Recall Super Cheap 4 outlet power board

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:35
ThreadID: 109029 Views:1627 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 19:50

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 19:50
I look at many of the cheaper power boards and wonder how they manage to comply.....those recalled plainly did not.......they are cheap, flimsy and do not inspire confidence.

Hardly surprising as they often cost less than a good quality rewirable plugtop.

There is only one thing worse than a cheap power board...that is a double adaptor.

Please do ya self a big favor......don't buy cheap power boards.

cheers
AnswerID: 537210

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 08:24

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 08:24
Have you ever looked inside a cheap power board. The conductors and contacts are minimally sized to the point of being flimsy. The contacts are single-sided only, i.e. touching only one side of the pin with plastic support on the other side of the pin. The plastic housing is thin and fragile. In a word, they are rubbish.

As you say Bantam, I also wonder how they comply. I haven't read the appropriate compliance standard but it must be pretty lenient.

Cheap power boards present a risk but there appear to be very few robust ones other than those with features such as surge protection and accordingly much higher priced. The couple in my home are older & better, and are only used on very low loadings.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 821511

Reply By: oldtrack123 - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 11:53

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 11:53
HI Alan
Flimsy connection is one of the problems
quote "and a secure connection to inserted plugs. "

The Standards only set a pull out force , Contact pressure , do not stipulate double side contacts
Although I no longer have access to the latest standard

PeterQ
AnswerID: 537244

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 12:02

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 12:02
Yes Peter, although I have seen a number of sockets with only one-side contact, some were better than others in their quality.

In this instance........."concerning resistance to fire and a secure connection to inserted plugs" suggests that this product was inadequate in that consideration.

I also found that maintaining access to the Standards no longer justified the cost.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 821522

Reply By: The Bantam - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 19:56

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 19:56
It realy is hard to buy a good quality power board these days.

Most of those power boards with the surge protection are very similar to the chepaer ones with a $2 MOV across the active & neutral.

Very little in the way of protection but they sell for twice or 3 times the price of the non "surge protected" items.

I use quite a few power boards in equipment racks, cabinets and other places.

The minimum I will buy is the HPM and I am only marginally happy with those.....but they are a big step up from the realy cheap ones.

cheers
AnswerID: 537268

Sponsored Links