Troopy long range tanks

Submitted: Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 13:40
ThreadID: 109547 Views:2261 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

This may seem like an odd question. I've got a 75series troopy that's fitted with two opposite lock long range fuel tanks plus the standard tank. They were fitted to the car when I bought it, no idea how long for. I figured they were 90L each.

I've never actually filled either til the bowser stopped, you have to prepay fuel in the part of the world we are in.

The last time we put diesel in the far rear tank it just kept drinking it, far beyond what we thought was 90L. We haven't emptied it in ages so have no idea how much was in there.

Does anyone have any idea what capacity these tanks are?

Also, they seem to feed off some kinda vacuum system although they never seem to empty judging by the range and litres used. Is this just a characteristic of the pump or is it not performing correctly?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 14:09

Friday, Sep 19, 2014 at 14:09
rb30e,

As it's after market, the rear tank may well be 150-170L in capacity. The original tanks were only 90L.

The early 75's original fuel system, when using 2 x factory tanks, was only one solenoid, for the fuel supply. ALL bypass fuel went into the front tank, often causing overflow problems. :-). Later models had 2 solenoids fitted so that both fuel supply and bypass were common to same tank.

As for your fuel supply query, I'd say you might have to track the hoses from each, to analyse what might be happening. Some of the aftermarket tanks were supplied with a solenoid as well, for changeover. Perhaps if all your tanks are at same level, or at least the suction pipes are, then maybe it draws fuel from all three??? This would have some potential to cause some dramas if all tanks were low, and you were traversing very steep terrain. One tank would suck enough air to cause the engine to stall.

As long as you don't run out, eh!

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 539286

Follow Up By: rb30e - Sunday, Sep 21, 2014 at 16:48

Sunday, Sep 21, 2014 at 16:48
It seems like there is a solenoid that switches between the three tanks.
It allows fuel to be pumped from the rear tanks into the front tank.

It has never over filled any of the tanks until the morning I read your post!
I can't figure it. We filled the long range rear tank, drove about 70km and the next day fuel was leaking from the filler cap of the middle tank which was pretty much empty.

I'm going to check the breather system but can't imagine this being a problem like it would with a petrol car.

Any ideas?
FollowupID: 823969

Sponsored Links