12V only - Engel Fridge consumption...

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:00
ThreadID: 109 Views:3201 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Weve just bought an ex-Maui Troop Camper. It has a 40L Engel (a table-top model) in it which is 12V only (they say). It _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx on the second battery in the car. Questions we have:
- does anyone have experience with these ie are they as reliable as the more known 29L and 39L models?
- how much Amps do they draw (average)
In general we are concerned as we plan to bush or beach camp for several days on our big trip and we wonder if the only solution is to buy solar panels (expensive!) or if we should chuck it out and get an AutoFridge (expensive too...) or should we just connect the Engel to both batteries and use a jump starter to get the car going once both are drawn flat (pretty silly...).
Any advise is welcome!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:00
Bart & Marian,Im not familiar with the 40l engel i allways use the 39 however i think if u planning to stay away and camp for days a the time solar panels r a good choice they r pricey but there is no maintenance,they r quiet and use no fuel and probably be cheaper than buying a new fridge
Happy travelling
Joe
AnswerID: 194

Reply By: Paul Mery - Tuesday, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 13, 2001 at 01:00
I think your 40L engel would be the same unit as the 39L engel, people often round the volume to 40L. The engel will use approximately 4 amps on average when running, but the ambient temperature will determine how often it will run. If it is hot and remains hot at night you will need alot of solar panels to make it run properly as you only get good sunlight to solar panels about 7 hours a day, provided it is not overcast. Another alternative is these new generators from honda which are light but will allow you to charge your car batteries when needed. Whilst camping do you think you will not be starting and driving your car, as often driving hours add up even though you dont plan to (lets go for a drive to see what is down the end of the beach?). Engels are top reliable fridges but do require ample battery power to run them....
AnswerID: 195

Reply By: William - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2001 at 01:00
Bart & Marian,
Check with Piranha products, they are evaluating a new type of battery which can be charged quickly.
The problem with secondary batteries is that they take too long to recharge, therefore running your engine for a while
is out of the question. With this new battery type (I think they are called optima) you can run your engine
for 10 minutes totally recharging the battery in that time.
Let me know if that works.
AnswerID: 218

Sponsored Links