School me on 1HZ Landcruiser Troopys

Submitted: Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:12
ThreadID: 109317 Views:4102 Replies:6 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
So a certain auction place has a whole bunch of 2003 model ex-SES troopys up for auction soon...all appear in great nick with under 100,000klm the lot of them. Service history too.

From what I have read online from owner experiences, the 1HZ is a tough unit, but couldn't run out of sight on a dark night in a large vehicle like a troopy.

How well do they tow? I'm tipping with the power and torque levels available, it would struggle on hills.

Is the later coil-sprung front end that much of a big deal over the leaf sprung front? How about long distance driving, did you swap out the factory seats for aftermarket ones?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - KBAD - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:40

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:40
1HZ is lacking in power if that is important to you that is to keep up with the traffic flow and so on then budget for an upgrade such as a motor rebuild and turbo or change of motor. Had a 1HZ with aftermarket turbo in my wagon and had a piston crack at 300,000 turbo had been installed at 150,000. I believe if the motor had been rebuilt with turbo ready pistons different big ends would have been fine although IMO as with all aftermarket turbo installs heat can be an issue.
I reckon the coils in the front would be a big improvement. Know a guy with a 1HDFTE in a troppy he tows a large van with a chip in the engine and handles it all very nicely, and he is loaded to the nines.
As i said budget for an improvement allow for some of that in the price and you will have a capable vehicle, wouldn't worry about the aftermarket seats send the originals or try and exchange them with Chris at Trimcare in Perth for one of his upgrades (high density foam and pump up lumbar supports) and you will be very happy, at a fraction of the cost. Not affiliated just a happy customer.
AnswerID: 538312

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:02

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:02
Remember they have a high C of G and roll to easily Road Warrior.

Very poor articulation as standard also. Coil spring ones do handle better.

We have had a few though our groups , and at least one was got rid of because of back troubles from seats/hard suspension.

But like my tractor , you can leave'm in a paddock for years and count on them to go when needed.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 538313

Follow Up By: Road Warrior - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 13:00

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 13:00
I'd thought about the CofG issue as well. Plus with little kids getting them in and out of the back would be a pain.

FollowupID: 822723

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 14:34

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 14:34
sounds like a much perpatrated myth to me they may or may not roll easier than some - but they definitlely dont roll easily
as for the seats - thats a personal thing but ive never had an issue
FollowupID: 822725

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 14:36

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 14:36
FollowupID: 822726

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:31

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:31
The only driveline weakness with Cruisers of that vintage and fitted with the venerable 1HZ engine was the R150 gearbox. The factory turbo diesel and the petrol (if you could find one) were fitted with a much stronger H150 gearbox. Some seemed to hang on OK unless a turbo was fitted and the extra power used often. Others let go prematurely.
Other than that and the lack of grunt from the standard 1HZ, a good honest vehicle.
Some say fitting a turbo causes no dramas. Personally I wouldn't.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 538316

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 13:31

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 13:31
I have owned three Troopies over the years and if I was still on my own I would have another. You will not be dissapointed. Even considered buying a new one as recently as three months ago.
FollowupID: 822724

Reply By: Gnomey - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 14:00

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 14:00
FWIW I've owned a 1HZ troopy camper for 4 years and for my purposes and budget it does the job just fine. If I knew more about your intended usage I might be able to comment more on its capability as a 4WD but for what I need it's more than adequate.

If I wanted to tow a van I would probably look elsewhere.

To corroborate what Pop said about the standard gearbox (actually the R151) mine now sports an H150 box and transfer case. Turbo? Not for me either. Don't believe the gods favour those who assume greater wisdom than the design engineers who produced the 1HDT and FE after the 1HZ.

Mine is a 2002 model and it has the coil sprung front end so you should be ok on that score if the ex SES ones are 2003.

Seats. I mostly travel alone. I got some foam cut to the driver's seat shape, added a strap on lumbar support (easy folks) and a cheapy sheepy seatcover. Good enough for me and I often do 500-600km hauls in a day.

I might have a different perspective if the troopy was my daily drive, but as my trip vehicle I actually quite enjoy the "different zen" of slow but sure, especially when I get past the travel section to the main game.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 538321

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 15:07

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 15:07
Own a 2000 model Troopy and as with any vehicle they all have issues of some sought. I dont think Troopys are any different. I have not had any troubles with gearboxes or overheating or "invented problems of Rollovers". It's a load of rubbish, yes their centre gravity seems high but not much different to a 80 or 100 series. Yes the seats are not the best on the market and the suspension is a bit harsh. But remember you are buying a "Truck"/commercial vehicle not a pussy Patrol or 200 series that drive just like cars. I dont have a turbo but did install Extractors 3inch exhaust and a thru-flo muffler and that did make a big difference.......Buy it you wont be sorry.

jeff
AnswerID: 538325

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 20:04

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 20:04
"invented problems of Rollovers"
Nothing invented about Troopy rollovers. When I was chasing a 2nd hand one a few years back, 1/3 of the one's I looked had been on their side & repaired. Mansfield 4x4 hire had 3 roll on just one weekend & stopped hiring them for that very reason. On Fraser Island laws were changed due to the number of crash's, many Troopy's.
"Italian Concetta Dell'Angelo, 26, and Ian Davy, 22, from the UK died after being thrown from a Toyota troop carrier when it rolled three times on the World Heritage listed island in April.
The nine other backpackers in the car were also hurt when the driver swerved to avoid a wave, with two receiving spinal injuries.
The speed limit on the island was dropped to 80km/h following the crash"
After I bought mine I found it to be the most unstable 4x4 I've owned both on & off road. It was always lifting a wheel & restricted where I could go compared to an 80 series for example.
That said they're a great reliable bus. The 1HZ is fine & there is little else on the market that will do what the Troopy can.
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 822743

Follow Up By: rumpig - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 09:47

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 09:47
hey Crackles.....do you think the fact they used to load the roof racks a metre high with enough camping gear for 11 backpackers and have someone driving the vehicle with pretty much no experience in 4wding, might have had something to do with those vehicles rolling over on Fraser, and that's why they've changed the rules on the island now?
not saying Troopies don't have a high centre of gravity to start with, but you might want to state all the facts of why these vehicles rolled regularly on Fraser rather then just blame the vehicle itself for the crashes there.
FollowupID: 822784

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 10:12

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 10:12
You're correct many were definitely overloaded.
Doesn't change the fact the Troopy is one of the most unstable 4x4's on the market not only because of their high centre of gravity but their relatively narrow wheel track & poor road holding which I'd say were all contributing factors to the rollovers.
Craig.....
FollowupID: 822789

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 18:46

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 18:46
And dont forget to add inexperienced overseas packpacking drivers being the major factor
FollowupID: 822826

Reply By: Road Warrior - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 15:55

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 15:55
Hmm now they've pulled the lot of them from their website. Oh well. Thanks all for the input.
AnswerID: 538329

Sponsored Links