ALDI GO-CRUISE GPS

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 21, 2014 at 15:27
ThreadID: 109221 Views:3106 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Well its only been on special @ $59.99 from Aldi for 24 hrs but in that time
I haveaquired, evaluated and returned this 4.3" road navigator.
And that included wasting time on there customer service call line and spending 3 hours at this mornings Vic Exploroz coffee club meeting.

Not that this device is all that bad and in fact features for dollars its pretty good.

This is a road navigator but does have the ability to input a co-ordinate and plot a direct line of sight path with a small compass heading and speed indication on it.
So as a secondary device it could help out in cross country navigation.
Pity it didn't have the ability to use UTM format which is much easier to use in such work.
It also does not have the ability to record you path so that you can back track which I consider another vital feature for any GPS even it the city limits.

I was evaluating this things on road performance and had 3 GPS system running together on the dash.
My still unbeaten 276c , a new high end Garmin Nuvi , and the Aldi Go-Cruise.

With all 3 set to auto navigate to the Coffee Club venue (5km away) at one point they all indicated a different auto-route.
My ancient 276c was the only one that agreed with my long established optimum path.

All of these things seemed to have a different deficiency and one may annoy you more than the other so its worth checking any unit out to see how its fits within your way of doing things.

This GPS for instance is quite good at entering a specific address and leading you there.
If you wish to edit your path or get a good visual on the screen of where your going then forget it.

The high end Nuvi gives you good visuals and a good overview but fails to allow any way to have the small streets you pass named.
At least it has UTM and records your track.

I then tested them all by planning a route from Melbourne to Port Augusta which I will shortly be driving.
2 came up with the best path as straight through Adelaide whilst the Aldi unit came up with the slightly longer but time shorter back path thru Morgan.
Fair enoughbut closer inspection of this revealed that the Adli unit plotted an 1114km path in 9:54 hours.
Interesting - by its own calculation this would require an average speed above the speed limit.

I couldn't find any form in the package to transfer any speeding fines to Aldi so I figured it was time to return it.

As a last effort to hold onto it I rang the help line.
After waiting for about ten minutes, during which time I was repeatedly told to hold for the next available operator an automated message was heard which said - There is no one here to help you (5 times) and then it said sorry and hung up.

I said , I'm sorry to and back it went.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Bazooka - Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 00:01

Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 00:01
Think you'll find if you zoom in closer on the Nuvi you'll get side streets named Robin. Works on my mid-range model.
AnswerID: 538011

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 08:12

Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 08:12
Hi Bazooka , yep they do tend to do that a bit , and you need to set them to max map detail, however in the latest one (our 2597) model they seem to have restricted that feature to below the zoom level.

A couple of streest will be named but not most of them.
By running 2 Nuvis side by side the difference is clear unfortunately You can even tap on any screen feature to get some comment on what it is but this also doesn't do the job.

Will persue Garmin over this as the latest models do have some good other features.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 822284

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 17:29

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 17:29
Only because it's Saturday and I'm waiting for my bread dough to rise. So Bazooka are all the streets you pass called Robin or are there other names? Must be very confusing around your way? LOL

Cheers

Dunc

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 822373

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 23:50

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 23:50
Pay that one Duncan.
FollowupID: 822447

Reply By: Life Member - Terry 80FTE - Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 21:38