Photography around Uluru. August.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 08:36
ThreadID: 108834 Views:2287 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I do a lot of photography around Uluru and have a lot of experience there. I am working there for the month of August. If anyone would like to meet up, share info or maybe do some joint shooting contact me, Mike Fewster, via the Artist in Residence, Suzette Watkins at Minkiri Gallery, Desert Gardens Hotel.
On re reading this before posting, it sounds as though I am spruiking for something I intend charging for. Nope, I do it for the fun of it, no charge and happy to meet members.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: BunderDog - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 08:42

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 08:42
Folks should be aware of the restrictions regarding commercial photography around Uluru.

Uluru Photography Guidelines
AnswerID: 536401

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:05

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:05
Yes, apart from the controlled use of captured images, there are Sensitive Sites that should not be photographed at all, even for amateur personal use. Most of these are signposted but for cultural reasons some cannot even be publicly identified. All of which makes it rather difficult to conform. I have observed some who from ignorance or disregard, proceed to photograph these sites.

The map below shows just how extensive is the "prohibited" zones.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 820488

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:10

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:10
I am registered with the Park and well aware of the commercial restrictions/guidelines. All photos I use commercially are registered and approved. As I said, I made the offer for the fun of it, no money involved.
Unless of course any images you get might be for commercial purposes, in which case I am happy to introduce you to the rangers and the media unit. Apart from a few culturally sensitive areas, the guidelines at Uluru are the same as at other National Parks.
FollowupID: 820489

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 08:48

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 08:48
Mike, there is no doubt that being in the one place for an extended time provides opportunity to gain great shots like yours above.

So often a local has said to me...... "Oh, you should have been here last week, it was beautiful then"!

Have a great time Mike.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 536402

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:19

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:19
Thanks Allan. You are right, it is one of the joys of being there for an extended time. The point of my post really is that most people are there for a short period and you get yourself to one spot ready, then often find the light isn't right for that angle and it is a long way to get to where you really want to be and by that time, the light has gone. If you know the area, you know that where you want to be for different light conditions. The first thing I always do when going out on a shoot is have a long, careful look at the weather forecast.
FollowupID: 820490

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:42

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:42
People may look at great photos by a commercial photographer and say.... "Oh how lucky he was to get that shot". Lucky my foot! He possibly spent a great time waiting for the right conditions and taking many shots to achieve that one special one.

It is one of the reasons that I abandoned my photographic hobby. For many of my younger years I was a devoted amateur photographer, even having my own darkroom. Then I came to realise how isolationist the hobby can be......... first I would wait until the tour bus moved on, then the clouds were just right, then............ while the family waited patiently(?) for me. Following that I would disappear into my darkroom for 4 or 5 hours...............

Nowadays, with digital and no darkroom it is a little better and I travel where the tourist buses do not go.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 820491

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:54

Tuesday, Jul 22, 2014 at 09:54
Exactly so. I am there mainly because of my wife's job. I get bored wandering around alone, mainly in the pre dawn cold. And if anyone going up there for August fancies a game of tennis, I'll have racquets up there as well and have access to the Sails in the Desert courts.
FollowupID: 820493

Follow Up By: Member - Sandy J (NSW) - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 23:12

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 23:12
Hi Mike. I am the mother of Michelle Martin and she alerted me to your post. My husband and I will be travelling towards Alice mid August. We are leaving Sydney 4 August.
Colin and Sandy Jacka. Ultimate Camper Toyota LC200. Camera gear
Canon 5D mk 3 keen photographer.
I would like to meet up with you.
FollowupID: 821242

Sponsored Links