Clem Walton Park/Corella Dam Qld What's the road in like?

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 18:06
ThreadID: 109256 Views:2163 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We are traveling that way from Mt Isa Monday or Tuesday and want to know if any one can tell me if the road is O.K for a large rig, Mercedes Benz midi bus and trailer.
16 metres in length and not very high clearance. Any other Info as well would be great. Thanks in advance. Vanna
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - BUSH CAMPER - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 18:45

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 18:45
We were at Corella dam last year, the road is a little up and down, but by memory the bus should be ok, If in doubt, drive you smaller vehical in and check it out, it's only about a 5 minute drive.
It was a nice spot last year, water was a little low.
AnswerID: 538092

Follow Up By: Member - Vanna Jim and Pups - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:42

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:42
Thanks Bush Camper, might have to do that. Cheers.
FollowupID: 822384

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 21:07

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 21:07
The turnoff to Clem Walton isn't suitable to turn a 'van or a rig like yours around(if you decided not to take the rig in there), but about 4-500 metres towards Mt Isa, there is ample room to turn your vehicle around, on south side of the highway. You could safely leave it here, while you did a quick recce, in the little one.

There is a road that heads off from this spot too, that I believe heads down to the lake. Water trucks were using it earlier in the year, when they were carting water for the access road to a mine, not far from Fountain Springs parking bay.

Can endorse what Slow said about the late Mary K township. Bitumen roads, plenty of ghost gums and there are also the odd cement slabs still there, that would make for a very neat camp. I went in there in a Falcon sedan, so road wouldn't worry you.

Fountain Springs is very popular, and if you're missing the closeness of suburbia, then you can get a fix here quite easily. :-)

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 822388

Reply By: Slow one - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 19:53

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 19:53
You won't have any problem getting in there, but be warned it is drizabone at this time.

The old township of Mary Kathleen might suit you better, but the bitumen road in is a little rough. Many big rigs go in and stop for awhile. The old town site has bitumen roads and curbs.

You can go out to the old workings in your small vehicle. Where you turn into the old the old townsite, keep going out until you see a piece of poly pipe with an arrow on it, that is where you turn to the old workings.

There was a fence erected to keep people away from the open pit but that somehow fell down and stacked itself to one side.
AnswerID: 538094

Follow Up By: Member - Vanna Jim and Pups - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:53

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 20:53
Cheers, Slow one,
heard that there were a few red claw to be had, not sure how long ago that was when they were there, no good if is it drizabone!
Had not contemplated Mary Kathleen but might be nice to have a look, sounds interesting!
Thanks heaps
FollowupID: 822387

Reply By: Member - john y - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 21:18

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 21:18
Road into corella/clem Walton is a good unmade road. Be aware when you get to the entrance gate it may appear that the gate is chained and locked but you will find it is only wound around the gate. corella dam is off to the right. the track into clem Walton continues straight ahead. you may have to pass through a gate. the track narrows and has a few blind corners but once in there is plenty of room to manoeuvre. if you are travelling with a pet be on the lookout for feral animal baiting warning signs.

there was water in the dam when we were there about 18 months ago all in all a lovely alternative to stopping in mt isa regardsjohn y
AnswerID: 538097

Follow Up By: Member - john y - Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 21:25

Saturday, Aug 23, 2014 at 21:25
PS meant to add that I don't believe that the road into mary Kathleen was much good at all.narrow in spots and quite degraded in spots. Also there may be height issues where you have to cross old water courses
FollowupID: 822389

Sponsored Links