Down the Lachlan River

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 17, 2014 at 21:51
ThreadID: 109173 Views:1857 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I was thinking about following the Lachlan river possibly from Cowra to Hillston. Looking at a leisurely trip over a couple of weeks.

Has anyone done this if so is it worth doing?

Any information on places to see camping spots etc appreciated.

I have a 4wd and off road camper so am able to get off the main roads and dont need to stay at caravan Parks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John G - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 14:18

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 14:18
G'day bks

I managed to get an article about the Lachlan ("Down The Lachlan") in the current edition of On The Road. We did it without camper, so others will be better placed to comment on camping spots, although we did see some good spots near the river on the road north of the river from Condobolin to Lake Cargelligo. We were disappointed that we didn't get into see Lake Brewster, between Lake Cargelligo and Hillston, but it was bucketing down rain, and we simply missed the turnoff. On a previous trip, we camped at Willandra NP (about 70km north west of Hillston), and if you have the time to get out there, that is really worthwhile.

Is it worth doing? Short answer is 'yes', and two weeks would be ideal.

Have a great trip

John

AnswerID: 537843

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 14:24

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 14:24
And again bks

Thread 105493 covers the responses I got when I was asking about Clancy of the Overflow, and Paterson's line "down the Lachlan where I met him years ago".

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 822093

Follow Up By: Member - Keith P (NSW) - Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 21:35

Monday, Aug 18, 2014 at 21:35
G,Day John,
Saw and read the article in OTR....good read M8.
My Uncle who lives out at Tottenham was really interested in the stories and cuttings you sent me about The Overflow...and is lookin forward to reading your article when I see him again shortly.
It transpires that he and Peter Weston know each other pretty well over the years....and is lookin forward to an explorately drive around there in the not too distant future....so this is all shaping up to be fairly interesting and jogging a few memories too it seems.

Cheers Keith
Nothin is ever the same once I own it ...........

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 822105

Follow Up By: bks - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:48

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:48
John

Just read your article in the On the road magazine. Really enjoyed it. I had not planned to go beyond hilston but you have wet my appetite to go further.

Will report back if I get to Booligal.

Any suggestions on the best time of year to do the trip?
FollowupID: 822155

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 at 12:16

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2014 at 12:16
G'day bks

Thanks.

I'd reckon autumn or spring for traveling out that way.

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 822158

Sponsored Links