Melbourne to Perth

Submitted: Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 20:18
ThreadID: 109073 Views:1870 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey all, I'm planning a two to three week trip travelling one way from Melbourne to Perth, in mid January next year. I have a Landcruiser 80 series, twin locked, winch, 3 inch lift, very capable car, did a four month trip from Perth to Melbourne two years ago, up the West Coast, through the Kimberly's, down through the Centre, back up to Birdsville, Fraser Island, and Brisbane, and down the East Coast to Melbourne. Absolutely amazing trip! So what I'm asking is, what places do people recommend I see on the way to Perth? I will be doing the Great Ocean Road, The Otway Ranges, and stopping in Portland for a day to visit my brother. From there I'm open to suggestions. I'm mostly interested in amazing sights/scenery, and exploring only 4wd accessible destinations. Two to three weeks is a guide only, if it takes four to five, no problem. I have done this trip before, six years ago, but basically drove straight through, very little sight seeing, apart from Eucla (beautiful place), and Kalgoorlie, and virtually no 4wding. Ok, so I think I've given enough information, I look forward to your advice and suggestions.
Cheers
Daryl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 23:14

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 23:14
You could consider travelling the Old Eyre Hwy through SA and into WA. Basically, you can leave the bitumen at Nullabor Homestead and return to it at Madura (roughly speaking). There is plenty to see on the way.

Sorry this isn't detailed advice but a good map of the area will make it clear to you. There are quite a few tracks on this stretch of country so a good map is essential and I wouldn't go without an electronic aid to tell me where I was on the map!

The trip would be best done at some other time though. It would be hideously hot in mid-January and once off the bitumen you may not see another car for a couple of days so here's hoping nothing goes wrong!

All the best.
Megan
AnswerID: 537408

Follow Up By: Member - Megan and Kevin D (AC - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 23:17

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 23:17
"Nullarbor" not "Nullabor" - apologies!
FollowupID: 821679

Follow Up By: jamdan - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 23:57

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 23:57
Thanx Magan and Kevin, I have been looking into that track just tonight, a few others I might do also. I'm aware of the temperatures at that time, and will be well prepared.
Cheers
Daryl
FollowupID: 821681

Follow Up By: jamdan - Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 23:58

Friday, Aug 08, 2014 at 23:58
*Megan, sorry
FollowupID: 821682

Reply By: Member - Colin E - Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 06:07

Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 06:07
Daryl have a good look around Robe
Also just before Balladonia turn left towards Toolina Cove and follow the coast to Esperance even better head for the coast at Eyre observatory
But expect plenty of bush stripeing
Colin
AnswerID: 537410

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 19:33

Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 19:33
Toolina Cove is special. For a slightly softer option turn left at Balladonia itself and head down through the Cape Arid national park to Israelite Bay.

Cheers
FollowupID: 821705

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 08:23

Saturday, Aug 09, 2014 at 08:23
From Portland I'd head NW through Mt Gambier then the Coonawarra for supplies, then perhaps take in the Border Track as I headed N toward the Riverland Region. Explore along the Murray to Morgan before heading to Burra. The small towns of SA along the Goyder line are always worth visiting. From Orroroo you could side track into the Finders Ranges before reaching Port Augusta. I'd suggest taking in Googs Track. If you did it N to S you would head north from PA and turn L to Tarcoola then down Googs to Ceduna. If you did it S to N you would need to decide if you travelled west along the Trans Track or headed N to the Ann Beadell. If you have already driven the Ann Beadell you could turn left at Victory Downs and take the road past Mt Connor, Uluru, the GCR etc

If you end up on the Eyre Hwy, a drive down the dog fence before Yalata is a must. You could then leave the Eyre at the Head of the Bight and go up through Cook to Vokes Corner and then the Ann Beadell.

Its going to be warm, but it sounds like you're well set up.

I wish I had three weeks to mosey west.

All the best for a great trip.
AnswerID: 537414

Sponsored Links