Where to leave van before heading into El Questro ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 00:04
ThreadID: 109120 Views:4282 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
we were just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on where we can leave our van safely on the Gibb River Road as we were wanting to go into EL Questro without taking the van in with us or is the road into El Questro ok to tow a 24 ft off road van into the station.
Many Thanks
Sue and Shaun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 07:33

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 07:33
The road into El Questro is OK for the most part, but there is a couple of creek crossings to contend with.
If you have a full offroad van you should be OK though.

If you have any doubts, you may be able to leave your van at Emma Gorge Resort. This is part of El Questro holdings, but I would assume a fee would be applicable.

There is a sizable area to the right of the resort buildings, adjacent to the car park where the van can be left.

Best ring Emma Gorge Resort office and they will advise.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537602

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 07:33

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 07:33
The road in is suitable for caravans. Then unhitch and drive the tracks.

If you are going west on Gibb river road then the road into El Questro is just a taste on what is to come. Lower tyre pressures and speed and all will be OK

Alan
AnswerID: 537603

Reply By: baznpud (tassie) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 09:27

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 09:27
We were on the GRR in 2012 as far as Home Valley Station, and from the Kununurra most of the road was either good gravel or sealed, would think that to El Questro it would now be sealed.
Unless you are only doing a day trip, would strongly suggest you take the van with you, as said drop tyre pressure and speed, won't be a problem.
baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537608

Reply By: Rangiephil - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 09:54

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 09:54
The GRR is now sealed to the El Questro entrance.

However when we were there about 6-8 weeks ago , the 30Km into El Questro village was the worst for corrugations of the whole GRR which we had just traversed.

The volume of traffic into El questro is such that it quickly deteriorates into "washboard" which is of a freqeuncy that sets up harmonics in everything that traverses it.
I thought it was just my Discovery2 but when we got the shuttle bus out to Kununurra , the bus we were in vibrated like a sail and the driving lights moved their beam for metres..
There is nothing that would stop a big van, but friends who were there at the same time with a similarly big van were apparently asked to pay double for a powered site(AFAIR $80 per night and only commissioned about 8 weeks ago) . They chose a non powered site next to us.

Regards Philip A

AnswerID: 537609

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 18:30

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 18:30
Interesting comments Philip,

Having been there, I would not bother again.
The highlight for us was a soak in the Pentacost River at the bottom end of the camping area.

Was going to take a look at Zeebedee Springs on the way out but there was no parking room for a couple of rigs towing campers.
You have to go before midday as the afternoon is reserved for the high rollers staying at the resorts expensive rooms.
Certainly not our idea of a good camping location.
Luckily we only stayed the one night and spent more time at Drysdale River. Loved the bush camping at the Miners Pool.
Swam in the pool in the morning, fished around midday, then watched a freshie soaking in the pool in the afternoon.
Went back each day (4) we were there and took several dips without any concern about the Johnson crocks.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 821860

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 18:42

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 18:42
What Phil said in spades.

My opinion, the best place to leave your van is hooked to the back of your car and keep going. Home Valley much better.
El Expensive O is taylored to the overseas tourist with plenty of cash and probably flies in. The road 2 months ago was atrocious and the creek crossings would do less damage.

Could you take your van in there? Probably yes. What condition would it be in after a trip in and then out??????????????

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 821862

Reply By: Slow one - Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:16

Wednesday, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:16
Havne'n't been there for a good few years so don't know what the road in is like but I can suggest you leave your van at the show grounds, it is supposedly only for big rite and pets but they may see it differently if you explain what you wish to do.

here are the contact details.

199 Coolibah Drive
Kununurra WA 6743
Tel: (08) 9168 2885

AnswerID: 537614

Reply By: steved58 - Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 07:51

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 07:51
Took my 21ft outback sterling in 2012 not a problem just take it slow after two days there decided that this was expensive crap home valley heaps better I will never go back

Steve
AnswerID: 537639

Reply By: Member - Rowdy6032 (WA) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 14:01

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 14:01
Whilst some may argue that El Questro is expensive, it is hard to believe that people didn't find things there of interest.

We spent 4 days there in 2010 and were fortunate enough to get one of the bush camps along the river. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience. In the 4 days we didn't get to see everything.

We only passed through the main campsite on the way to the different attractions. If you were in the main camp area and were tempted to spend, then things may get out of hand.

Our only expense was the camping fee and permit. According to their web site at the moment the camping fee for the main camping area is $20 per person, per night. Considering its location, I don't regard this as excessive.

[Image cannot be loaded]

Home Valley was also an enjoyable experience and once again we camped at the bush camp for 3 days. We only went into the main area to pay our fees.

The scenery at Home Valley was different to El Questro but still of interest.

AnswerID: 537652

Reply By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 14:43

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 14:43
We stayed there last year for a few nights in the main campground as they do not allow tandem axle caravans to access the more isolated river-side camps ( I did ask) , although we managed to find a place right beside the river, in the shade of a lovely big tree anyway which was almost as good. We were so glad for the shade as we did not tolerate the heat well as we made our way north, despite it only being July! We were also happy enough to pay the fees to stay there.

Our van was 20ft long, and a Jayco Outback StarCraft, and we had no problems getting there. Generators were permitted and so were campfires. Although it was busy we were prepared for that and used the place as a base to do a number of the walks, also drove to Emma Gorge for the walk and out to the first river crossing on the GGR (The Pentecost?), glad that we were not attempting to travel that road right through to the Derby end, as it was rough, we thought!

The dirt road in from the Gibb River Rd was also rough and corrugated when we did it, and was being graded, with a couple of water crossings, easy enough to do in an off road van due to increased clearance. So yes you can take your van in there provided you are prepared to drive slowly and to reduce the tyre pressure.

I am glad we visited and stayed there...we enjoyed the walks very much especially the one to Champagne springs where we found ourselves alone and took a dip in our undies to cool off! haha!

cheers,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537654

Reply By: Member - rkc47 (Mandurah, WA) - Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 22:05

Thursday, Aug 14, 2014 at 22:05
Hi, We travelled the GRR twice last year, visited El Questro once. Some stunning scenery but regrettably it's very touristy, very expensive and we thought the amenities did not match the fees involved. Conclusion- if you haven't been before then it's worth a visit. Follow advice from others and lower tyres pressures and speed, you will have no troubles driving into El Questro and that includes crossing the two 'designer' creek crossing. Enjoy your trip!
AnswerID: 537664

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Aug 15, 2014 at 09:11

Friday, Aug 15, 2014 at 09:11
as said its a short but corragated road into el questro

despite what people say its no more or less expensive than any of the other stations along the GRR although the wilderness permit adds a bit to the cost

the facilitys are as good as any of the other well developed station stays

if your after less developed station stays then places like ellenbrae might be more your thing
Some may baulk at the wilderness park cost but then if you go to simulary developed stations like Home Valley and Drysdale they dont have the self drive access to points of intrest
AnswerID: 537683

Sponsored Links