Oziexplorer - what to buy?

Hi guys,
I am quite new to the whole GPS navigation scheme :-) and bought a Eonon (chinese) headunit for my Patrol. Now I got iGo Primo installed (unfortunately couldn't seem to find an up to date Australian version and no source to buy it) and a Demo of Ozi Explorer.

I got the Ozi Explorer to run and although it looks pretty rough on the edges, I would go with the recommendation of everyone and buy it for offroad navigation. Now I am unsure what I need.

From what I understand you run OziExplorerCE on the headunit (40 AUD) and OziExplorer on your PC (130 AUD) for route planning? You need the PC programm because the Windows CE version doesn't make a detailled planning possible?

Now there is an offer with the Hema 4WD Raster Map Collection (and even Australia Topo Maps). Do you need those because the OziExplorer doesn't have its own maps? Does that mean if I don't buy those Hema maps I would have a navigation programm but nothing "to plan on"?

Sorry I am a bit confused and maybe asking really stupid questions...

Philipp
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 23:40

Wednesday, Aug 06, 2014 at 23:40
Hi Phillip, Questions are not stupid but you are well off the track in your thinking. Not sure where you are located but it would be best if someone can sit with you and guide you through the processes. What region/city do you live in ?
AnswerID: 537295

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 07:32

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 07:32
I think you are somewhat on the right track.

You need either Android or windows CE as your operating system.

The head unit probably has Android.

Then you need mapping software such as Oziexplorer CE or Android on the device and then you need maps such as Hema or Oztopo or both.

And yes it works better if you have Oziexplore running on your PC/laptop to do the planning etc. It allows you to study your maps without being in the car and on a larger screen.

You can usually transfer Maps/waypoints etc to your car unit via a micro SD card. That is what I do anyway

You get map updates on the PC and then transfer them to the micro SD card and put that into the head unit in the car.

Alan
AnswerID: 537300

Follow Up By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 08:25

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 08:25
Does that mean one has to purchase two versions of Ozexplorer,
one for the full PC & one for the abbreviated tablet form?
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 821564

Follow Up By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 08:32

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 08:32
Yes

I works on a full operating system (eg windows 8 or something similar) on the PC or laptop cost is $109USD

The other version (about $40USD) works in the confined environment of android or windows CE operating systems on tablets, dash head untis etc.

They are one off purchases as future updates can be made free.

Alan
FollowupID: 821568

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 07:34

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 07:34
Philipp,

You are not off the track in your thinking and are quite correct in that you will need a set of digital maps for OziExplorer to be functional.

Two sources of these maps are the Hema series, which are very good and the EOTopo series, available for purchase, but still in development by David, the ExplorOz Owner.
Without attempting to upset David, I couldn't recommend EOTopo as the sole source for digital maps at present, as there is no distance reference in the current release. When David has fully developed EOTopo, it may well be the only reference required.

As for iGo, I wouldn't bother trying to source an Australian version for your Eonon.
You cannot run both street navigation and off road navigation at the same time and your money would be better spent on a separate street navigation device, such as Tomtom, Garmin, or Navman. The base models in any brand are quite realistically priced and will better serve you for street navigation purposes.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537301

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 08:36

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 08:36
Philipp

I don't know how much you have spent so far, and therefore committed to a certain path. But a far simpler solution is to use a dedicated app like Hema 4WD installed on a phone or tablet. It comes in either iOS or Android versions. Costs about $120 all inclusive.

The app does not have the complexity of OziExplorer.

I plan my trips using large screen maps like EOTopo Online. I don't need to preload waypoints onto the in car navigator.

When in the car I use an iPhone, an iPad, and a Nexus 7 with the Hema app. While I have had OziExplorer for many years, and used to use it exclusively, I rarely use it now and don't miss any of the complexity or additional functionality.

OziExplorer is definitely a waste of money unless you are a professional cartographer or such like. In addition, it has been made available for every Mickey Mouse OS that has ever existed, but steadfastly remained unavailable for iOS.

Bob
AnswerID: 537302

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:15

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:15
"OziExplorer is definitely a waste of money unless you are a professional cartographer or such like."

If you have no use for it then it is a waste of money but you can say that about anything you buy and then dont use, it is a meaningless statement.

PC version of Ozi if far from a waste of money for many non-professionals (professional "cartographers" use Arcview, Mapinfo, GlobalMapper, QGIS etc by the way). It is actually not that good for "making" maps (relative to the above mentioned programs), it is however very handy for data management and trip planning which is the main reason you would get the PC version. Is is obviously also very good for data collection (in its various forms) and navigation (where "turn by turn" not required).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 821580

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 14:00

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 14:00
Greg

When I made the post I thought I should don the flak hat!

"professional cartographer or such like" was hyperbolic, but was intended to include the serious hobbyist.

Philipp said he was a beginner. I contend he would be much better off using the Hema app, rather than Ozi, and save himself quite a bit of dough.

With regard to data collection, the Hema app allows track recording, which is all the data most people, including the beginner, need.

Bob
FollowupID: 821584

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 15:46

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 15:46
Hi

No sure of the definition of a "serious hobbyist".....but anyway it is still a meaningless comment . If you have no use for the PC version then it is indeed a waste of money (whatever you maybe, professional/amateur/serious/not serious).

Fact of the matter is that the PC version does do things the other variations (android, CE) dont do ...and if you need/want these it is not a waste of money. Neither you or I can predict if the OP will need or desire the additional functionality of the PC version (now or in future)...BUT as I suggested below - you can use PC Ozi for free with certain limitations...so worth a crack before shelling out $130 (hardly "quite a bit of dough" for a program with lifetime updates but everyone has a budget I suppose).

It may eventuate that he can get by without the licensed version (bit of to-ing and fro-ing between Demo version and Trial version required...but if you're not "serious" and not keen on forking out a small amount of cash you maybe able to put up with the pain :)

Anyway, information provided - up to OP what course of action to take.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 821593

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 21:53

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 21:53
I must have misinterpreted the OP's emphasis on the fact that he was a beginner, and his emphasis on the dollar cost of each component.
FollowupID: 821609

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 22:16

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 22:16
I didn't ..that's why I suggested all the free options first instead of telling him it was a waste of money and to to forget about it :) Everyone is a beginner ..in the beginning.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 821610

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 23:19

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 23:19
We use the full version of Ozi when travelling and once you learn how to use it properly it has many useful features that the CE version doesn't have and only the PC based Track Ranger comes close to.

So I don't know about your term "OziExplorer is definitely a waste of money unless you are a professional cartographer or such like."

I suppose it depends if you need basic mapping or your a poser.... or If your serious in remote travelling.
FollowupID: 821614

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:18

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 09:18
I think some people underestimate the functions of the Hema App.
For $100 you get all the Hema Maps, the 1:250,000 series, and you can use EOTopo 1:200,000 and the higher resolution state maps. It does enable serious off road travel (like to remote desert confluence points).

Bob
"Serious remote traveller", several Ozi licenses, just not an Ozi fanboi.
FollowupID: 821619

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:33

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:33
Philipp,

I have the same unit in my Landcruiser and this is what I have on mine that we use all the time. The device runs Windows Mobile 6 a variation of CE. For street nav I use iGo Primo and Australia Roads Sensis 2014. All works really well. For off road I use OziExplorer CE coupled with EOZi CE, and EOTopo 200K. I have heaps of other maps available but for 99% of the time EOTopo 200K is all I use. (PS: New version getting ready to be released with over 400,000 updates).

OziExplorer CE, EOZi CE and EOTopo 200K are available in the ExplorOz Shop (click on the linked words). Plus if you are wanting to use the ExplorOz treknotes you should really add the EOTreks Route files product which loads straight in.

As for desktop versions of OziExplorer, yes and no. You do not have to have it to make your in car device work and really when we travel we plan on the move so use the in vehicle setup for everything. I would get this later if you think you need to do more planning on your desktop.

Back to the Eonon - So it has a Nav button which runs a single nav program I have written a program that you run when this button is pushed and it has a selection screen to allow you to choose Street or 4WD nav mode - this will then run your nav program. I have given this program away to a number of people on the site and they all say it works well. I was going to package this but it is a small program and I am happy to give it away.

Extract the zip edit the EOZi_Nav.txt file and you will see two lines STREET & 4WD put the path to your street and 4wd programs in this file. Copy the txt and (rename the .ex1 to .exe) exe to the SD card and set the EOZi_Nav.exe as the nav program in the Eono setup and you should be good to go.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 537314

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:41

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:41
Oh yeah the selection screen looks something like this when you press the Nav button - this image taken from our work on the Opal navigation device:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 821577

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:45

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 11:45
Ok and another product image plug EOZi CE will make the OziExplorer system a lot easier to use and understand and is the reason we developed. Here is a sample screen:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 821578

Reply By: The Explorer - Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:02

Thursday, Aug 07, 2014 at 12:02
Hi

If you download the PC version of OziExplorer you can use it in Trial or Demo modes. No need for purchase. These modes have limitations but between the two of them you can do most things. The various limitations are listed on the Ozi Webpage

If you find the demo/trail versions inconvenient/wont do what you want them maybe consider purchasing a licensed version.

So my recommendation - download PC OZI and try it before laying out any cash.

Yes - no maps (of any use) included. You can get the 250K scale map of all of Australia (year 2008) HERE. This should do for starters..it may or may not be all you need. After you have a had a play you can consider getting other more detailed or more informative map sets - they come in a variety of scales, for various areas but most cost a little bit of money. Some other free ones below...

Free NSW maps for Ozi HERE

Free Vic Maps for Ozi HERE

Like the 2008 250K topo map, EOtopo (mentioned in above post) is probably the only one that covers all of Australia (in raster format) but there are other more detailed map sets of smaller areas (but not all of Australia is available at all scales). See the Exploroz shop for various digital maps.

Hema and West-Print produce good "touring" maps. They are annotated with main tourist routes, distances between points, accommodation, fuel, geographical highlights etc and are very popular. Some of the other more detailed maps (i.e. larger scale such as 100K, 50K 25K) dont necessarily show all tourist routes/attractions but are good for "exploring". Make sure you choose a map set/s that suits your needs....

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 537315

Sponsored Links