Road condition advice Gregory Downs to Camooweal QLD?

Submitted: Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 16:14
ThreadID: 108975 Views:4400 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there.
Presently camped at Croyden and will be going to Lawn Hill after seeing Normanton and Karumba.
Thought about taking the dirt road to bypass Mt Isa.
Maybe it's been sealed?

Cheers
Pete.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dublediff - Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 19:21

Friday, Aug 01, 2014 at 19:21
I was on the normanton-Bourke development road down to Lawn Hill via Gregory downs and stayed at the beautiful Gregory river camp. The unsealed road is quite well formed, drive to the conditions and you should have no problems. Some ruts, some corrugations but driveable with most reasonable clearance fourbies.
AnswerID: 536971

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 15:40

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 15:40
Haven't been on the Gregory-Camooweal road for some years, Peter, so can't comment on its current status. Would suggest that it mightn't be too bad, as it's always graded prior to the Canoe Races in May. Anyway if it is a little rough, then it's not a bad road to take at a steady pace, and enjoy the scenery.

If you want to avoid some extra gravel, don't go direct to Camooweal via Undilla Station, but take the left hand turnoff, about 16 km past Thorntonia Station. It's now bitumen for about 56 kms to Barkly Highway, then turn right, and it's 70 clicks to Camooweal.

There's a camping spot at this junction too, that wouldn't be too bad. Always looks clean and tidy.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537008

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 17:26

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 17:26
I was on that road last year, about 20k out of Gregory downs I struck a lot of deep bulldust had I had not been in 4 WD I would have been in trouble. Also some cattle grids with deep ruts either side full of bulldust which I hit and bent both axles on my 5'er [ALKO rubber suspension] half way along there was a sealed road which cut through to the hwy I went down that instead of going further to Camooweal.

PeterH
AnswerID: 537013

Reply By: Member - Mark C (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:18

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:18
Drove this road last month and it was as it was 30 years ago. Rough in spots with bull dust holes and corrugated on the hilly section south of the lawn hill turn off. The Gregory river section is mostly black soil so a real no no in the wet but a super highway after grading.
Mark And Helen QLD
Living the Dream

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537026

Sponsored Links