Off Road campers

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 19:28
ThreadID: 108988 Views:1954 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me if it is normal to see sunlight through a camper roof when set up. The camper is second hand and built by Australian Trailers Pty Ltd in 2007. I viewed this unit today and it does really look in good condition and the price suits my budget but just a bit concerned about seeing hundreds of pinholes appearring in the roof. Thanks for any info.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rosss - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 19:48

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 19:48
We had a Cavalier a few years back and it was the same, good heavy canvas but could see through it, had me a bit worried when I first saw it but went through one of the heaviest storms I have ever been in , in it, didn't leak a drop.

Cheers Ross.

AnswerID: 537022

Reply By: Peter T9 - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:14

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:14
Are you sure it is not just where the stitching is?

If so I would not be concerned as mine is the same and doesn't leak.
AnswerID: 537025

Reply By: Graeme S - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:37

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 20:37
This is definitly not in the stitching I am talking about . The holes appear to be actually in the canvas weaving..
AnswerID: 537028

Follow Up By: Tony H15 - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 21:17

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 21:17
Hose it and see what happens.
FollowupID: 821292

Follow Up By: Member - LG__ (WA) - Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 22:16

Saturday, Aug 02, 2014 at 22:16
Ask the current seller (private or 'car yard') to spray water on the roof and see if any comes through.... or maybe written gaurantee that it is watertight for a period of X weeks. If they aren't prepared to do either, walk away. That is what I would do anyway :)
FollowupID: 821296

Follow Up By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 07:39

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 07:39
Maybe this is the problem....

Watson and Holmes Go Camping

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson went on a camping trip. After sharing a good meal and a bottle of Petrie wine, they retire to their tent for the night.

At about 3 AM, Holmes nudges Watson and asks, "Watson, look up into the sky and tell me what you see?"

Watson said, "I see millions of stars."

Holmes asks, "And, what does that tell you?"

Watson replies, "Astronomically, it tells me there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets. Astrologically, it tells me that Saturn is in Leo. Theologically, it tells me that God is great and we are small and insignificant. Horologically, it tells me that it's about 3 AM. Meteorologically, it tells me that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow. What does it tell you, Holmes?"

Holmes retorts, "Someone stole our tent."

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 821300

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 08:46

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 08:46
Hi Graeme

Like Rosss, I also have a Cavalier sitting in the shed.

When you look at the canvas during the day, you can see small specks of daylight. this is not near the stitching. I thought it was holes in the canvas so I asked a canvas repair shop how to fix it and the answer blew me away...

You can't - the specks are grains of sand that have been embedded in the plant fibre as the flax grows. They get woven into the treads that make up the canvas.

What you are seeing is the sunlight shining through a clear piece of sand - just like a tiny window.

By the way I had mine from new 2004 and it has never leaked.

Cheers

Anthony

AnswerID: 537062

Reply By: Member - Odog - Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 10:12

Sunday, Aug 03, 2014 at 10:12
G" day Graham
We have a cub regal off road, when set up taught, it gets stretch where the stitching is, and canvas can look a bit thin in places.
We had a new zipper put on the door, and asked the guy at the canvas shop, about all of the above, his reply was simple, and made sense to me.. If it rains, the canvas and stitching swells when wet, thus sealing everything. Have camped in down pours, for days, and never had a leak. So do the test as mentioned above, it you want to be sure, but don't stress to much. Happy camping. Cheers
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 537069

Sponsored Links