the theft of names

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:09
ThreadID: 10957 Views:1543 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Just had MY name ThePublican stollen by THE PUBLICAN,,, beware his attitudes towards this forum as portrayed afew posts down concerning Waeco,,Diamond as Jemmima had the same problem with name theft,,any and all beware,,this will be my last post as the REAL ThePublican,,,,may have to return as "" beer+b-llsh-t "" so no one STEALS my name.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ThePublican - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:10

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:10
post 10935
AnswerID: 48955

Follow Up By: sean - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:19

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:19
Could you at least be a good sport and answer the responses.

Thanking you in advance

Sean
FollowupID: 310786

Reply By: AndrewX - Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:42

Tuesday, Mar 02, 2004 at 23:42
Same thing happened to Truckster. It's a very important issue that you raise and i think it should be looked into. After all people using this forum place great importance on the credibility of the contributors.
AnswerID: 48962

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 00:02

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 00:02
Just a suggestion (I'll probably cop some replies to the side of the head here!), if you are a regular contributor then stump up the cash and join as a member (it only costs $1.00 a week). Then you can have a rig pic and a tag line. That way your posts will be a bit more personalised and recognisable so we can tell the real you.

I know that this may not be perfect, we have had a bit of fun and frivolity with the feathered flock recently, but it seems to me to be one way to maintain your identity.

Perhaps David (EO) can look at a routine that screens the screen names so that not only are there no duplicates but also no near duplicates. There would have to be a good coding challenge there!

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
AnswerID: 48963

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:01

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 08:01
Imposter....who me! hehehe
Wow, am I cute! The extra long legs are built-in prevention against ducks disease. Great looks and a real goer. Doesnt waddle along like some.
FollowupID: 310807

Follow Up By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:04

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:04
Wondered when the long legged one would re-emerge.

Gee, who did your window tinting? Looks a bit darker than legal!

Maybe you needed the dark lenses after the last picture of an antarctic white out!

StevenLPlaydoe GXL TD Manual
It's on order, Delivery in April '04.
This pic will have to do till then. Can't wait!!!
FollowupID: 310824

Follow Up By: Aston - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:13

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 10:13
Just had MY name ThePublican stollen:

Quote:
if you are a regular contributor then stump up the cash and join as a member (it only costs $1.00 a week). Then you can have a rig pic and a tag line. That way your posts will be a bit more personalised and recognisable so we can tell the real you.
---------------------------------------
ThePublican

So why dont you help contribute to the help the survival of the site by becoming a member to protect your name ?."if you use it pay for it"

Cheers Aston
FollowupID: 310825

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:20

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:20
Guys,

I have a duplicate check process on the site already - this was requested about 6 months ago. rouble is that it cannot check for every variation of the screen name so some can come close by adding a space or changing from ThePublican to APublican or The Publican. They cannot be ThePublican as this would trigger the duplicate check process.

Also how about everyone tell me about these issues when they appear and I can take whatever action I can to resolve it. It is a little unfair to come to the system in the morning and have people going off about an issue that I have not had raised with me.

BTW: The issue last week with had nothing to do with someone stealing an identity it had to do with the person changing there identity for every post they lodged. I think - I cannot even remember who was who and I have the ability to know.

I can fix it if I am told.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
--------------------------
Always working, not enough travelling ;-)
FollowupID: 310831

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:15

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:15
Not me either!!!I am human ...I think?
Must be....make too many mistakes!
FollowupID: 310856

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:19

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:19
Now the sunnies do give you away.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
FollowupID: 310857

Follow Up By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:25

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 15:25
reckon a beard is needed too?
what about a wig? or a hat?I am human ...I think?
Must be....make too many mistakes!
FollowupID: 310859

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:27

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 11:27
ThePublican,

I have just read the post where the similar name appears. You asked me a question about the name clash well his name is a little different and his email address is The_Publican@ - This would then seem to indicate that he is more than likley to have used or use this screenname. As I mentioned before I do check the names but his is a little different to yours. (Not by much mind you). It would appear that he has accepted this screenname (as it is different enough to pass the system) and has made some posts I do not think it was a malicious usage of your name.

You certainly asked him about the screenname and he replied - You must understand that there could be more than one publican out in the world that has adopted this screenname. What would you like me to try to do to resolve this issue as you have been around longer and I would be happy to try to resolve this issue for you.Regards
ExplorOz Team - David
AnswerID: 48987

Follow Up By: Bitsumishin - Mike A (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:17

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 20:17
For my 2 cents worth. First paid up "member" should get preference.Here's Mud in your Tyre
FollowupID: 310905

Follow Up By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:01

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 00:01
Hi David
If we can go back a bit in time hardly anyone had a (State, town etc ) with there name, it's no different to being a "John" there is lots of them, I have been " Bushie" for about 20 years but don't use it much as there is 100 s of us.

My 2 cents worth
CheersPrado TD Auto
Little Desert 11/03
Only a lady driver would do that
FollowupID: 310932

Follow Up By: Anne from Drysdale River Station - Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 15:04

Thursday, Mar 04, 2004 at 15:04
Have just read with interest the name v/s same name saga.
What has me stunned is that anyone who uses this site and gets the fun and good advice from it isn’t more than willing to pay $1 a WEEK to become a member.
When I first made a post I fully expected to have to come on site and check for replies, I was really surprised to find the reply came direct to me ! Does every reply do this, it must be a mind boggling amount of traffic. Do you all realise there must be a cost to Exploroz to do this. On a business web site each submit enquiry can cost a $1 per hit to forward.
What we are talking about here per week is about the value one quarter of a can of beer from a bar, two or three mouthfuls ????
I can’t believe that David has already gone to the lengths he has to avoid this happening when from what I gather people confusion could apparently have been avoided by becoming a member and getting the pic and tag line.
You can all yell at me now if you like but do some of you realise what a great & fun site you are able to use here for free. Personally I think there should be a month free trial then become a member or don’t use the forum. If you can afford a 4 WD and a computer to be on here, then surely the cost of $1 per week can’t be a problem ?
You don’t get nuthin for free nowadays, love it while it lasts.

cheers,Anne

FollowupID: 310989

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 17:51

Saturday, Mar 06, 2004 at 17:51
Well put Anne
FollowupID: 311196

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 22:01

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 22:01
I should be OK ... Who would want the name Bonz??Life ISN'T like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos.
What you do today, might burn your bum tomorrow."
AnswerID: 49054

Reply By: Member Eric - Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:18

Wednesday, Mar 03, 2004 at 23:18
Thanks for clearing that up thepublican, I didnt think you were crude in your aswer's usually , now I know why lol . it wasnt you Venus Bay
AnswerID: 49067

Sponsored Links