Outback & Dogs

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 11:29
ThreadID: 10893 Views:1884 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi we are looking at travelling in the SA outback and were interested in bringing along our dog. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 11:48

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 11:48
No problems with dogs in the outback. Just remember that most of the good places to access lie within National Parks and also remember that many pastoralists put out dingo bait 10/80 along fences or at gates and cattle grids. Baits are usually signposted(that is hoping that the dingo's can't read). I am owned by a dog as well and travelling around with me mate has its difficulties.

Cheers,
Willem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
AnswerID: 48636

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 15:59

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 15:59
goodday cbass
we take our kelpie cross on some travels but if we are heading way up north we laeve her at home as we find that she does not like a lot of heat but she loves to travel but if you want to visit a national park you have to find accomadation for them as some of the rangers frown on you for taking them into parks although i believe some are starting to think outside being green i heard a couple have put kennels at the entrance to the park okay as long as you want to leave by the same route worst part is shes harmless unless theres a cat around (hates them as we have onee sits outside our house and carries on but soon takes off if i let the dog out )
we drove out to camerons corner and back thru np but she was tied up when we stopped and doesnt go far away any away
depending on time of year and as long as had all shots just got to watch for ticks in some areas go for it

steveimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
AnswerID: 48657

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:01

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:01
Due to our location we have to take out dogs ( two chocolate labs) with us almost everywhere - that goes for SA also. They are either in the vehicle or chained to the bullbar or on a lead. As I don't trust 1080 signs to be in the right places and because they are labs and therefore guts anything I never let them off the lead. Many more people are travelling (permanently with dogs) - we get people in here with up to 4 (no, not working dogs) and I do believe that authorities are becoming more amenable. I hope so, I have a lot of travelling to do with my chocolate babies.These are Diamantina Barra (Yellowbelly)
GO HARD OR GO HOME
AnswerID: 48663

Reply By: ianmc - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:13

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 18:13
Finders Forum has had a few posts from experienced fossickers who have lost more than one dog due to dingo baits & it is a horrible death from what they say!
There must be a better way!
AnswerID: 48665

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 23:19

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 23:19
Wish we knew what it was and we'd use it. They are hard to shoot, impossible to do so when in large numbers and spread over large areas. Visitors dogs are a concern but we also have lost 2 pups ( together ) to baits. Be aware that crows can eat the baits and a while later and some distance away decide they are no good and bring them back up, so sometimes baits get to where we didn't put them.
When you have had to shoot 10 calves in one morning as they had holes eaten out of them but were not dead, because the dingo mums were teaching the pups to hunt, you no longer feel quite so much sympathy. Wouldn't mind so much if they just killed and ate one and that was it untill they were hungry again. At the right time of the year they are into the calves in large numbers every night.
The signs are a legal requirement and we don't bait a 10 km radidus of the homestead, once 1080 gets decent rain on it's no longer a worry so if travel is in the North after the wet and before new baits are laid you should be ok but as someone else said the safest way is to keep them on a lead.
I don't know of any NP up this way that breaks the CALM rule and allows dogs ( or cats) to enter.
cheers, AnneDrysdale River Station
FollowupID: 310504

Reply By: REX - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 20:21

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 20:21
taking dogs up north is a good thing tie dog between you and river at night the sound of your dog getting eaten by a crock should wake you in time to get to safety
AnswerID: 48676

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 21:48

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 21:48
Aaaw that's sick Rex.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 310487

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 22:36

Sunday, Feb 29, 2004 at 22:36
Yeah, sickem Rex.I'd rather have my bum on a beach in Broome
Than be stuck here in this damn room.
FollowupID: 310498

Follow Up By: Phil G - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:21

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 08:21