Canning Stock Route Walking Trek for Suicide Awareness

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 11:31
ThreadID: 109157 Views:2080 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just a quick update on our CSR walking trek for suicide awareness. We are going back in May 2015 to do our CSR Walk. We will be starting from the beginning again. We have a few walkers Sarah Whitmarsh, Jo Graham and Rose Weber.
We would like to thank everyone for their numerous phone calls, and well wishes for Mick's speedy recovery and messages of support and also to our wonderful sponsors for their continuing support.
We would also like to thank Des Bunter our dear friend and Pam Armstrong, as well as the army experts, personal trainers, the rangers of the CSR and the owners of Glen Ayle Station, for their wonderful expert advice in helping us to make our CSR Trek a success for next year and for the great times we had this year.
Thank you everyone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark T6 - Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 11:43

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 11:43
Having done the CSR last year, in my air conditioned 4WD, loaded with food and beer in my fridge, camping on my comfy stretcher bed / mattress and sleeping in my Black Wolf Tent.......I am in COMPLETE AWE of anyone who does this.

We ran into Gaynor (can't think of her last name) at Durba Springs last year, had a nice long chat and she told me about the perils of the corrugations, the camels and the very basic diet.

Good luck guys, you are better people than I!!
AnswerID: 537756

Follow Up By: Member - CSR Walkers - Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 18:00

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 18:00
thanks MarkT6 no need to be in awe we are no better people than you. We are just lovers of our country and passionate about what we do. Cheers Mate
FollowupID: 822011

Reply By: wholehog- Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:15

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 12:15
Having endured the CSR by vehicle and swag...I can only lightly grasp the task in front of you...good luck to you guys and your cause..
AnswerID: 537760

Follow Up By: Member - CSR Walkers - Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 18:03

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 18:03
Thanks wholehog there is nothing like a swag next to a camp fire, we don't do tents to often either I think I have slept in a tent twice in my whole life. Australia has so much to offer and we are fortunate to live in this country, living the good life. Warm wishes to you.
FollowupID: 822012

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 19:17

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 19:17
Hi Mick and Rose,

Good luck for 2015; I'm glad Mick has recovered.

all the best

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 537777

Follow Up By: Member - CSR Walkers - Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 19:26

Saturday, Aug 16, 2014 at 19:26
Thanks Phil B, the cause suicide awareness is so important to us, that we won't give up. Walking the CSR is a metaphor for anyone who is in a dark place, no matter how tough the road is ahead never give up, one foot in front of the other. The CSR is not about us it is us fighting for those who can not speak for themselves, stopping the stigma is our passion.
So is our country Australia, how lucky are we and we appreciate everything Oz has to offer. Bring on the camp fire, flora and fauna and the history, we are truly blessed to having 4wd travelled around Australia for over 40 years now.
Your words above - Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.
You nailed it Phil....
FollowupID: 822014

Reply By: Noisy Mango - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 21:58

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 21:58
How about some thanks for the person and the company who conveyed you to safety through your 13 hour rescue ordeal?
AnswerID: 537827

Follow Up By: Member - CSR Walkers - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 08:42

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 08:42
We have thanked them personally and they do not want any more than that. . In fact two of them are coming to see us in at home in September, yes we are all friends now. Just in case you have concerns we could get ourselves out we were in the process of doing that driving to Glenayle Station in our support vehicle, when they came along and offered to make the trip there more comfortable with their vehicles. Which we gladly took up their offer, anything that made Mick more comfortable was welcome. Also even though everyone in our group knows first aid and our friends group also knows first aid, I was the only one with a medical degree and the knowledge to keep him stable till we flew out. You can see all the details on our website and facebook page.
So yes I intentionally left out their names and thanks out after consultation with them, thanks for your comments.
FollowupID: 822081

Follow Up By: Noisy Mango - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 18:20

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 18:20
Glad to hear you have thanked the driver personally. I got the impression he was a little disappointed to have not received a mention in your news interview.
The owner of the tour company (who pays his wages and fuel) tells me he has had no contact from you. I am sure you had your support organised for such a journey, and we would expect nothing less of our guides who are always ready to assist anyone in need.
FollowupID: 822128

Follow Up By: Member - CSR Walkers - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 19:50

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2014 at 19:50
Thanks Noisy Mango, yes we have thanked the drivers personally. And a correction the owner of the tour company did get out thanks we publically thanked the tour company on their Facebook page. I just was surprised that he would say that. I actually kept a copy of the page. We did actually thank him in our news interview and others but they did not play it on air, which disappointed us as well. That is the media for you, they didn't even play the interview that they did with Sarah the other walker for next year. I have also thanked Wayne and the other two people who would not take no for an answer (due to their kind hearts) that we could not accept their help. But they were beautiful people and we paid for their accommodation at the Travellers rest at Wiluna.
So if the owner of the company wants to say that we did not thank him he needs to go back on his facebook page and have a read about what he wrote that it was a pleasure to help us.
As for Wayne, Jim and Suzie we have all been in contact since we have returned on a few different occasions and it is all good here, we are catching up with Jim and Suzie next month and really looking forward to it.
Thanks for your comments though hope this clears it up.
FollowupID: 822131

Sponsored Links