Generator Recall

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 15:59
ThreadID: 108932 Views:1898 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
Recall of 6Kva generators

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1061639

While not directly concerning the RV field it does show the problems!

It seems there is no end to the crap, that is coming in

Yes, fitted with a RCD, BUT it is NOT functional,. for a very simple reason :roll:
PeterQ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bobt123 - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 16:59

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 16:59
That is common to all generators , the windings are insulated from the "earth or metal frame"
There is some thought from the mining industry that it is safer with no RCD or safety switch fitted. To fit a safety switch you will need an electrician to :"bond one leg to earth " to get the safety switch to work.
My own generator does not have a safety switch fitte, if you modify the wiring you or the electrician then become responsible for the item.
The generator as purchased will require 2 faults to occur for you to get an electric shock

Sparky
AnswerID: 536795

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 21:17

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 21:17
bobt123

replied:

[1]That is common to all generators , the windings are insulated from the "earth or metal frame"
[2] There is some thought from the mining industry that it is safer with no RCD or safety switch fitted.
[3]To fit a safety switch you will need an electrician to :"bond one leg to earth " to get the safety switch to work.
[4] My own generator does not have a safety switch fitte, if you modify the wiring you or the electrician then become responsible for the item.
[5] The generator as purchased will require 2 faults to occur for you to get an electric shock

Sparky

HI
[1]
Yes, that is the way most small fully isolated portable generators are supplied BUT NOT WITH A RCD fitted. by the Maker /Supplier

This one is intended for Heavy duty work such as construction sites where a FULLY operational RCD is compulsory
But indicated the maker /supplier did not have a clue on how to fit one.
[2]I think you will find many are now looking at RVDs
[3]YES & the RCD SHALL BE permanently fitted to the GENERATOR once that bond has been made.
[4] I assume you are referring to warranty issues

[5] one fault to create the neutral & the person as the 2nd fault.

PeterQ

FollowupID: 821031

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 21:22

Tuesday, Jul 29, 2014 at 21:22
HI
Just to add to the above

When using small portable generators OR inverters[not fitted with a FULLY functional RCD or RVD ]the safety recommendation IS:
DO NOT CONNECT MORE THAN ONE Clas 1 device /tool /appliance
Class1 ALWAYS shall have 3pin plugs

Multiple Class 2 [have 2pinplugs] can be used with a high level of safety from shocks to earth

PeterQ

FollowupID: 821032

Follow Up By: Janos K - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 17:10

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 17:10
Thanks for the Info Peter, I also spoke with the lads at 8zED and they also told me ( in regards to their range of inverters) Which are electrically isolated but when using appliances they advised this rule

When using an inverter and the device has a 3 Pin plug then only one should be used.
If the appliance has two pins then more than one can be used at a safe level.

Aparently only RCD's are used when an Inverter is installed in a fixed installation such as off-grid \ sheds , shacks .
They specify the RCBO

But when in a vehicle then this does not apply ??
FollowupID: 821531

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 18:11

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 18:11
Just waiting for Bantam to wade in.....................
FollowupID: 821533

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 21:23

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 21:23
Hi Janos
Yes only using one Class 1 device [have 3pin plugs ] is the safety recommendation for ANY fully isolated power source Generator .inverter or double insulated transformers
That recommendation has been around from the days of "Safety Packs'[ isolation transformers ] some 40 years ago!

I saw two serious accidents in a short period[using double adaptors] before I could get that message through & understood by supervising foremen..

RCD or RVDs shall be used whene a inverter or generator is permanently installed in any situation including RVs

Most inverters & generators have there own overload protection
but it just as easy to fit a RVD/ BO or even better a RVD/BO

RVDs do not require neutral /EN link or MEN to operate, so the first line of protection [isolation is maintained]

PeterQ
FollowupID: 821553

Sponsored Links