Flinders Highway Road Works

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 17:05
ThreadID: 109030 Views:1143 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We spent June and July driving some outback roads in NW Queensland and around the Center in NT. Where roads were listed in the EO Road Condition section I posted comments.

I was surprised that the Flinders Highway was only partially listed, with the section from Hughenden to Charters Towers shown but not the rest. Travelers should be aware that there are multiple sections of the Flinders Highway between Julia Creek and Hughenden under reconstruction. Half the road is closed and traffic flow regulated by automated stop/go lights. I didn't count them but there must have been upwards of 20 sections of road each at least 1 kilometre long.

Some of the road has been completed. It will be a much improved road when the work is complete.
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 17:26

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 17:26
Hi Kevin,
Just travelled that road and as you said too many stop/go lights to count, but it looks like the delays will be worth it once the road is upgraded. Found a unusual stop at a little place called Nelia, met one of the road contractors there, a interesting night.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 537206

Reply By: Life Member - Mike (SA) - Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 17:43

Tuesday, Aug 05, 2014 at 17:43
Thanks Kevin,

I am also travelling in Queensland! I will look into the listings' expansion when I return home.
all the best.
Mike
Too little time in the bush!
VKS 737 Mobile 0230

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537207

Sponsored Links