Coober Pedy accommodation

Submitted: Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:10
ThreadID: 10923 Views:3237 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This is the continuing saga of where to stay on my up-coming Central Oz trip in June.
Has anyone stayed at Riba's in Coober Pedy? If yes [or no] any comments/suggestions greatly received.

Also - I need to arrange accommodation at the Ayres Rock Camping-ground. I know it's not ideal but travelling with older travellers and it is the better option at this stage. Is it on any website so that I can book it. I have tried several searches - but not much info.

Thank you,
Gary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:23

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:23
Gary,

Stayed in a underground motel in Cooby Pedy. Different.
Ayres Rock, Grass camping area, everthing thing out there is expensive, so take your plastic.

Give the Northern Territory Tourism ago.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48785

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:40

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 20:40
goodday gtee
stayed at ribas acouple of years ago we slept in our van daughter and grankids slept under ground it was different and the mine tour was great .i think web site for nt is www.nttc.com.au

steveheading north 2003 devils marblesin the work car
AnswerID: 48788

Reply By: TravellingVegemite - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:19

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 21:19
I stayed at Ribas in April last year. At first we were disappointed when we found out that it wasn't in the town, but it's not far away (on William Creek Road). 5mins to town.

It was great. Apparently it's the only campground that includes showers at no extra cost, although they are not open during the day (morning and night only).

The mine tour was very good. The atmosphere with all the backpackers was great! There is a camp kitchen, and an underground TV room. The backpackers stayed underground (some in tents), although we stayed outside in our caravan (wouldn't fit underground!!!)

I would definitely recommend it.

Roger
AnswerID: 48794

Follow Up By: lazylcd - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:43

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:43
stayed there 2 years ago, different is the word, didnt use the tent but set it up inside anyhow to dry it out a lil :D mine tour was good, included in the accomidation,its located but 5 mins south of the town, ask them about the backpaker reasturant, they serve the biggest rump steak i have ever seen and is delicious, if ur sleeping underground, and anyone snores as much a i do in yours or anyother group, take some ear plugs, it echos :oD
FollowupID: 310631

Follow Up By: lazylcd - Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:45

Monday, Mar 01, 2004 at 22:45
p.s. its a fantastic spot to look at the stars. your far enough away from the town, its just amazing
FollowupID: 310632

Reply By: kriz - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:00

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 14:00
Hi,
stayed at Riba's two nights ago. Nice & cool - no flies or dust. It's $11 pp staying underground, and they're not busy at the moment. In addition, they offer free showers (rare in C.P.). There's a tour of an abandoned mine on-site; it's $16 pp, and if you opt for that, your camping fee is included.

For Yulara, try Ayer's Rock Resort; http://www.voyages.com.au/destinations/uluru/arr/
We were there 3-4 nights ago. There are plenty of sites to go around. The prices are high, though not as steep as Kings Canyon. Also, petrol at the resort is cheaper than at Kings Canyon who charges a whopping 127.9/L for unleaded.

Have fun & enjoy the heat.
Kris
AnswerID: 49122

Sponsored Links