Free camps near Coffs Harbour NSW

Submitted: Monday, Sep 22, 2014 at 14:32
ThreadID: 109582 Views:2359 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am looking for some info on free camps near Coffs, We are going up in November but don't wanna pay the fees they seem to want all over the place. (Call me tight if you like lol) so just wondering if anyone can help me find places to camp.

We have 4wds with offroad camper trailers and our group is about 4-5 vehicles with there trailers.

Thanks in advance Steve
Cheers Steve VK2UD
Dents are like scratches but with better stories

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Monday, Sep 22, 2014 at 17:37

Monday, Sep 22, 2014 at 17:37
There used to be one right down near the the harbour. Not sure of current status but maybe overnight only.

Alan
AnswerID: 539400

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Monday, Sep 22, 2014 at 17:54

Monday, Sep 22, 2014 at 17:54
Free camping near the Harbour is now a no no, not even overnight. Fines apply.
Can't recall anywhere free camping is allowed in the Coffs area at all let alone 4 to 5 vehicles with trailers.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 539401

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 23:18

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2014 at 23:18
As Pinko says. They enforced the no camping when they provided a few places for fully self contained motorhomes in the caravan park at $10 per night. Despite press reports to the contrary, the Council assured me that fully self contained caravans are not excluded. Camper trailers would be no go.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 824141

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Monday, Sep 22, 2014 at 18:20

Monday, Sep 22, 2014 at 18:20
Hi Steve,
There are some good 4 wheel drives around the hinterland behind Coffs but I am not familiar with them.

The camp near the jetty, if it still there, is for self contained vehicles only as far as I am aware.

The best one is the drive that starts from Glenreagh and works its way around the hinterland and passes through an old tunnel hewn out of the hillside. This passes along beside the river ?? for some of the run and would be ideal for you guys.

This one featured in one of Roothy’s 4WD Action episodes and they did it with camper trailers also. Mind you Roothy would have taken the worst bit of road that was available but I know it has been done many times in a 2 wheel drive so should not present any great obstacle for you.

It also passes by an old railway station which is now overgrown and returning to bush.

I just found the particular DVD and it features Grahame ??? rather than Roothy.
It is called “4WD Camper Trailer Touring, Mid North Coast Adventure” and is issue 19.
See if you can get your hands on a copy. If you get onto the 4Wheel Drive Action website you may be able to organise a copy for your self.

You would probably also need to do some research for it and a good place to start might be the NSW Forestry Dept in that area.

There is also a good free camp west of Kempsey along the Armidale Road about 100 K west of Kempsey out past Comara and it is called Blackbird Flat and it is right on the Macleay River. Should only be a few people there at the time you are thinking of going.

The road out to Blackbird Flat is tar as far as Bellbrook as far as I recall and it is good dirt from there on. Do a search on it and you will get some more accurate info.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 539403

Reply By: Lucko - Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 12:43

Saturday, Sep 27, 2014 at 12:43
Just returned from a trip up that way. Not much at all in the way of free camps (our preference) but found that basing ourselves at Bellingen Showground a more than reasonable compromise, if that sort of thing appeals to you. Power and watered sites available, as well as unpowered. $25 a night. Easy walk to pub, er, I mean supermarket, a quiet, layed back little town.

Mark
AnswerID: 539584

Sponsored Links