Long range fuel tank playing up

Submitted: Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 19:37
ThreadID: 108828 Views:1764 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I recently installed an iron man long range fuel tank in my 09 petrol hilux was a simple swap using all the origional Hoses and fuel sender.

Since the instalation my car takes about 5 sec of the starter to turn the motor over and start the car, it's like there is no fuel at the motor and it takes 5 sec to get there before it starts. It always started straight away before the install
has any one else had this problem or know of things to look for that might be causing it.
Cheers
Malcolm
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 20:03

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 20:03
Self install ?
If so, then maybe the tank supplier could give you a clue.
If it was installed for you, I'd be asking them about it.

Sounds like an air bubble in the line (or air is bleeding in from near the pump when not running), but would have though that would clear by itself ?
AnswerID: 536383

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 20:40

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 20:40
Malcolm,

Try starting it with fuel cap off. If it starts okay, then you may have a problem with breather hoses...........or in the tank breathers. Otherwise there might be a restriction in one of suction lines in the tank.

Don't suppose your fuel filter might be choked? Sucked up some gunk out of the new tank?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536385

Reply By: Ross M - Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 22:55

Monday, Jul 21, 2014 at 22:55
Malcolm

Apart from breathers and kinked delivery hoses which require a pressure build up by the pump to get fuel through -

Switch on the key.

Does the fuel pump instantly start and run for a set period of time?
Can you hear it run?

Was the wire to the pump lengthened or altered for the new tank?
It may be acting as a resistor and the pump is starting but running slowly and taking time to build up pressure. Then when the engine fires, the alt makes things better with more voltage and masks the fault.

Check pump start and run sound to see if it is slooooow. Maybe the earthing of the tank unit isn't good. Try an additional earth strap to negative. Even try a jumper to run the pump first and see if the start is then "normal".
AnswerID: 536396

Sponsored Links