Trip to the Cape on a Budget

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 18:19
ThreadID: 109244 Views:2229 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking of doing a trip to the cape using my 2001 Landcruiser 100 series, petrol 4.5lt Would be interested in off road equipment advisable and required. The old girl still runs well and is regularly serviced. Unleaded fuel range on highway is about 750ks. Would I need to carry extra fuel or is unleaded regularly available up there. I have good aftermarket heavy duty suspension.snorkel, alloy bullbar and driving lights already fitted and would fit new quality A/T tyres before going. I'm thinking of using my swag to sleep in. My son who is coming with me is keen to do the old road up so will my relatively standard Landcruiser do the trick. What are the roads and river crossings generally like ? Any feedback appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 21:30

Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 21:30
Just use "Cape York" in the Forum search term and you will find a multitude of responses.
AnswerID: 538052

Reply By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 21:36

Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 21:36
What time of the year are you travelling? July / Aug is about the best weather for the trip, but everybody else is also there at that time. We did the OTL with an Aussie off road camper in 2007, with no worries. With your setup you shouldn't have any problem, just take your time and drive within your capabilities. You don't have to do the hard parts, there are little bypasses, but have a look first before you decide, and there will be plenty of people around if you have any problems. Don't camp to close to the river banks.
Enjoy your trip
AnswerID: 538053

Reply By: bockstar1 - Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 21:39

Friday, Aug 22, 2014 at 21:39
Yes, I believe your car should do it, provided you drive the correct lines in the creek crossings.

You should take a second spare and consider Muds over the ATs.

You should also consider recovery equipment in the form of a fitted winch and/or multiple snatch straps, maxtrax etc.

In terms of fuel, you'll be right. We just did it in my Petrol 80 series towing a C/T. Provided you plan your fuel stops you'll be okay. Sticking the main road and even the OTT, there isn't huge distances between fuel stops. It's obviously gets more expensive the further north you get.

We did; Cairns, Lions Den, Lakefield, Archer River, Chilli Beach, OTT, Punsand Bay, Virilya Point, Musgrave then back to Cairns. We're from Sydney and made it to Cairns in 3 days.

It's a great trip, you'll love it.
AnswerID: 538055

Follow Up By: zappa - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 17:37

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 17:37
Generally how deep are the creek crossings?
FollowupID: 822374

Reply By: gbc - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 06:30

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 06:30
There's not many (any?) places in this country a 1fzfe landcruiser hasn't been. Apart from trying to swim it through nolans you'll be fine. If you really need to do nolans it can be done too, but there's really no need.
Remember if you are stuck or have to effect a recovery or tow, it is best advised to go out of your way to use a forward gear rather than reverse in your particular model with the high pinion front diff. Again, it can be done if need be, they aren't completely useless going backwards, just if pushed they will strip teeth under load.
I had that engine in 2 80 series and one 100 series and rate it highly, as I do the cars. The manual 80 is still in the family and kicking goals. Nearly 500 Kms on her now, and it only gets used for 4wd touring these days.
AnswerID: 538061

Reply By: Tony F8 - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 07:01

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 07:01
Your rig will be absoulutely fine to do the Cape, AT's will do what you need, fuel distance is not a problem, a standard recovery kit will suffice, a winch would be handy depending on where you intend to go, but not necessary. I have taken many people up there in their daily drive 4by's and not had any dramas. Most of the creeks along the OTT are great spots to camp and have a swim in, depending on the extent of adventure you want, you can do the Tele track through to Nolans or take the jump road just after Sam Creek to the Northern bypass, if travelling with another vehicle, I would certainly have a look at Mistake Creek to Nolans, but if you are not confident, take the jumper and come back in to the northern side of Nolan's, nice place to camp and some of the best visual entertainment on the Cape watching people doing the crossing , 3 in 4 hours came to grief when we were there last year.
Take it steady, don't over extend yourself and you will have a great time, just a quick tip, if you intend doing Palm and Cockatoo creeks, try to be the 2nd or 3rd to cross first up in the morning, after that they become very chopped up and sloppy.
Cheers.
TonyF8.
AnswerID: 538063

Follow Up By: zappa - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 07:21

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 07:21
Hi Tony, Mate generally ,how deep are the creek crossings. Even though I have a snorkel, I 'm thinking electricals on my Cruiser.
FollowupID: 822400

Reply By: Rolo - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 08:06

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 08:06
I have just finished doing a 5 week trip through Queensland using A/Ts on my 100 series cruiser. No problems with the tyres even though we had a full load. Fuel consumption went up when on dirt by about 6% and I drive a diesel. I am not an expert but have listened to and read a lot about tyre pressures for off road both for full on 4wd and dirt road driving. Once you hit dirt you can drop the tyre pressures to 75% of recommended pressure which gives you better traction and a more comfortable ride. Best advice I have seen on this thread is to take 2 spare wheels. Also check how you will jack up your vehicle with a full load. Fortunately for me I had an exhaust jack which lifted the vehicle up enough to get the bottle jack under the rear axle. As most said - just take it easy and don't push it. Good luck. Would like to know how you go.
AnswerID: 538064

Reply By: zappa - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 17:35

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 17:35
Thanks to all who replied . Valuable info, sensable comments. I'll let you know if it comes off and how it goes. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 538090

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 07:42

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 07:42
Zappa, If you want to get a feel and a what to expect of what the cape, try www.youtube. There is plenty of video's of people doing the trip with plenty of 4wding tracks and river crossing footage.

The best thing to do is be prepared.
AnswerID: 538105

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 07:43

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 07:43
Please excuse my comprehension, just woke up.
FollowupID: 822402

Reply By: Tony F8 - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 08:01

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 08:01
When are you thinking of going up there, water heights vary greatly. My prefered time up there is early May, less traffic and many of the tracks aren't chopped up by bogun drivers and the inexpirienced, but you can run the risk of experiencing some fairly deep water, depending on the prior wet.
A snorkel is a good investment, not only for water crossing, but also a bit cleaner air due to the intake height on dusty tracks.
Yours being a petrol will ingest some water without damage, a good spray of inox or similar over your electrics regularly should see them safe from water, if you keep moving through creeks, everything gets flooded if you stop.
Have had plenty of experiences from the mid 80's and never tire going up there, but one thing remains constant about the Cape, is it can change from week to week.
Nowadays there is generally always someone on the other side of the creeks more than willing to give you a hand.
Be prepared and take it easy.
Cheers.
TonyF8.
AnswerID: 538107

Reply By: Member - Trevor - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 21:51

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 21:51
Just return tonight from the Cape. This was our second trip.
Want my advice? Fly there and back!
There are more interesting things you can do with your car, money and time.
Cheers, Trev
AnswerID: 538136

Follow Up By: Batt's - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 17:46

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 17:46
So why did it take you 2 trips to figure that out.
FollowupID: 822577

Sponsored Links