Review: Digital Maps

My Article Rating: My Rating 5/5

I have been using the Memory-Map topo software for several years now and can advise that when going bush, it wins hands down to any of the 1:250,000.
The benefits include:
- being able to download all maps to your portable device (tablet/smart phone) prior to a trip so that you are not dependent on the cellular network coverage
- being able to shift from 1:250,000 when travelling along highways to 1:25,000 when off road and moving quite slowly.
- The added detail in the 1:25,000 maps make understanding the terrain all important when moving through steep country.
I have mates that only have the 1:250,000 software and in all circumstances I have a lot more trails depicted (read that smaller & more fun to 4WD along) and in some circumstances tracks that show as connecting through on the 1:250,000 software, have a defined break in the track on the 1:25,000 maps (usually due to a steep valley or similar) and they don't actually connect (rather important function when out in the bush exploring).
The only downside I find to the Memory-maps is that the user interface could be a whole lot more intuitive. It is quite clunky in modern terms and could certainly be improved.
The reality is that when we go off-road my mates are always looking to me to provide the accurate trail direction.
Simply speaking I would not go off-road without the Memory-map software.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Sponsored Links