HYundai iload- camper setup

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 09:48
ThreadID: 109169 Views:10492 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Im thinking of getting a Hyundai iload, either a 6 seater crewman or just a 3 seater and putting an aftermarket seat that folds forward when not needed. Has anyone done anything similar. What are the pitfalls etc.? any compliance issues with aftermarket seats? any seats better than the others? Know anyone selling a good one?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 10:27

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 10:27
Getting an aftermarket rear seat fitted is expensive, a pain, and looks no where near as good as one that came from the factory. Go the 6 seater or better still the IMax and remove the 3rd row when you don't need it if 5 seats is enough. Then you get all the Imax extras.
Unusual question for a "Griswald" to ask :-) You must be smarter than the average Griswald :-)
AnswerID: 537800

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 22:37

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 22:37
Just to add - think of the registration issues. A 3 seater will be classed as a goods carrying vehicle and attract expensive rego. A 8 seater might be classed as a passenger vehicle and cost the same as any other 4 cylinder. Not sure about the 6 seater, but with a name like Iload, it might still be commercial. Its very hard to get the classification changed.
FollowupID: 822074

Reply By: Bosun Broome - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 18:18

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 18:18
Good choice,
I bought a crew cab t/d auto in 2012 and have been very happy with the vehicle. I had trouble finding rims to suit offset but finally got onto King rims and fitted Bridgestone 697 which are terrific for offroad.I had traction control fitted and aftermarket cruise control which surprisingly was not available for I Load. I removed the rear bench and have a double mattress in back. If you could find aftermarket seats that fold forward would be great but I think you would have seat belt issues. A 40l Waeco fits nicely between mattress and rear door. A lift up door is essential . I finished off with TV on swivel bkt and a Sirrocco fan .I keep the vehicle in Tassy for when I am down there during wet season. I intend to sell the van probably around Xmas time as I have now retired and have ordered an AOR Quantum Camper so I will be driving my L/C 200 across to Caloundra to pick it up in November and will then be driving to Tassy.
Cheers
AnswerID: 537820

Reply By: Bosun Broome - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 18:18

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 18:18
Good choice,
I bought a crew cab t/d auto in 2012 and have been very happy with the vehicle. I had trouble finding rims to suit offset but finally got onto King rims and fitted Bridgestone 697 which are terrific for offroad.I had traction control fitted and aftermarket cruise control which surprisingly was not available for I Load. I removed the rear bench and have a double mattress in back. If you could find aftermarket seats that fold forward would be great but I think you would have seat belt issues. A 40l Waeco fits nicely between mattress and rear door. A lift up door is essential . I finished off with TV on swivel bkt and a Sirrocco fan .I keep the vehicle in Tassy for when I am down there during wet season. I intend to sell the van probably around Xmas time as I have now retired and have ordered an AOR Quantum Camper so I will be driving my L/C 200 across to Caloundra to pick it up in November and will then be driving to Tassy.
Cheers
AnswerID: 537821

Reply By: Member - Rosss - Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 19:17

Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 19:17
Whatever you do, don't buy a 2.4 petrol auto, I drive one for a living and they are absolutely hopeless on the highway, if you are cruising along at 100 kph and have to slow down to around 80 for traffic they have no acceleration unless you put pedal right to the floor then it throws back 2 gears and revs its head off, if you try to lift the foot a little bit to get the revs to drop it just drops straight back to top gear and goes nowhere again, have spoken to the dealer at service time about this and they agreed the computer mapping for the transmission is not right but Hyundai has not released any updates for them so they can't be adjusted.
AnswerID: 537823

Reply By: Jarse - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 08:54

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 08:54
I spend a fair bit of work time as a passenger in people movers - Tarago, HiAce, Merc, VW and Hyundai.

By far, the ride in the Hyundai is the worst I've ever experienced. The only way I could describe it is like riding on solid rubber tyres. Hit bumps and it's an almost painful, spine-jarring experience.

So if a comfortable ride is what you're after - forget the Hyundai.
AnswerID: 537831

Reply By: Bosun Broome - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:12

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:12
When using as camper you are not travelling in rear as per people mover. My I Load does not compare to my L/C 200 for comfort but is very acceptable and was not a problem when I travelled all the dirt roads on Kangaroo Island. A friend in Tassy bought a VW van prior to seeing my I Load and after checking out my van made the comment he wished he had gone Hyundai.
AnswerID: 537834

Sponsored Links