AP 50 Cruise control update

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:35
ThreadID: 10905 Views:2615 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A big thank you to those who gave constructive advise about my newly installed cruise control!
It is working fine now, cutting the black wire loop did the trick.

I have tested it at 80kmh, where it drove much better than I could hold a speed :-0.
I will test it at 100kmh tomorrow on the freeway. It starts to cut in around 50 kmh but I will never use it a that speed, nor likely will at over 100 kmh.

This cruise control will be very welcomed at an upcoming trip across the Nullarbor, towing a big boat. No more right knee cramps :-)

I learned a few things which I like to pass on. It is not necessary to start the engine in diagnostic test 'B'. I had the command module mounted on the far right of the dash. Turning on the ignition, I could reach through the window and toggle the SET button while watching the linkage of the vacuum actuator under the bonnet.
It advances one 'click' at each press of the button. What it also does, and the manual does not say so, is to advance in a rapid series of 'clicks' if the SET button is held down. No engine racket to find that one out :-).

I had stuck the magnets on with araldite. Brushed and scraped the area (Universal joint flange rim, at the transfer box output shaft) first to bare metal and then wiped it clean with acetone. Stuck on two magnets, they did not come off at 110 kmh, just overnight cured araldite holding them. The magnets are wired on as well now, just to be sure.
I find it silly to suggest just fitting one magnet, they should supply a dummy weight then, to keep the shaft balanced.
Anyway, the trick with sticking magnets on is proper surface preparation.

I am happy now with my AP 50 cruise control. It works fine and is perfectly adequate for a 15 year old troopie;-).

Klaus
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 15:06

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 15:06
beat ya.

Mine's 16 years old!!

And my AP60 works a treat again too.

I've used two pack epoxy and a slimmer profile magnet

(you can buy little, but strong, magnets in the craft section of bunnings)
AnswerID: 48757

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 19:36

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 19:36
Sorted out a mate's HiLux campervan the other day - needed one magnet, but didn't like the idea of putting the tailshaft out of balance, so made up a bit of flat iron the same weight as the magnet and wired it onto the other side of the shaft. The usual araldite was used to make sure it never shifts and it all works a treat. Only thing, is I'm still getting the araldite out of my beard from the drips.
The later AP50's don't have the loop of wire - the division rate is set via the set/resume buttons to change software settings.
I still reckon that Command should improve the design to accomodate a higher pulse rate from the sender - they told me to remove one magnet on my Patrol. It seems that a lot of vehicles need only one magnet - why not design the bl00dy thing correctly from the start.
Gerry
AnswerID: 48781

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:45

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:45
I recently fitted the AP60 & think its the best thing since sliced bread.

I used Devcon (plastic steel epoxy) to hold the single magnet on with the wire loops, damn near couldn't chisel it off if you wanted too.

Thought while i was there id fit the cluch reeds as well.

Top product.
AnswerID: 48814

Reply By: Member - JEFF - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:24

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:24
G'day Fellers

I have a 1999 1hz diezel troopie and was also concidering installing Cruise Control. Can you tell me where I might purchase the AP 50/60.
i'M AN ECONOMIC PRISONER OF SYDNEY !!!!! (pardon the shouting)

Thanks for any advise

Regards Jeff
AnswerID: 48839

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:12

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:12
Hi Jeff,
KMart flog the AP50. Expect to pay about 180, but occasionally on special. Have the distributor's Sydney number somewhere, but can't put my finger on it just now.
rgds
GErry
FollowupID: 310730

Sponsored Links