The ultimate offroad camper

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 19:47
ThreadID: 10922 Views:3106 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys n girls,

i am very close to purchasing 'the ulimate' offroad camper and i was just wondering if any of you could tell me some disadvantages and some bad points u have heard or experienced with them.

thanx
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:15

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:15
The only thing I can think of is the waiting time, if buying new.

My experience with them build wise has been good. The frame they are built on is real good, the suspension set up is want you want for the harsh conditions and they do not fall apart at the first pot hole. Easy to tow and park. The after sale service is realy good, they treat you like one of the family.

I have taken them away on trips in the past and would take them away in the future.

Having said that I do not own one nor do I intend to buy one. For me I still like to camp out.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48784

Follow Up By: bob_h (Brisbane) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:44

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:44
Does anyone know if you can hire an Ultimate Camper?
FollowupID: 310609

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:00

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:00
Bob ,

Not sure but give them a ring,02 44 729 110.

WayneAlways Out'N About
FollowupID: 310614

Reply By: Brad - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:24

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:24
Had my Ult for 12 months, and am very happy.
Worst point is the price :-))
After that it is really just the pros and cons of how the Ultimate comprimises to try and solve the demands of a campertrailer, eg:
1. Can only fit one big kid or two small kids 'inside'
2. The disadvantages of an inside kitchen
3. The disadvantages of a gas (3 way) fridge
4. Prob difficult to set up singlehanded (I've never tried)
5. Wet canvas - a quick stop in the rain for 2 people would be better in a Tvan.

But we think our Ult is great ! (there are millions of good points).
Regards,
Brad.
AnswerID: 48786

Follow Up By: Alex - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:32

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:32
what are the disadvantages of 3way fridge in the ultimate?
FollowupID: 310606

Follow Up By: Brad - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:39

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:39
I think the 3 way fridge is good ( for my low to medium level trips its great in fact) - but it shares the pros & cons of 3 way fridges in general. Some would prefer an all 12v / deep cycle / solar / generator set-up, which I suspect Ultimate may be reticent to do.
Regards,
Brad.
FollowupID: 310608

Reply By: Graeme - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:57

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:57
I'm also an Ultimate owner who is a happy little camper :}.

Key points for me have been its excellent build quality & off-road performance. Ultimate guaranteed resale value & they are all nice people.

And I'd buy another tomorrow ... T'van & KK's, in my opinion, aren't in the same ballpark.
AnswerID: 48791

Follow Up By: Member - jtb - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:31

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:31
for go anywhere yep the tvan but try and lay down in one good luck rather be fishing
FollowupID: 310645

Reply By: Roachie - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:56

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:56
We got our Ultimate in February 1999 (number 56). It was 6 months old and 1st owner had been around oz during that 6 months then said "bin there, dun that", so sold it. We got it with just about all the accessories available at that time all thrown in for the same price as a "base" model with no accessories.
My only regret (which you won't have to worry about) is that mine has the single, triangular shaped boot lid......I've wrenched my side muscles a few times trying to man-handle full 20 litre gerry cans in and out of the boot because of that. I now don't even try to get them in/out, preferring instead to syphon water out when needed and fill them whilst they are in situ.
Ours didn't have an electric water pump at first (had a "tip-toe" type), but I changed that myself. I've also added small wheels (about 100mm) to the bottom of each leg on the steps, just to prevent them digging in if jockeying the camper is needed and I forget to put the steps up whilst doing it.
We are a family of 5 (3 boys, aged 8,6 & 3). The older 2 sleep quite okay in the tent under the opened-up lid and the 3 y/o shares the king sized bed with us. He will move down there too, once we get him a stretcher and sleeping bag.
We cook & eat outside whenever weather permits, so do not use kitchen much, except for tea making and some food preparation.
I would admit that it is sometimes cramped when the weather turns fowl and at times like that we'd prefer the kids to all POQ.
Overall we're very happy. Our's has been to Cape York in 2002 (going again 9/04), the Top Road, Birdsville Track, Border Track, Gawler Ranges etc. We're still working on doing the Simpson crossing; probably not a good idea on our own; 2 or more vehicles needed.
We tow with a 2000 GU 4.2T/D with front air locker and heaps of other "stuff".
Good luck with your new toy....you're bound to be "happy campers"....
Cheers,
Roachie
AnswerID: 48802

Follow Up By: Peter - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:39

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:39
Like Roachie we bought our Ultimate second hand (no 6) and are very happy with it. There is only the two of us and so no tents for kids etc. We find the internal kitchen good on wet and cold evenings and great for early morning tea but most cooking is done on the camp fire. The Ultimate serice ethic is just exceptional and certainly helps to maintain values. The camper engineering and design are one of a kind. Ours is now 8 years old and you wouldn't tell it from a new one apart from the boot. We don't mind the older style boot lid - it keeps everything in place.

We have taken ours on Victorian High Country trips and the Innamincka Birdsville, Plenty, Ghan track, dalhousie, Oodnadatta trip. We plan to go to lawn Hill this year and like Roachie plan a Simpson trip at some stage. We did it in a tent last year but if any Ultimate owners would like to team up we'd be interested.

We tow with a 2002 GU 3.0TDI (+Dtronic) and you wouldn't know it was following.

Make the most of the Ultimate and be prepared for other campers to come and check it out.

Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 310659

Reply By: Peter - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:48

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:48
Great camper, really well made.

Cons:
You have to remake the bed every time you set it up.
You have to do a lot of fiddling about with brackets and stays etc to set up.
The bench tops are very low
Cooking inside is not what being outdoors is all about.

For these reasons I purchased a Kimberley Kamper
Peter
AnswerID: 48855

Follow Up By: Member - Willie Sydney - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:05

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 12:05
I always felt that the Ultimate looked as though it had a lot of weight on the draw bar . What is the weight figure ?
I bought a Trak Shack after going to about ten 4wd shows and driving all the makers crazy with questions . It is nearly neutral on the draw bar .
I have a 100 too.
Cheers ,
Willie .Wishun I was fishun
FollowupID: 310671

Follow Up By: Graeme - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:23

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:23
An Ultimate unloaded has a 750kg weight - about 1000kgs when we load all our stuff (including 80l of water).

Design is such that 10% of that weight is on the towbar - I can sit the camper on its' end by hand when it is fully loaded (& return it to level).

KK's etc are a different camping experience totally to the Ultimate - not better, not worse - it all depends on what you want; that's why we bought an Ultimate!
FollowupID: 310732

Sponsored Links