General Question.

Just a general question regarding GPS's. ( save me scrolling through the archives ) Whats everybody got and are you happy with it ?. My story I have a hema 5 and its been great but the lady who lives inside has either died or doesn't luv me anymore cause i'm getting the silent treatment, and the camera alarm is like a teenager only works sometimes and when it feels like it. No matter how many times i tell it no, it continues to show me all points of interest along the route, but worst it tells me it is loading the tracks but it goes to sleep laughing, (dumb Human). leaving me with only city roads. ( route 66 )
Now I have 2 options give it to my 4 year old grandson to reprogram OR get something else. I prefer maps BUT my wife is female and halfway along the GCR I will be looking for phone coverage to call a good divorce lawyer, and besides it is not in my interest to wake her up to ask where are we.
Do I get the new Hema 7 or maybe rip out max's stereo and fit a VMS or maybe there is something better, what do you reckon ?

Cheers Warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 07:40

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 07:40
Warren,

I think you are using the Hema for everything other than what its prime purpose is.

Firstly, there is no "lady living inside" when using OziExplorer for off road use.
Ozi is a moving map display of where you are at any given point of time, displayed on selected map.

Route 66 is a voice guided navigation application, primarily for city and built-up areas, although can be useful for major country towns. The "lady who lives inside" can be very helpful in city navigation uses, but may be less helpful for little country towns, depending on the update level of the iGo street maps at the time.

The Hema 5 is a little dated now and an upgrade to a 6" or 7" model will give more features, but generally utilise the same maps. The Hema 6/7 comes with the full set of Hema Australia maps, plus some good regional maps of our Country for certain areas such as the desert maps, Kimberley map, etc.
The Hema is still (IMO) the best for off road use (OziExplorer) to indicate where you are a any moment, with the ability to same your track data and waypoints along the route taken.

iGo is a pretty ordinary street navigation application for the Hema and as it can't run at the same time as OziExplorer, is all but useless to me.

I use a separate device for street use, but also run it when touring as I find it useful for country towns and other points of interest. My 4 year old TomTom has recently been upgraded to a Garmin unit, but interestingly, Karen (the lady who lives inside) has moved from the TomTom to the Garmin device, in the Australian Garmin models.
I have also purchased the OZTopo offroad software to run on this device and will create a blog on how useful I find it, although again, the City navigation app must be disabled to run OzTopo, so it could be interesting to compare its real usefulness.

As to your last question, replacing a portable device with something like a VMS unit will give you a larger, built-in navigation device, but will provide no real gain over a portable unit for navigation purposes. Maybe it will give more functionality for all those other bling things that come with both the Hema and the VMS units, such as reversing camera display and hands free phone use, but I use mine purely for the primary purpose of Navigation and have separate devices for reversing camera (built in to the reversing mirror) and Hands free phone operation though an OEM feature of my vehicle.
Oh, and for the rare occasion I need an alarm clock, the one contained in my iPhone, suits me better.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 538289

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 09:51

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 09:51
Hey Bill, I don't think this bloke is talking about Ozi.

Just the street navigation. Hence the voice directions etc that he mentioned. Is there a system reset etc for his street navigation. I don't know what would be in the Hema 5 that he uses. Is it Route 66 or the like. I have never heard of it.
FollowupID: 822714

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:03

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:03
..Yes Hema went from Route 66 to iGo at some stage of the game (maybe with change from HN5 to HN6).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 822717

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:18

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:18
That's the one Greg. Our box has iGo for street navigation. Maybe it has a reset to default function to calm that little lady down. I rarely use it so I can't help.
FollowupID: 822718

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:27

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:27
Yeah - reset is always an option if gadget is misbehaving mysteriously, but I have no idea what the problem is with the OP's unit. Road network and red light database etc is probably out of date anyway (and no more updates supported I believe?) ..so good excuse to move on even if it started working properly (unless just using Ozi).

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 822719

Follow Up By: Freshstart - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:41

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:41
I wouldn't the old one out straight away. We have an old (very old) tomtom that my wife won and we never used. I charged it's battery, plugged it into one of the many cigarette lighter sockets that I installed and stuck it on the passengers window for the grand daughter to play with on a recent trip down the Canning and home. I was out of date but that doesn't matter it would do her for on road navigation without updating as a starter. The files are never 100% accurate anyway. But with a little "road awareness" they will get you there.

Maybe the Ops files are corrupted and could do with a refresh as well. Plus an update. Hard to say from afar. I would try the reset first.

I just found references to some hardware and application resets: Hema navigator resets
FollowupID: 822721

Reply By: Freshstart - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:15

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 10:15
FYI: Our two sons and ourselves use a double din VMS box installed in the dash of our cars and running the standard street navigation that comes with the box and WindowsCE version of Oziexplorer for off road navigation. Personally we rarely use the street navigation. The radio is on the weak side but we have plug ins with enough background music to fill a few days, or we play DVDs/CDs

Just a small point on terminilogy. Forgive me if you already know this. Okay!!

GPS is short for Global Positioning System, and it is quickly becoming an integrative part of our society. It is a worldwide radio-navigation system formed from a constellation of 24 satellites and their ground stations.

A better term for the boxes or application would be satnav.
AnswerID: 538306

Reply By: Warren B - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 17:28

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 17:28
Thanks for replying guys here goes,
Oziexplorer doesn't work, gets as far as loading maps then that's it no further.
Route 66 (street / city ) no voice.
Red light / speed Camera alarm yes is probably out of date now but I use it in the truck weekdays, ( been handy and saved me a few bucks ) but now only works sometimes.
my computer is windows 8 and Hema 5 only talks to windows 7.
You are probably right update to latest hema, Hema 5 has been good and we have used it in the outback a lot. I know where i'm going but its nice to know whats around me.
Cheers Warren
AnswerID: 538338

Follow Up By: Navara Navvy - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 10:42

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 10:42
Probably a bit of a curve ball to this thread but one option is to load up Sygic on your android phone and use that. It runs when out of range and means you only have one unit in the car to consider. Great for around town with redlight cameras etc and shows all the tracks (I have just used mine to navigate the Savannah Way with a few side trips....worked fine). Just a suggestion. The lady inside keeps going no matter where you are !!!!!
FollowupID: 822796

Sponsored Links