Places download

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 16:30
ThreadID: 109339 Views:1560 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
The FAQ on the Places tab says
"Members can download the GPS positions for all these campsites (and any place in the entire Places database) directly off the website at any time, which you would then load to your navigation device."
But it does not say how and it does seem obvious. Anyone know how?
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 18:36

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 18:36
Chris, simply open the 'place' you want and then select the large blue button with "Download" written on it. You will be prompted to choose one of the six formats from GPS to CSV and Ozi etc etc. Select the appropriate format for your needs and continue with the download and hey presto...it happens. You will be prompted to 'open' or 'save' your downloaded file.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 538405

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 23:03

Saturday, Aug 30, 2014 at 23:03
Thanks Mick. That means you must know the places while you are in mobile range. I thought you might be able to download all the place names for when you have no phone coverage.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 822846

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 10:06

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 10:06
Hi Chris, I might be a bit confused here as I don't use any of the EO track me stuff on my phone etc. I usually download the stuff to my computer before leaving. I don't integrate it into any of my maps, it's purely for reference material. I'm sure you'd be able to do something but I'd reckon you'd need to be specific as to a route and what's along it.

I'll flick it across to the Explorer, he's pretty handy with these gizmos.

Cheers Mick.
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 822862

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:54

Sunday, Aug 31, 2014 at 11:54
Sorry Mick, I get frustrated when others do not explain themselves properly and I am guilty myself.
Under the "Places" tab there is a listing of "Camps & Accom". What I wanted to do was download the entire file (currently 6197 entries) to my computer so that no matter where I went I would have a great reference for camp spots, I suppose you could call it a substitute for the Camps 7 book only more up to date. It appears you can only download places you nominate not the entire list which means a lot of work and pre-planning. So my original question was meant to say is it possible to download the entire file.
I am currently in Coober Pedy about to head west on the ABH and to the SW of WA and exactly where I have not decided I will just see where the road takes me.
I hope I have explained my self.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 822883

Sponsored Links