Drowned Patrol

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:54
ThreadID: 10910 Views:2529 Replies:19 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I've just had a very distressing weekend when I was overtaken by stupidity and took my 2 month old Patrol (3.0L TD, manual, ST) through a swamp and got promptly stuck. Wasn't so bad at first but the more I tried to get it movin' the more it slid sideways into deeper water... until the water was at headlight level. And so the drowning began.

15 mins later a passer by in a Magna came by and managed to pull me to shallower water just as the interior water level was rising towards transmission-hump height. That was as much as he could do for me. And there it was left to soak. Water level was steady at bottom-of-seat-base height.

40 mins later and some coppers came to my call for help with a Rodeo and a Patrol, both equpped with winches, and promptly pulled me out (it needed both winches to get going). I was able to drive home after this episode though and probably only because I've got an OE snorkel fitted.

Now, 2 days later, my still-damp Patrol has had all the seats removed and subsequntly replaced after a carpet steam-cleaning. The passenger side lights still have water in them and the motor makes a grating/grinding/squealing noise which I suspect to be coming from the belt (noise goes away when the belt is wetted). Also the trims on the rear doors and tail gates are slightly warped. It's booked into Nissan for tomorrow.

So after 2 days of extreme regret, anger with myself and hard yakka trying to bring it back to some semblance of it's former glory I would like to know what I can/should do to rectify current/stem further damage. Thanks for any help.

Yours regretfully.

PS Thanks to the local Police and the passer-by that came to my aid.
PSS To anyone who wants to berate, I've already done that for you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cashy - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 13:31

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 13:31
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Not much I can say to help, but lucky you had a snorkle. I would suggest a full change of all fluids in the car.

A few pointers to consider thou:
1) never cross water/swamps without walking them first.
2) consider doing a 4wd course, or join a club with a good 4wd course
3) never go 4wding alone, makes recovery easier and quicker

Cashy
AnswerID: 48743

Follow Up By: Robert - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:29

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:29
"3) never go 4wding alone, makes recovery easier and quicker "

I think more the point is that:

If travelling alone, before you attempt something a bit risky, you consider firstly whether it will be possible to recover yourself - if things do go wrong and secondly ask yourself do I really need to do this?

In other words think carefully and err on the side of caution.

Better to be safe than sorry!
FollowupID: 310547

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 13:44

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 13:44
Oops

The first thing Change all the oils. Motor oil and filter, gear box oil ,diff oil and replace the grease in the front bearings. Sitting in water for that long it will get into everthing.

Nissan service should do all this but I would not trust any one unless I watched them do it. Sorry that is just me.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48744

Follow Up By: Freshn - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:22

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:22
Cashy and Wayne,

I have called Nissan regarding the fluids and they said that diffs, gearbox, transfer case, brake and clutch actuation systems and drive shafts and axles are all sealed shouldn't be necessary to replace these fluids. Only exception is if any of these componenets were leaking fluid prior to this little exercise.

Would a check of all fluids be sufficient?
FollowupID: 310546

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:16

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:16
In a word no!

The breather on the Patrol sits atop of the gearbox. The breather system links the gearbox and transfer case to the front and rear diffs.

This system is fine, but if the gearbox is immersed, then you are stuffed.

The best way to fix all of the trims is to simply replace them.

The headlights will rust, so replacing them is the only option.

FollowupID: 310561

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 13:53

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 13:53
Hi Freshn
At least you had a snorkel that worked.
Was at a dealer pre christmas and they had a 2month 7K old tojo tray deisel with an OE snorkel ( they are 2 piece & not water tight) as the owner found out after doing a test in a dam slid in a bit far sucked in water and he forgot the hand break as he jumped out so it rolled in further, Totally Stuffed

CheersPrado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
Only a lady driver would do that
AnswerID: 48746

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 13:57

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 13:57
Snorkle will only protect so much.

A Friend on mine drowned his patrol when the water came up to the dashboard . . . Lecky bits don't like water . . .

Sounds like some valuable leasons learnt on that trip . . .
AnswerID: 48748

Follow Up By: Freshn - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:14

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:14
Yes, well and truly learnt but should have been smarter and learnt from other peoples mistakes instead...
FollowupID: 310545

Follow Up By: madcow - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:29

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:29
where abouts did that happen? when did it happen?
FollowupID: 310548

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:13

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:13
I pulled a Nissan out of a river,the water was not that deep and it was facing down steam so that the water was building up on the back of the vehicle. Owner checked the air filter and it was bone dry, still had dust on the filter. He was happy that no water hade made its way into the air filter and was sure the motor was not hydrauliced. While he was trying to sort out the stuff in side ,a couple of us pulled the sparke plugs out and gave the motor a crank over. We got covered in water when it pumped it out of the last two pistons.
Water had entered the motor via the exhaust pipe. It just pays to check.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48750

Reply By: ross - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:15

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:15
Youve probably avoided major damage to the electrical system by not going to deep.
Apart from the things Wayne outlined and making sure the areas under the carpet are totally dry that is about all you can do.
Try some spray-on belt dressing for the squealing ,it works wonders

I think that Magna deserves a Nissan recovery vehicle sticker ;)
AnswerID: 48751

Reply By: goingplatinumcomau - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:28

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:28
Sorry to hear of your situation

Are you sure you want to go to Nissan ? ....... i would have thought futher warranty problems if any You don,t want to give them a Out.

Also think of several changes of all fluids and keep an eye out for flooded creeks or launch a boat at the ramp and inadvertnly leave the hand brake of.

I have seen water damage problems just keep coming forever.

AnswerID: 48753

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:48

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 14:48
Freshn,

THEY DO NOT KNOW.
(Sorry for shouting.) They do not go 4 wheel driving.If they did they would know.

Do not let stupidity over take you again. If they will not change the oil, change it your-self or get some one else to do it . The main thing dont take the chance. A few dollars on oil and grease now or a blown diff or gearbox later.

The Nissians do have good breathers on the diffs and gear box. The breather pipes run up into the inner guard on the passenger side. You donot need to have oil leaking from the diff or gear box to allow water to get in . The seals ar made to stop oil getting out not water getting in.

You might be lucky and not have any water contamination, but change the oils and grease, it would be worth it in the long run.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48755

Reply By: adrian222 - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:46

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 16:46
I would consider your vehicle christend isn't this what it is all about,getting down and dirty.I do it it to my vehicle all the time.

Adrian
AnswerID: 48766

Reply By: chrisfrd - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:20

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:20
Did the water get above knee height?

If so, check the computer and such. The computer is at knee height on the right-hand side of the centre part of the dash, to the right of the radio.

If this as got wet, then it may work for a few weeks or months before stuffing up.

The breather pipe on the 3.0's only go to the gearbox and stop. I don't think that they go to the passenger side.
AnswerID: 48769

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:38

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 17:38
I had my head under the bonnet of a patrol last weekend and I saw three 8mm steel pipes coming up from the chassis rail on the passenger side. The pipes had rubber hoses on the end that went under the firewall and then disappeared. The other ends went along the inner guard before going into a rubber grommet about 1/3 of the way down the inner guard.

I was under the impression that they were the breathers for the diffs and gearbox. I can't remember what motor was in the vehicle but being such a good idea I thought that Nissan would carryed it through the whole range.

If they are not breathers what are they?
WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 310568

Follow Up By: Roachie - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:29

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:29
Wayne, You're right. My 4.2 T/D has them coming up there from both diffs and gear/trf boxes. I've actually fitted extended breathers to both diffs (Piranha I think) with the outlets set as high as possible above the back/centre of the motor off the firewall. One of these days I'll get around to doing the 2 boxes too. It only gets the height up another 6 inches or so, I guess and may not be all that necessary.
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 310623

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:53

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:53
I remember a little advice I was given when I got my 1st 4wd.

"They can get you deeper into trouble"Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
AnswerID: 48776

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:56

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:56
And that's why you stay at home or cruise the Adelaide streets at night...heheheheheWillem
Little Dip Cons Park S.A.
FollowupID: 310598

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:52

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:52
aawwe.... shut up Willem!Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 310612

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:05

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:05
Richard....I win.... I win...this is the first time you have not come back with some smart arse comment. What....cat got yer tongue.?? ..hahahahaha

Hey, why don't you come down to LD this weekend?

Cheers,Willem
FollowupID: 310616

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:50

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:50
it was my wedding aniversary 1/3 and I'm not thinking properly to challenge you Willem....give me time will ya!!
mmm LD? dont think swmbo will goWow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 310651

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:54

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 07:54
Willem, Adelaide has lots of streets to cruise, (probabaly explains why my wife is a tourist - always out) ...not like PeterboroughI am human ...I think?
Must be....make too many mistakes!
FollowupID: 310653

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:49

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:49
Its been about an hour and still no reply....you must still be dreaming, getting your Beauty Sleep eh? and hell you need lots of it! lol lolWow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 310654

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:45

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:45
okay okay I'll agree
but I must point that I didnt think you really needed that much beauty sleep...but first impressions can be wrong eh?Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 310655

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:10

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:10
So Eskimo and Nudenut are one and the same person....you slipped up there Richard. How come you have two aliases and why??? Anyway now that I know I will have to double my efforts to give you a hard time.

Yes, I was in bed getting my beauty sleep .....hahahaha

BTW I'll be off the air from midday today till mid next week.

Cheers,Willem
FollowupID: 310662

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 19:19

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 19:19
Been there done that ,mate. I have drowned about 5, I think, in 30 years of 4x4's New or older vehicles alike. Your Nissan will survive. Drain ALL the oils and refill. Also pull the wheels off and check everything around the brakes. Also look in the doors and pull the grommets out to let any water run out. Soggy carpet and seats will dry out. Good luck.Willem
AnswerID: 48777

Reply By: Matt M - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 19:35

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 19:35
Freshen, I agree woith most, there is NOWAY I would not change the oils, ther more the merrier, its a small price to pay for such a large investment in the future.

It doesnt take much water to imulsify oil or contaminate grease.

as for the trim, I would be staying very far away from Nissan, nothing personal, but they are not trim experts. Im assuming you will have to pay for the reapir, doubt this is a warranty claim. Why not take it to an Auto Trimmer, most Trimmers can replace the interior better and for alot less than Nissan could ever!!

I had a sierra totally carpeted throughout with marine grade carpet looked awesome and meant I can remove the footwell stuff and hose off!

Hey just a thought! Goodluck with the car, you must be devestated!!

Matt.
AnswerID: 48780

Reply By: Freshn - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:03

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:03
All,
Point taken - I'm gonna change oils in diffs, transmission and transfer case. I'm not comfortable with pulling apart my swivel hubs so I'll just do a colour check of the grease (by taking out a bolt holding the swivel hub's lower cover on and poke a stick around inside). I'll get a price from a qualified mechanic to replace the grease and if it's more than I can bear I'll take my chances the check will reveal any water entry (and lose if it doesn't).

I went to Parramatta Nissan today to try and get all the bits I needed and ended up only with an overpriced oil filter (paid $33, I know Liverpool Nissan sell these for $27). I also asked for fluids for motor, front and rear diffs, transfer and transmission. They offered 10L of motor oil for ~$55 (!) to which I politely declined (trucking supply places will sell 20L of Castrol RX Super for ~$60). And of the other fluids, believe it or not, they didn't have any to sell. In fact they didn't even know what oil the transfer needed (even after the parts guy having asked one of the mechanics)...

Matt,
I'll price OE door trims and if my heart stops I'll just live the warpage (it's only slight anyways).

Willem,
The carpets are still wet and it wont dry out anytime soon. To be precise the carpets are dry but all the underlay stuff is still soggy and they wont dry anytime soon. The carpets have a rubber/plastic backing that wont let moisture pass... hope they dry before thay start to rot!
AnswerID: 48804

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:55

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 17:55
Freshn,

The oil that goes in the transfer case is the same as what goes in the gear box.

WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 310725

Follow Up By: Freshn - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:28

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:28
Wayne,

Transfer oil is auto-box oil (Dexron 3) and manual 'box oil is, well, manual 'box oil!
FollowupID: 310733

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:55

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:55
Freshn,

So they use automatic tranmission oil in the transfer case and a 75W/90 in the gear box. Bugger another oil to buy. The cruiser uses the same oil in the gear box and transfer case.

I stand corrected and will file that information away until one night around a camp fire I will mention that fact.

Wayne Always Out'N About
FollowupID: 310739

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:16

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:16
It will take a week or so for it to dry out completely..

1) You were on your own trying out the car for the first time? Bet you wont be next time...

2) Was it on the stock GU tires?? They have problems gripping on the Big W Gravel carpark, let alone a slimy swamp!

The GU actually has some holes in the floor behind the kick panels (I think thats where it was, there was a post on the patrol list ages ago about it, ask Roly about it... He will no doubt correct me if Im wrong, its his way of having an orgasm) that are unplugged! The water just comes straight in.. Roly found it out the hard way if I remember,...

While your interior is out of the car completely, plug and sillycone ANYTHING that looks like a hole.

Best way to do it is Go outside at night turn all lights off, put a good light inside your car, turn it on, and take your time, look from underneath for light comin thru with the spotlight in the car...

Good luck.. Nissan killed the warranty on a few GUs when they found tide marks under the carpet from where cars were drowned in the past..
AnswerID: 48807

Reply By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:37

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:37
Some good advice i stick by,

If you can't walk it, you probebly can't drive it !

I also like having a second vehical with me, peice of mind.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 48811

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:52

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 14:52
Kev what about the Croc's????

Brian
FollowupID: 310851

Follow Up By: Kev - (Cairns,QLD) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 17:13

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 17:13
Second thoughts, don't walk it just drive it. :-)
FollowupID: 310893

Reply By: colin - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:33

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 09:33
Also think about investing in one of those electronic rust stoppers, good insurance long term. Col
AnswerID: 48846

Reply By: Diesel Do - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 14:29

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 14:29
Was it fresh water or salt? Will make a big difference to future rust problems...

AnswerID: 48882

Follow Up By: Freshn - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:29

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:29
Freshwater.
FollowupID: 310734

Reply By: Freshn - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:31

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:31
Thanks to all for responding.

BTW, I got the (wet) beast back from Nissan today and to my surprise they replaced the passenger side signals and headlight cluster! They put some dry-lube on the belt and it's all quiet again but I wonder how long that'll last though...
AnswerID: 48909

Follow Up By: Freshn - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:28

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:28
Just checked the fluids... motor, transmission and transfer good but front and rear diffs and swivel hubs have got plenty of water! All breathers still had water in them...
FollowupID: 310861

Sponsored Links