First family trip - late Sept to early Nov - SA to WA

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 11:22
ThreadID: 109027 Views:1616 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

We are off on our first trip in late September, travelling with a Toyota Kluger towing a new Jayco Starcraft with triple bunks for the kids who are aged 5, 9 and 10.

We are heading over the Nullarbor, then to Kalgoorlie where we will decide whether to push on to Coral Bay or stay in the SW corner.

Just after any tips and your thoughts - the Kluger's fuel consumption towing is just terrible so we are planning on carrying a few jerry cans of petrol on the roof of the car when necessary. Also planning on getting a WDH.

Also, while free camping, is it acceptable to set up a pop up tent with a portable toilet in it? What is the correct etiquette?

Thanks for any comments and help.
Tracey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:11

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:11
Hi Tracey, one option is to turn left at Norseman and head down to Esperance to do Cape Arid and the other National Park ( name?) where you can camp and let the kids go on the beach. The SW corner is terrific and full of things for families to do. No problem with the tent in my view but be carefull with the rating of the WDH as these can stress the sub frame and components beyond manufacturers specifications. What ever you choose you will have a great adventure! Cheers
AnswerID: 537197

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 14:58

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 14:58
Hi Tracey, your idea of "carrying a few jerrycans of petrol on the roof" will make your
consumption even worse. Not to mention the dangers of doing so. Fuel is freely available every 200 km or so anyway. The toilet thing is fine, as is the correct WDH.
I would be more inclined to do the SW corner properly & leave the Northern parts for
another time, unless time is of no importance.
Re the loo, we use ours in the van..much more convenient at night, & empty at a dump point every 3/4 days. This will save the lifting & tent setup.
enjoy your trip......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 537201

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 15:53

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 15:53
Hi Tracey,

As others have suggested there is plenty of fuel across the Nullarbor. There aren't many hills - the thing most likely to affect fuel consumption is whether you have a headwind or not.

2 questions: how long do you plan to be away, and what will allow you to decide when you get to Kalgoorlie whether to go on to Coral Bay? The southern beaches, from Cape Arid are beautiful though not sure about water temp at that time of year. If you only have a few weeks staying south may be a better option. Suggest stay away from Coral Bay in school holidays as it can get packed out.

No problem with a toilet tent beside your camper.

Have a great trip,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537203

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 15:56

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 15:56
Forgot to mention - make sure you practice folding your toilet tent before you leave home. They can be tricky until you get the knack.

Also have a look at our blogs, especially from 2012 to see what is along the south coast.

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 821489

Follow Up By: TraceyM - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 10:04

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 10:04
Hi Val

Thanks for your comments. We have a total of 6 weeks for this trip. We were thinking we'd get to Kalgoorlie then check the weather up north, see how hot and windy it was, and also see how we are all travelling. I think after reading everyone's advice that we might stay south! A touch disappointing the kids might not get much swimming in but there's always an indoor pool somewhere for a splash!

Tracey
FollowupID: 821574

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 16:35

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 16:35
definitly the SW corner id say from cape arid to pemberton and arounf Margret river

nice beaches and plenty of riverside camping as well as the big trees around Walpole

Id lived in south australia an then Kalgoorlie and it wasnt till I went to the southwest i actually saw proper running rivers with rapids and nice swimming pools not to mention beaches where you drive through big trees to get there not just low coastal scrub

I fear it will be getting a bit warm and windy in the NW - at least down south if its blowing a gale you can check out the inland attractions
AnswerID: 537204

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 00:53

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 00:53
Hi Tracey,

Without knowing your exact time frame, it is difficult to advise. FWIW, it takes more than just a "few" days to get from the border of SA/WA to Perth.

There are a number of publications that will help you in your trip planning. :-)

Both published in WA and sold on site.

Eastern Goldfields Trip.
&
Trips of the South West Coast.

Well worth a read and the good part .......................

Uncle Nick is still working out the difference between left & right.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 537221

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:05

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 01:05
Hi Tracey

Even if a campground specifies for 'self contained only' a toilet tent is often accepted, but some require a built in toilet. In a self contained only site, a shower tent is not acceptable.

As said, you should not need to carry extra fuel. The longest span between fuel outlets on the Eyre Highway across the Nullarbor is 192 kilometres between Balladonia and Norseman.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 537222

Follow Up By: TraceyM - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 10:07

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 10:07
Thanks Motherhen, the Kluger will probably do between 200-240km a tank so we will probably just make it! There could be a few nervous kms towards the end!

And re toilet, if you keep a porta loo in a cupboard in the van, does that count as self contained?

Thanks again.
Tracey
FollowupID: 821575

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:07

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:07
For most places, how you go to the toilet and how you wash is not an issue, so long as nothing is left behind. That is what self containment is really about; leaving nothing behind. For the few finicky places, they are most unlikely to inspect if you say you have a toilet in the caravan. We don't have to stop at places that don't want us, just as we don't at places that do not accommodate us at all.

Grey water collection is the main issue, and more and more are becoming specific on the method. No wonder when we read reports of self contained sites with people still letting the water go right there in the middle of the campground.

Is it possible to add an auxiliary fuel tank to the Kluger? This is much safer and easier to use that carrying and tipping jerry cans. More expensive to start off with, but that will pale over time.

As you cross hills shortly before you reach Norseman, this is where you will see the gauge plummet (yes, we made it - PHEW).
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 821579

Sponsored Links