Diamantina Road & NP

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 11:27
ThreadID: 109156 Views:1719 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Have looked at Road conditions an searched forum with no recent results. We are in Charleville and had 51mm rain in last 24 hrs. Wish to head west but road conditions have not been updated since 7th. Any info appreciated.

Sun is shining on and off now but it has been 'interesting' in the camper! Thank goodness we have a hard floor but duckboards would have been useful in the annex.

Cheers
Min

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 11:44

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 11:44
Min,

Windorah has had over 27mm in the last 24 hours as well so I would not like to try getting into Diamantina National park in the near furutre. Sections of the road are black soil so will be very boggy I reckon.

Cheers Kev

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537757

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 13:02

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 13:02
Thanks Kev,

We are in Quilpie now having pizza at the pub. It is very cold and overcast.

I think we will give Diamantina NP & Plenty Hwy a miss - another time.

Many thanks
Min
FollowupID: 822046

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 15:23

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 15:23
Min,

Have just checked Weatherzone, and I'd be surprised if there's been much rain, at least enough to stop you, west of Windorah. Boulia, Birdsville and Bedourie had no rain in this last change, and Winton only had about 7mm.

That country is so dry this year that it would only need a day or two of sun to make the road through Palparra and Davenport, dry enough to be trafficable. If you're taking your time heading across there, then you'll be right over the next few days.

Charleville to Windorah should be good, all bitumen.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 537766

Follow Up By: Member - Min (NSW) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 13:09

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 13:09
Thanks Bob,

See my response to Kev above.

I think when we try again we will plan for some quality time in the area e.g NP. We have been this way few times and find this country very interesting. Will come in mid September next time!

Many thanks,

Min
FollowupID: 822047

Sponsored Links