktown?

Also, what experiences have people had with side-of-the-road style camping as apposed to more dedicated camping site areas? I am also interested in how people have found using swags instead of tent style camping? Can you goto the cape and only use a swag, or is a tent a must? Do the mosquitos bite as bad as the crocs?

Thanks in Advance.
Redsox
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 17:39

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 17:39
Redsox,

Eric from Cape York Connections would be the best to answer the first part of the question.

The last time I went to Cape York I slept under the stars. Mosquitios, bugs and crocs for some reason do not like to bite me. Could be I am too old and tough.

Always Out'N About
AnswerID: 48542

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 18:23

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 18:23
redsox if you go to this web site it will help you. mcmc.qld.gov.au on the liquor laws or phone 1300 789 000
You can camp in most places but i wouldnt camp just on the side of the road because of the dust you will work it out when your up there.
Swags,our family use swags when on most trips the wife and i use a southern cross double and the kids use southern cross singles.
When im on my own I use the single.
I wouldnt like to use the open style swags up in the cape because things bite ,sand flys ,ants and mozzies.

All the best
Eric

www.capeyorkconnections.com.au Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 48548

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 19:35

Saturday, Feb 28, 2004 at 19:35
When you get up there you will see how hard it is to find a "on the side of the road" campspot.....There are trees and shrubs everywhere....
On the way there we missed a camp site at Elliot Falls (it was full).... So we drove up the OTL a bit further and crossed a little brook and set up a bush camp near there and it was a shrub clearing experience... It was about 20metres off the OTL but it was after 6 so no traffic to stir up dust...
My mate used a swag every night and i used my swag once because i couldnt put my tent up at Porcupine Gorge because it was blowing about 35knots....___________________________________
Simpson trip 05/04 then turn left at Birdsville to Darwin via Lawn Hill etc

Reply By: Member - Graeme - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 19:37

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 19:37
Redsox G'day mate, Now ya talkin, Cape York PARADISE INSIDE OZ. I had my first taste of Cape York some years back with Peter IKIN of Cape York Connections and it was like being born again what an experience. To answer your questions i took absolutely everything on my first trip, tent, swag, and mozzie dome. I personally wouldn't worry about a tent now, I would have the swag for those cooler nights and the mozzie dome for the warmer nights which is most of the time. I use a Southern Cross swag and a Mountain Design Mozzie Dome but make sure that they have the very fine mesh to keep out the sand flies. Good Luck hope to see ya on the track up north in FNQ. I'm going again this year in July.

Cheers Graeme
AnswerID: 48671

Follow Up By: srowlandson - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 14:04

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 14:04
The Alcohol restrictions are only valid if travelling on the aboriginal land, which you generally need a purpose and permit.

We went to arukun (sp?) last year, and made sure we had no alcohol in the vehicle. Stocking up afterwards @ weipa for the rest of the journey.

steve
FollowupID: 310688

Sponsored Links