New increased driving offence penalties in W.A. from 26th Sept 2014

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 17, 2014 at 21:58
ThreadID: 109538 Views:5882 Replies:4 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone! - Just a heads-up to advise of the newly increased driving offence penalties in W.A. from 26th Sept 2014.
Fines are increased by around 25-33 1/3% on average. Possibly the smallest increase is in seatbelt offences - up by about 10%. Some have gone up 300%.

At a quick glance:

Using a mobile phone whilst driving - going to $400, currently $250. (4 points)
Not wearing seatbelt - going to $550, currently $500. (4 points)
Speeding - not more than 9kmh over - going to $100, currently $75. (0 points)
Speeding - between 9kmh and 19kmh over - going to $200, currently $150. (2 points)
Disobeying a "no entry sign - going to $300, currently $100. (3 points, up from 1 point)

Demerit points appear to be largely unchanged. However speeding between 29kmh and 40kmh over the limit, now incurs 6 demerit points (previously 5).

Since last Easter, double demerit points apply to the offences listed below, on holiday periods and long weekends.

Drink or drug driving
Speeding
Failing to wear a seat belt and child restraint
Running a red light
Illegal use of a mobile phone while driving

The full list of new penalties is available here as a download ...

New driving offence penalties from 26/09/2014

Take it easy out there, obey the road rules - and don't contribute to the Govt coffers!
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Munji - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 08:31

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 08:31
I don't believe it's about Govt coffers ol mate.
It's about the large number of idiots that speed, drink drive, run red lights and use their mobiles whilst driving.
There has to be a consequence otherwise no change.
Cheers
AnswerID: 539234

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 08:46

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 08:46
About time and there should be a lot more of it.
AnswerID: 539236

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 08:59

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 08:59
Agree Rod W. For far too long WA cops have treated virtually every offence other than speeding and the occassional phone use blitz, as "discretional" and ignored them.
Maybe after years of not having to bother doing the right thing like indicating their intentions, WA drivers might smarten up a bit....but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.
Anyway no one need worry too much as the cops interest will soon wane and they'll be back to speeding to fill the infringement books.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 823844

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 11:02

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 11:02
Personally, I don't think there's enough patrol cars on the road.
I can drive around Perth all day and only see one or two patrol cars.
Meantimes, there's idiots on bikes weaving through the traffic and doing 20-30k's over the limit, or people running red lights left, right and centre.
The cops are more reliant on fixed cameras than they are on patrolling cars.
There's nothing like sighting a bright candy car to make everyone sit up and drive properly.

I'd like to see the fine for not using indicators, go to $500 - and I've never actually seen anyone booked for it in the last 15 years.
Of all the poor driving habits around, failing to use indicators has to be one of the most dangerous.
It's responsible for a substantial number of crashes and near-misses every day.

However, it looks like the bikes are a self-regulating problem, no need to worry about them.
Four of them wiped themselves out over the weekend, and in every case, they were speeding, and simply lost control.
AnswerID: 539245

Follow Up By: Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:34

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 12:34
Hi Ron
Good post - you're not wanting to wear out their indicators by using them are you - lol.

I've been calling them 'conformators' for years - people use them to confirm they've turned a corner.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 823855

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 16:29

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 16:29
We were in WA on our around Aussie trip. Their seams to be a total lack of knowledge re the use of indicators at a rounder about in WA.

I was behind a 4x4 towing a van in Broome, when going straight ahead at a round about he indicated a right turn, then exited from the RA, no left indicator. WA plates on van. Their were many more incidents like to that one.
FollowupID: 823864

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 17:23

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 17:23
Philipn - Yeah, correct use of roundabouts, and use of signals at roundabouts, is sadly lacking here. The cops have had short educational programs on TV and it still fails to get through to most.
You get the people who are convinced there's a stop sign at every roundabout - which means you have to come to a stop, and look both ways! Talk about infuriating! No doubt they're the same people who start braking, when they enter merging lanes.
Then you get the people who believe you just don't use indicators at roundabouts - and the ones like you came across, who do use indicators, but who fail to understand how to use them correctly.
FollowupID: 823866

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 14:36

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 14:36
in fairness the laws on indicators at roundabouts was only changed to align it to the rest of the nation about 14years ago.
same time as Victoria had relinquish thier much loved car turning left has to give way to car turning right law
FollowupID: 823894

Follow Up By: Phillipn - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 16:08

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 16:08
Some people are slow learners!
FollowupID: 823895

Reply By: Les PK Ranger - Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 16:15

Thursday, Sep 18, 2014 at 16:15
Interesting, a great leap in mobile phone use fine (good) and obviously for rat runners going through no entry signs.

Agree, not enough patrol cars on the roads, it's like the serial road infringers can spot a camera a mile off, and slow down through it.
Patrols are needed to catch them (besides all the other little bad habits out there).
Covert cameras generally catch the very low tolerance ones going 2km/hr to under 9km/hr over . . . while I agree 9 over is a bit high around 60 zones, most people sometimes go a few ks over and adjust back when they notice, and sometimes you can just be unlucky.

A few years ago, SA followed Victorias lead and went from a tolerance of around 10% to a tolerance believed to be a couple of ks over . . . this would make up a huge number of those getting caught here.
Oh, yeah they're called CLIENTS here, lol.

Tell you what though, I have noticed drivers in general driving slower throughout the metro and country areas of SA, so cameras probably have adjusted drivers behavior somewhat since their introduction.

Really though, lucky you in WA with those low tolerance speed fine amounts, compared to SA fines :/

Speeding - not more than 9kmh over - $159 + VOC levy $60 = $219 (2 points)
Speeding - between 10kmh and 19kmh over - $349 + VOC levy $60 = $409 (3 points)
. . . and for the real speedsters out there . . .
Speeding - between 20kmh and 29kmh over - $709 + VOC levy $60 = $769 (5 points)

You really DON'T want to know the next 2 levels :/
AND Road trains are up to 120% higher $ penalty.

Agree, be careful out there, stay within the arbitrary limits set, pay attention to driving, rest often on long hauls, and wait for good opportunities to pass others on the roads.
Inattention, fatigue, and impatience are the biggest killers on our roads.
AnswerID: 539254

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 08:40

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 08:40
The core reason why you do not see many patrol cars in WA is because there is no longer a dedicated Traffic Branch. Traffic officer numbers are down and they operate out of Police Stations and are required to perform other non traffic duties.
Level of experience and knowledge of the other traffic regulations is minimal therefore speeding / seat belt are the obvious focus.
If people want more patrol car presence then they need to get off their butt and go complain directly to the Minster for Police because radar cameras, number of patrol cars is all dictated by Parliament. Often called funding, you know the thing that also effects health, education, pensions etc. More money is needed for non value adding things like immigration and donating money to other countries.
FollowupID: 823879

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 08:45

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 08:45
Yes, we have those same issues of lack of feet on the ground in SA, very lucky to see a couple of patrols cars / bikes during the day here too.
I do see a lot more around in QLD when up there though, they seem to be everywhere.

Yes, GOVCO have endless streams of funding coming in from taxpayers, and just fritter it away of waste of time schemes, big project disasters . . . then we just get hit with more taxes to keep the cycle going !!
FollowupID: 823881

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 09:26

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 09:26
Hi Munji. There's still a dedicated traffic section but it's called the Traffic Enforcement Group.
Having lived near and worked right next door to the WA police academy I can tell you their own driving's not so flash either. Cops graduate and 90% go straight into traffic from the academy. Years ago you had to be an experienced cop before you got considered for transfer into traffic.
As a senior inspector told me "If we don't give them a pretty car to drive, they won't join". Says it all really.
And they are very reluctant to do anything except traffic jobs.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 823884

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 09:48

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 09:48
Dead right about "their" driving.

Have a yarn to old friend at the PO yesterday when one of the locals rocked up in his pretty car to get the mail.

On departing, he pulled out, immediately began to turn right at the intersection, and not a hint of right indicator........not even one flash.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 823887

Follow Up By: Slow one - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 18:20

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 18:20
Bob Y,
I was co-pilot in the box office of an Iveco today and the gentleman driving would indicate right when going straight through a roundabout and then not indicate off. It just blew me away.

FollowupID: 823898

Follow Up By: Les PK Ranger - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 18:30

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 18:30
Yep, I see that here, people put right indicator on to enter roundabout, then just go straight through.

Nothing more annoying than that if you're going the other way (having to stop for nothing) . . . ah suppose not indicating at all and turning is the as bad or worse, nowadays, I just slow pretty well and shadow the brakes, because so many just turn in front with no right indicator, or put it on right as they're turning !!

I'd love to see cops get onto this, as well as general (lack of correct) indicator use for lane changes and regular turns.
FollowupID: 823899

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 18:35

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 18:35
Know what you mean, Slow!

Driving through roundabouts can be fraught with much indecision, erratic indicating(if at all) and some danger. Especially those with 2 lanes.............

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 823900

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 18:36

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 18:36
I was a reluctant passenger with a work colleague one day......she couldn't stop gobbing off and looking at me at the same time and then we came to a roundabout.
Oh dear. Absolutely no idea how to signal! Wants to go straight ahead but signals right and then stopped.
We were in the LH lane by the way.
All other traffic also stopped as they were as confused as I was as to what she was going to do next.
I advised her to cancel her indicator and concentrate on the road ahead instead of continually gobbing off......
She left the job not long after blaming me for harassment!
She then went to the police dept in Perth at a much higher level and I can tell you it wasn't because of her ability or intelligence. :-)
AlanH.
PS and on the Mitchell yesterday a brand spanking very shiny Falcon with black mag wheels came on from the left and didn't bother signalling. Driver was a young female cop busy gobbing off to her partner....
FollowupID: 823901

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 at 08:08

Saturday, Sep 20, 2014 at 08:08
Here in SA you wont see the police on point duty when the traffic lights are down. It's now the lolly pop holders job.

Very odd to see.
FollowupID: 823924

Sponsored Links