Perth to Cairns, itinerary

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 19:28
ThreadID: 108987 Views:1735 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
hey'all,

I'm looking to do a super-tour across the country, diagonally, in a 4x4 Hino.

Im not sure of my route or itinerary but Ulhuru or the Kimberleys is definitely on the list..i prolly can't afford the time to do both.

Can forum please make suggestions of route and itinerary for August travel...

many thanks for any input...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:36

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:36
To get Uluru in easily, try The Outback Way. A longer trip would be via the Kimberley with the Gibb River Road and the The Savannah Way. Leaving in August may not give you enough time to do that trip justice before it gets hot.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537027

Reply By: LandCoaster - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 02:20

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 02:20
many many thanks MotherHen, that is exactly the information i needed. The heats not going to be a bother, bus has a split-cycle and jenny on it. Im calling this tour the "totally decadent diagonal tour"...
AnswerID: 537047

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 08:28

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 08:28
How long do you plan to be travelling? That will have a big bearing on your route. Do you just want to go from Cairns to Perth or do you want to see the country? If I had to choose between Uluru and the Kimberley I would do the Kimberley, but that takes a lot longer so its not such a straightforward choice.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537061

Follow Up By: LandCoaster - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 12:17

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 12:17
Thank-you for your reply John and Val.
Yes, I like country, i love rolling around in it, getting it into my skin and then sweating it out, i do enjoy that, especially Big Skys.
I am beginning to realise The Kimberly is not just a collection of gorges and that one could probably spend a few months/years/lifetimes over there and not see it all. As MotherHen suggested, starting The Kimberley's in early winter may be better than letting my genny echo down the canyons.

At this stage
Perth
Ulhuru

FollowupID: 821319

Reply By: Member - rkc47 (Mandurah, WA) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 14:54

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 14:54
Hi LandCoaster,
We did Perth to Cairns & Cooktown last year. Basically travelled the Kimberley inc GRR twice, the Bungles to Derby, Savannah Way, Borroloola etc, Kingfisher, Lawn Hill NP, Atherton, Cairns then Cooktown via the Bloomfield. Had to cancel Cape York but that's another story for another post! Incidently we're returning to do CYP 2015 via the Sandy Blight & Outback Way. Sorry, I digress, we had an excellent trip keeping off the hard-top where ever possible. If you have the time I'd suggest via the Kimberley and do the Centre another time .......... Best wishes for the trip
AnswerID: 537092

Reply By: LandCoaster - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 21:11

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 21:11
Hi rkc47,

your travels sound similar to mine whereby i return to an already visited area to see more. Ive got spots in SA, NSW & VIC that i have visited more than once....

Time is not going to be on my side for this tour so it looks as though Uluru may be the main destination. The unfortunate thing is I cannot take my expedition gear over on the plane, but it will be a fantastic introduction to red-center travel.
AnswerID: 537116

Follow Up By: LandCoaster - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 21:12

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 21:12
and many thanks for your reply
FollowupID: 821349

Sponsored Links