2002 Prado GXL Brake Warning Light Coming On

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:07
ThreadID: 10945 Views:2914 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just completed 55,000 km and the brake warning light is coming on when I were going up rough hills over the weekend.
Checked the fluid and it is just below half in the reservoir and removed both the front and rear wheels for a check of the brake pads which are around 25% remaining.

I think the low fluid sensor may be bring the light on when on steep hills. When I removed the wheels there was not any signs of fluid loss anywhere.

Has anybody else had this problem when the brake reservior gets very low when pads start getting down to 25% or less on a Prado?

Maybee not enough reservoir cappacity to compensate for the brake wear?

Any ones thoughts appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:26

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:26
Bodie,

Have you got ABS? If you have the brake reservior should be huge. If not the reservior was probably not topped up at the last service. Checking all the fluids should be done at every service regaurdless of what is in the scheduled service.

The last bit of the pads wear quick so it might be time for a pad change.

WayneAlways Out'N About
AnswerID: 48908

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:59

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 18:59
Had a similar prob with a Disco. Went on for yonks .. always topping up brake fluid with no obvious sign of leaks.

Turned out it was leaking from the master cylinder back into the servo unit. When it was finally fixed there was quite a volume of fluid in the unit.

Something to keep an eye on if you find you need to top up more often than you should.Fidei defensor

Rosco
AnswerID: 48911

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 21:23

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 21:23
Bodie,

From what we've found with tojo's, the fluid level drops as pads wear, as stated above. We always check pad wear each service, but once that small groove in centre of pads is almost gone, it's time for new pads. New pads are a lot cheaper than new discs, even DBA discs.

If you top the master cylinder up now, it will overflow when you put new pads in. The front pads are easy to check when underneath the vehicle, but always find we have to remove the rear wheels, to do a proper check on that end.

Disc pad change would be one of easiest jobs on a tojo, don't even get your hands greasy!

Hooroo...

AnswerID: 48939

Reply By: donk - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:46

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:46
Bodie

90 Series Prado's do bring the brake warning lamp on when the fluid level is slightly low so i think will be the reason yours is coming on

Regards Don
AnswerID: 48980

Reply By: Phil G - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:12

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 16:12
Yep,

Just top it up, and the light will go out. The brake fluid should be replaced every 40k/2yrs anyway. Bet yours wasn't done at 40k :-))
AnswerID: 49024

Sponsored Links