Recent travels/feed back re Savanna Way

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 17:02
ThreadID: 108962 Views:1934 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there.
We have just finished the Cape York section of our lap around Oz and are now at Atherton QLD. We are heading home via Darwin to Perth (home).

Going to Normanton tomorrow and was curious if the Savannah Way might be a good option. There is a fair bit of gravel involved and was wondering if some one on the forum has recently completed it.
If so, I would love to know the condition of the dirt roads and if the scenery warrants it!

Cheers

Pete.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OBJ - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 17:38

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 17:38
Hi Peter.
Wife and I have just returned from the Savannah, although we did it in reverse, coming in from Mataranka.
No dramas with the roads. All good dirt. Like all dirt roads, there will be a bit of rubbish mixed in with it, but nothing to give you any trouble.
Enjoy the run back.
OBJ
AnswerID: 536910

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 17:45

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 17:45
Hi Pete,
In the last few weeks we have travelled the Savannah Way from Mataranka to Cairns via Forsayth. Have now returned along the road to Normanton via Chillagoe both roads had gravel on them but your rig should handle it easy, the scenery along the Chillagoe, Dunbar Normanton road was better than I thought it would be, camped next to a water hole along the way and was surprised to find a croc 'big enough to swallow a man' (according to a local), resident in the water hole.
Take care
Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 536912

Reply By: Member - Robert R1 (SA) - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 19:01

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 19:01
I am also interested because in the next few days I intend going from Burketown, along the Savannah Way and coming out at Mataranka. I am driving a Mazda BT-50 without a snorkel so the depth of the river crossings is crucial to me doing the trip. Any follow up would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Bob
AnswerID: 536914

Follow Up By: Member - Rosco from way back - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 19:18

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 19:18
Bob

Went through that way a couple of weeks back. A few puddles is all you'll come across.
FollowupID: 821189

Reply By: Colcam42 - Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 20:04

Thursday, Jul 31, 2014 at 20:04
Hi Pete, if you really are at Atherton and expect to be in Normanton tomorrow, (Friday 1st), you will be missing a few experiences along the way. Railway at Ravenshoe, Lava Tubes, gem museum at Georgetown, just these I can remember. We leave Normanton tomorrow and perhaps we will pass along the way. It will be a pity if you really do have to travel that fast.
Out from Normanton and Karumba, we can recommend Gregory Downs; Lawn Hill; Leichhardt Falls; Burketown, just a few. The road between Burketown and Leichhardt Falls is sealed, Burketown to Gregory Downs is also sealed now. The dirt between Normanton to the falls is quite good, deteriorates a bit where road-trains are carting material, for roadfill I think, from the Augusta Downs turn off for about 20-25k East. Travelled there two days ago and we stopped for the trucks (3 trailers) to let the dust settle, little wind so this was a problem, The trucks were travelling about 5 minutes apart. They were on radio repeater Ch 6. A couple of water carts were also working from Liechhardt Falls to the Augusta Downs road. Lots of cows owning the road, roos aplenty and a feral cat, snake and Brolgas to see along the way.
have a good trip anyway,
AnswerID: 536917

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 06:00

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 06:00
If you love bill dust and corrogations this is for you. We traveled from doomagee to borroloola last month. Some lovely river crossings close to borroloola but the road was very rough. Will kill an semi off road van. Enjoy the journey.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 536931

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 11:40

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 11:40
We travelled it last year and it was very, very rough and our van is not an off roader...if you take it easy you should not have any trouble, be in a hurry and things will no doubt break...cheers
FollowupID: 821219

Reply By: Been-Everywhereman - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 08:41

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 08:41
The Savannah Way between Hells Gate and Roper Bar has sections of corrugations which are Hell. I mean HELL. Doomagee to Burketown is almost all bitumen. When you leave Hells Gate aim to stay at Robinson River (beautiful spot on the Western side).
AnswerID: 536936

Follow Up By: rooster350 - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 10:02

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 10:02
There is one hell of a lot of road between Hells Gate and Roper Bar that is rough, rough and very b...y rough, we travelled the section from Borroloola to Hells Gate and yes it was rather bad but our non off road van handled it pretty well if I may say so...but we did hear at Borroloola that the road to Roper Bar was in a bad way and tyres were being wrecked , fortunately we made the right decision earlier in the trip and did not travel that section....cheers
FollowupID: 821256

Sponsored Links