filters

Submitted: Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 19:40
ThreadID: 109326 Views:2125 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
was at knox ford in lilydale today having a fuel manager filter put on,they had a ranger in there that copped a bad load of fuel,sorry do not know where,the bill was 12,500 dollars for repairs,the service manager told me,this ranger is now having a filter put on,would have been a lot cheaper in the first place,bye barry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 20:11

Friday, Aug 29, 2014 at 20:11
Barry
Is your filter about 10micron or even down to 5micron? Some are far bigger and don't do much in such circumstances.

A big size micron filter is the same as not having one at all, except for straining blowflies out of the fuel.

The OE filter should have at least warned of the water or contaminants and the filter should have stopped contaminants getting through, providing the filter wasn't already compromised by not being changed often enough. Servicing is important.

Have a look at this previous case and the way that dealer handled the repair. Easily and freely available with a search.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/nsw/NSWCTTT/2010/466.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=nissan

It will educate you as to what some dealers do ie, never did the filter or cleaned out the tank.
AnswerID: 538351

Reply By: Member - meatman61 - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:05

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:05
With Common Rail Diesels in particular, a water trap/filter, before the OME filter is a very good idea. I , at 106k, had a failure on my GU. Over 6k to replace 3 injectors, fuel pump, and some other bits inside the rail. Only 2 places in Adelaide that then, had the expertise to do this. They said, it is water that is the main problem. Simple fix, they put a Staindyne (may be spelt wrong) water seperator filter ,before OME filter. Not any filter will do though,they need to be very high flow rate, each motor is diffferent. Mine is 2 micron. For $176,(whole unit including filter) a cheap way to help keep fuel clean in the system. Have fitted one to our Prado also.
AnswerID: 538432

Sponsored Links