Another One Bites the Dust

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 09:52
ThreadID: 109253 Views:3596 Replies:5 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
I don't like caravan parks, but I much prefer them to bleep resorts.

Is there no process to retain simple, affordable accommodation in the natural unspoiled beauty of our coastal areas?

God save us from bleep developers.

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:08

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:08
Developers only do what the planning law allows and what the market place will buy , it is not their fault
AnswerID: 538072

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 12:38

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 12:38
Yes, I understand that, Alby.

Development and developers in NSW are on the nose at the moment. I'm not saying there is anything on the nose about this particular project, but within the general population there is certainly a lack of trust in the NSW system. I just wonder if anyone is effectively overseeing the cumulative effects of these changes, especially when approvals, each possibly ok in it own right, come from different local governments.

To me it seems like the death of something I love by a thousand razor cuts and there's nothing I or like-minded people can do to stop it.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 822350

Follow Up By: disco driver - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 19:54

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 19:54
Yes Frank,
There is something you could do.
Buy a suitable block of land in a popular area, get all the applicable permits and approvals and build what you want for yourself and any others who want basic facilities and see how long it takes to recoup your investment.

That's the problem with caravan parks, even Shire ones, they have to pay their way, hence the fees they have to charge the travelling caravan owning public.

Cheers

Disco.
FollowupID: 822587

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 21:48

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 21:48
Disco,

I think you've missed my point.

It's not the fees I'm objecting to here in the first place, it's the development, one might say over-development, of simple little parks which fit easily into their surroundings into garish mega-dollar money spinners.

Then, after the development, come the fees to pay for the monstrosity. That won't affect me because I won't be using the new "facility". But I decry the loss of simplicity, the loss of an opportunity for families to take a simple, cheap, back-to-nature seaside holiday just to give some bloke who has lots of money the chance to make more.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 822593

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 22:53

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 22:53
So in fact you are criticising them for trying to create a successful business. You would obviously prefer them to keep things simple so that free campers can call in once a week or so to do their washing!
These parks have huge overheads now & have to make changes to remain solvent, look at your own council rates, utility bills & insurances & you will see why.
FollowupID: 822596

Reply By: racinrob - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:17

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:17
Love the hype, makes me feel like applying for the position myself...not.

The problem nowadays for gray nomads who only want a shower, toilet and possibly power is that they must also pay for a pool, camp kitchen, games room, play ground and so on as more caravan parks upgrade and raise their rates with over $50 a night becoming more and more common.

Rob
AnswerID: 538073

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:17

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:17
No one wants to pay big money to stay at these places but you have to be realistic about it and what it costs to run a park

In this case they are offering 130k a year for a manager which must be the going rate I assume for a suitable candidate, add to this the interest on the loan for the initial park purchase price which would be a substantial amount in a majority of places, add your council rates and other utility costs, land tax, insurance, public liability, maintenance blah blah blah BEFORE YOU EVEN LOOK AT MAKING A PROFITand it becomes apparent very quickly that they need to charge what they do.

We rarely stay at these places and don't like paying what we do for a patch of unpowered dirt to put our swag on and use their bathroom but I understand thgeir position and no one is making me stay there.

At the end of the day, market forces dictate what things cost.
FollowupID: 822341

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:56

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:56
And also 'at the end of the day' it is their park, their business, they put the investment and hard work into it. Now they can do whatever they want with it. If a van park in that location is so good and so popular, go start one up yourself.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 822346

Reply By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:45

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:45
Enjoy it while we can. At the end of the day the mighty dollar will prevail.

As the Australia we grew up transitions from a first world to maybe second or third world nation (the mining boom will end) because we have exported every manufacturing industry we could flog off cheap, the only industry we will have left is tourism.
Oh, hang that is well and truly on the way out. Try finding an Aussie behind the counter of most of our tourism based ventures. It becomes a game of "pick the accent". Probably handy as 3/4 of the paying customers are from overseas.
Watch the Maui, Apollo, Britz camper vans, motor homes and tour busses pull into the CP, or local photo opportunity, and disgorge the couples or families and listen to the languages being spoken if the obvious physical characteristics don't give you a clue.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 538075

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 13:55

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 13:55
Hi Pop,

I can relate to your comments.
On our trip to the Kimberley not so long ago, I had planned to stay overnight at Daly Waters caravan park and spend a couple of hours at the pub, enjoying a bit of conviviality.

We walked into the bar, only to find a distinct lack of "outback atmosphere". The bar was manned by a couple of backpackers and although I have nothing personal against these young folk, they do not conjure up my idea of outback hospitality and humor.

When I was last there, some 15 years ago, the place was abuzz with good Aussie humour in everything from the visual to the dry comments by the wisened bartender.
No more. The place has as much personality as a roadside fuel station, (which by the way are also largely staffed by European sounding backpackers). Wouldn't bother to call in again.

As there was still plenty of daylight left, we and our friends traveling in convoy with us, decided to keep driving to a better location, so Daly Waters missed out on some cash flow from us.

Maybe the Owner was on annual leave, or just maybe the owners are now foreigners themselves and places like this are fast losing their "Aussie icon" status.

Luckily for us, other places we visited on our 10,500k journey still have that Australian outback spirit, but I agree with what you are saying Pop.

Actually, our next visit to the Kimberley area will probably be a fly-in, hire a Britz, and fly out again venture. Love the area and want to go back again, but overall wear & tear on our vehicle and camper, coupled with the extended drive from Adelaide will be taken into consideration when planning a future trip.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 822361

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 17:27

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 17:27
G'day Bill,

We were in the Daly Waters pub about 2 weeks ago. First time we had actually called in as you know it's a few k's off the highway. Loved all the odds and ends on the walls and hanging from the rafters. A bunch of youngsters sitting around a table talking in their own European language. No worries. Then the tour coach driver stuck head in the door and basically ordered them all back on the bus while he pointed to his watch. The two young girls serving behind the bar while having pretty thick accents were at least easy on the eye. I felt a bit out of place.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 822372

Follow Up By: Steve - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:04

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:04
"sophisticated, multi-cultural Australia" ? lol - welcome to the global reality. On the one hand our media bombard us with how incredibly lucky we are to enjoy the cultural mix and on the other hand we get the complaints. Is there anywhere outside remote Asia and Africa that isn't "multicultural" and hasn't been for 40+ years or more, depending upon your definition? You can go to Doncaster, Dortmund or Dijon and you will find you will be served by somebody of migrant background. Seems we're still getting used to it.
FollowupID: 822379

Follow Up By: 671 - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:41

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:41
While on the subject of foreigners in this country: I have a friend with a Swedish girl friend. He went back to Sweden with her for a short holiday and was out driving one day in a remote rural area. They stopped at a little pub and, seeing he had picked up a few words of the local language, he decided to try his hand at ordering a couple of drinks. The bar tender listened to him trying to order in his best Swedish then replied in Aussie accent English " You want a couple of beers do you mate?"

Those flamen foreigners are everywhere these days..
FollowupID: 822383

Follow Up By: mike39 - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 08:01

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 08:01
We also do a fair bit of bush travel and I very often find a bit of a thurst coming on every time we spot a bush pub.

Yep, and lo and behold, a very easy on the eye backpacker type European blonde serving the beverages.

And that to me is quite ok, but Heaven Forbid, why on Earth aren't they taught how to PULL A BEER before they are turned loose?

I spose it helps stop me having one too many!!
mike
FollowupID: 822403

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 09:29

Sunday, Aug 24, 2014 at 09:29
Mike,

Most Bush Pubs only sell beer by the can or bottle.
No need to know how to pull a beer:-)

I have nothing against backpackers and the jobs they secure while working their way around Australia.
What I do miss though is the very unique "dry" humour from a bloke or girl that is "homegrown".
Can you imagine the Prairie, William Creek, or Mungerannie Hotels without their unique Aussie proprietor characters. And that is only in South Australia.

New Zealand is no different either. I ventured into the Puhoi pub, some 50k's north of Auckland some years ago and was greeted by some good old Kiwi humour which is very similar to ours.
After ducking under the entrance door and approaching the bar, I said to the barman, "G'day mate". He looked at me and said, "If I were you I would keep the fact that you are Australian very quite".
He then shouted to the whole bar, "HEY EVERYBODY, WE HAVE AUSTRALIANS PRESENT", then gave a big grin and asked us what we would like to drink.
We spent a couple of great convivial hours there and it's just one of those experiences you remember and treasure.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 822410

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 16:59

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 16:59
if a bars not staffed by backpackers im astonished.
im a bit of a connisoir. ill often pull in to rate the talent of the overseas lass. im rarely disappointed
FollowupID: 822574

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 18:04

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2014 at 18:04
or easily pleased !
FollowupID: 822578

Reply By: mikehzz - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:02

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:02
I thought I might translate part of that..

This all-encompassing role (manager does everything including cleaning the toilets) demands a person with energy (you work 24/7), vision (you have to be able to see), commercial acumen (you can operate a till), sales and marketing flare (you are an accomplished bull****ter), and sound management experience (you can operate the park PA system).

I reckon if your reputation precedes you in those things then it's an easy $130K.
AnswerID: 538078

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:17

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:17
LOL Mike. That is almost certainly the realism.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 822342

Follow Up By: SDG - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:43

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 11:43
Would drive me nuts.
I like to be able to go away myself sometimes, while I still can, and working/living in a place like this I would not really want to holiday in a similar place.
FollowupID: 822345

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 13:36

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 13:36
If this guy/gal does get some time off maybe they would like to go overseas and have someone else at their beck and call.

Or maybe go free camping (;-))

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 822356

Follow Up By: snow - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 16:13

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 16:13
Yes I'm afraid that $130K would not be enough to entice me to that position.
FollowupID: 822468

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 15:48

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 15:48
Not all is lost. There are 3 others there. It's also not the one at the entrance. It's the Big4 one up the other end of town.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 538085

Follow Up By: Jarse - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:20

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:20
I stopped going to Lakeside about 10 years ago, when they turned it into a cabin city and corralled all the camp sites in the middle. Of course, the site prices went up (coincidentally), and you still had to pay for your showers :D
It's a free market economy, so I exercise that that right (as do they) We don't need a water park (the lake's great). We don't play 'whack-f*ck !!' (Golf), so don't need a golf course.
The market they're aiming for has changed. Our needs have not.
$130k? Good luck filling the position :D
FollowupID: 822449

Follow Up By: Jarse - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:22

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 06:22
I meant to ask - have you stayed at the park at the lake entrance, Peter? Was thinking of trying it in November. Not that I use parks much these days :)
FollowupID: 822450

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 09:30

Monday, Aug 25, 2014 at 09:30
Not for 15 or so years. It is one of the Shoalhaven Council's Holliday Haven parks. I have stayed at some of them since and found them good parks.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 822457

Sponsored Links